Thoughts on CoB

K-z-H

Dec 22, 2005
Hey, im a new member to this forum although i have been viewing it fer a while. Since I have seen quite a few remarks about how bad or how gay CoB have become recently (mainly with AYDY?) and also specifically about Alexi becoming different, I ws wondering if anyone could tell me why exactly they think what they think of CoB.

I would appreciate it if ppl dint take this as an opportunity to jsut talk shit about the band and other ppls views, but jsut use it as a discussion.

Thanks

Welcome:) I love the new bodom and I don't know why so many people are shitting on them at the moment, ok it aint as good as the old stuff but it's a nice changeimo.

The music just seems to have taken a turn more towards the accessible rather than the brutal and melodic that it initially began as. Many folks here dont have problem with change, unless that change is for the worst. If you got into COB pre hatecrew the change can be a bit shocking, because many of the reasons you initially liked the band are gone - i think thats a reasonably general statement for all us older fans.

As for Alexi himself, he just seems to have let his ego grow a bit, and comes across like a yuppie at times. He can still play the guitar damn well, its just his stage personality.

welcome
if you've been reading this forum you could get the answer for your question.
we've already discussed what's going on here and our opinions.

Final_Product said:
The music just seems to have taken a turn more towards the accessible rather than the brutal and melodic that it initially began as. Many folks here dont have problem with change, unless that change is for the worst. If you got into COB pre hatecrew the change can be a bit shocking, because many of the reasons you initially liked the band are gone - i think thats a reasonably general statement for all us older fans.

As for Alexi himself, he just seems to have let his ego grow a bit, and comes across like a yuppie at times. He can still play the guitar damn well, its just his stage personality.

yea, actually i first got into CoB like with Follow The Reaper, and to be totally honest i actually liek their earlier stuff ALOT more, although i cant realyl say that their new stuff is bad, its not well like u said as brutal as the old stuff. I was also pretty shocked when i first heard AYDY, i was lik WTF?!! I mean for me CoB and detuned, nu-metalish riffs dont really go together...

and as for alexi, ive never seen him live, so i guess thats maybe why i dont know...

COBSteele02 said:
I am an old fan but I still like CoB and AYDY in general.

CoB has been my favorite band since Hatebreeder... I like them more every time I listen to them. Personally, I don't think the new stuff is bad at all. It has a lot more power and attitude than their previous material. As far is the new stuff being worse than the old stuff? I disagree. Songs like "We're Not Gonna Fall" and "Bastards of Bodom" are just as melodic as a lot of their older stuff. SW, HB, and FTR are all somewhat similar... I don't need another one. HCDR and AYDY are both different from their previous material and each other. They've definitely improved.

And as far as Alexi's supposed "ego" goes, I think i'm just missing that whole note entirely... I've seen them everytime they've been to the US (less metalfest.. couldn't go..) and he's for the most part, the same on stage everytime, (amazing, to describe it in a word) as are the rest of the band. He's still the same crazy guitar player who likes to drink and party with fans after the show. That definitely hasn't changed. For someone who has recently been on many tv shows and tons of magazine covers, had ESP create a signature series guitar for him, toured the world, been called a "virtuoso" and placed on the same pillar as Vai and Wylde (his two idols I might add).... Concidering all of that...I don't think he's changed all that much.

K-z-H said:
Hey, im a new member to this forum although i have been viewing it fer a while. Since I have seen quite a few remarks about how bad or how gay CoB have become recently (mainly with AYDY?) and also specifically about Alexi becoming different, I ws wondering if anyone could tell me why exactly they think what they think of CoB.

I would appreciate it if ppl dint take this as an opportunity to jsut talk shit about the band and other ppls views, but jsut use it as a discussion.

Thanks

I'm quite fond of CoB.. They're talanted musicians.. And they make great music, in my opinion..

I think they are still a great band at what they do. They are definitly the best band out there now in the popular metal scene and they do what they do now, well.

I just think the band and the old fans are just in two different mindsets. Obviously the band's tastes and influences have become less technical and less extreme. While the fans (generally anyway) want an evolution of the old.

I definitely prefer Children of Bodom's older stuff. I, too, got into them when Follow the Reaper was released, which was a great album; however, I think their best album was Hatebreeder. The atmosphere on Hatebreeder was amazing; totally reminiscent of forests, aurora (northern lights)...anybody agree?

@Final Product: Yuppie?!?:err: In a recent interview (RockHard magazine) it seemed like Allu didn't like yuppies that much...
And also, many ppl who've met him in 2005 say he's generally nice and not behaving like a rock star. Especially when there's *not* 500 people around asking him stupid questions.
@Brennuvargr: Agreed about the "Hatebreeder atmosphere"!:)

i used to love CoB and they were my favorite band, until i got into more music, i hardly listen to them anymore.