Thoughts About CoB

segaszivos

Jun 29, 2003
Baltimore
Hey y'all. I've been listening to Children of Bodom for slightly over two years now. Of course, they aren't my favorite band, but I do listen to them quite often. I have the first three albums and I have heard most of the newer stuff. I just can't get over the fact that CoB, in general, seems to have a happy sound to them. They don't sound angry or pissed off to me. Alexi Laiho just voice sounds like a happy one and I guess that unique keyboard sound adds to that joyful sound. I know a few others that agree that they don't sound angry, but more joyful. Anyone else agree with me?

Btw, I am serious.

I don't think they sound all that angry either, and I don't care. I mean, sometimes, the songs (titles and lyrics especially) can get pretty cheesy, but the music kicks major ass. I like the vocals a lot, and it's just exactly what I'm looking for in a band.

Looks like theres flaming ahead. Scroll down, reader of the future.

I understand...
I'm a COB fan, I love their music and I think they are VERY talented.
COB is powerful and intense, but if I want something really evil sounding, I listen to thrash or black metal.

heh, yeah. Some of the lyrics are a bit cheesy, but the music is amazing none the less. They are definitely one of the best bands live. Janne Warman, along with Jens Johansson of STRATOVARIUS, are my idols.

segaszivos said:
..Of course, they aren't my favorite band, but I do listen to them quite often.
Wai.. whoa.. ..what do you mean "Of course"?!
:p

I just can't get over the fact that CoB, in general, seems to have a happy sound to them.
It's not letting you sleep at night huh.. I personally never even thought about this. I don't think they sound 'pissed off' in general, but I definitely don't think they sound particularly 'happy'.
And have you read the lyrics of the title track in HCD, for instance?

May I ask what other sorts of music/bands you listen to?

To me, the band is the best combination of everything that matters for my taste so far (except the lyrics) That's why they're easily my number 1 band. The only thing about Bodom that doesn't tickle my fancy is the ridiculous phrase 'hate crew'
Does anyone else think that's corny as hell?

And welcome to the forum, segaszivos.

MagSec4 said:
Wai.. whoa.. ..what do you mean "Of course"?!
:p

It's not letting you sleep at night huh.. I personally never even thought about this. I don't think they sound 'pissed off' in general, but I definitely don't think they sound particularly 'happy'.
And have you read the lyrics of the title track in HCD, for instance?

To me, the band is the best combination of everything that matters for my taste so far (except the lyrics) That's why they're easily my number 1 band. The only thing about Bodom that doesn't tickle my fancy is the ridiculous phrase 'hate crew'
Does anyone else think that's corny as hell?

And welcome to the forum, segaszivos.

hah, yes. I do fine the whole 'hate crew' thing extremely corny :ill:

"Hate Crew" sounds kinda cheesy but it's pretty catchy. I like it. I don't think Bodom's music is happy or angry; only most of the lyrics have some anger in them. It's just music you can go crazy to. It makes me happy listening to them cuz they're my favourite band and though there may be slight imperfections in some songs; I don't hear any. The vocals are great, too. Although I like most of their lyrics, it's the music that's more important to me, especially Janne's keyboarding. :)

@Strato:rofl:eath: Janne's my idol, too! :p

I'm a huge fan of the band; they just know how to play some kickass heavy metal. Some pieces of songs can sound pretty happy; and that doesn't bother me, in fact, I like it! Hard to believe coming from someone who loves necro black metal as well. But they can sound pretty pissed at times in certain tracks as well; IMO. They just...write fucking good music. And they're all talented as hell.

One thing I really love about the band is that I can listen to them and get my death metal, some black metal, some thrash and some good old fashioned 80s metal that I grew up with all in one. I listen to all of the above and with Bodom I just get it all on four CDs. :D They draw from so much stuff it just makes it fun as hell to listen to.

Well i've definitely never ever had as much fun listening to any other band than i have to Bodom. I've listened to them every single day for the past 2 years and havent gotten tired of them, dont know if i ever will. I love everything about them.

I mean Bodom runs the gamut with every kind of musical feeling. Towards Dead end i think is the "happiest" song they have (hate me is up there), but its definitely my favorite. I think SNBN Is the most brutal, love it, and the beginning of Lake Bodom is totally evil sounding. These guys can do anything, God I love this band.

~metal_maiden~ said:
"Hate Crew" sounds kinda cheesy but it's pretty catchy. I like it. I don't think Bodom's music is happy or angry; only most of the lyrics have some anger in them. It's just music you can go crazy to. It makes me happy listening to them cuz they're my favourite band and though there may be slight imperfections in some songs; I don't hear any. The vocals are great, too. Although I like most of their lyrics, it's the music that's more important to me, especially Janne's keyboarding. :)

@Strato:rofl:eath: Janne's my idol, too! :p

I agree completely! Yes, Janne is fucking amazing! :D

I'm in it for the solos, intensity, double bass and the over all skills of the musicians. The LYRICS are cheesier then 80's lyrics. But as Alexi said in an interview he doesn't have dick written until they are actually in the studio so I guess they are as good as one could expect for free flowing them.

Check out www.adagio-online.com for really kick ass solos and key boboard runs that will give Janne cold sweat! :lol: Beside the fact they are French boys they really fucking rock. It was linked to me on the Evergrey site. ENJOY!

Wooah, I am suprised that so many people respnded to my post. :D

MagSec4 said:
I listen to Opeth, Tool, Yes, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Edge of Sanity, Apotheosis, Asguat, NIN, Moonspell, older Metallica, lacuna coil, Jack Off Jill, Katatonia, Mike Pattonisms, Emperor, Bloodbath, Beatles, CSN(Y), and plenty more...

MagSec4 said:
To me, the band is the best combination of everything that matters for my taste so far (except the lyrics)

Yea, its the sound that matters the most, not the lyrics, but I just found their sound to be happy, and I love it. :)

Children of Bodom are fucking talented and thats what makes them a good band.

Yep, the lyrics are pretty cliche when it comes to metal, but their sound makes up for the lame lyrics.

The phrase "Hate Crew" sucks, but it fits their image.

Oh by the way, I am not new to the thread, but thanks for the welcome. :)
I don't post too much in the CoB forum because I r teh n00b. :p

Hate Crew sucks??

Hate Crew Deathroll is the best album name I have ever heard in my life. It's so righteous and lethal :p . What the fuck is a deathroll? I don't know, but it perfectly describes the pump-up type of raging metal contained within the album?

OMG, you gimps... Deathroll=what an alligator does to it's pray to rip off chunks of flesh! Takes the pray under water hooks on and spinns. Not sure how many alligators live in Finland thought? Well Alexi, how many? :lol:

Megadan: A 'Deathroll' is the list of people killed (like in a war or disaster etc..)

Fenrir said:
One thing I really love about the band is that I can listen to them and get my death metal, some black metal, some thrash and some good old fashioned 80s metal that I grew up with all in one.
This is true.