Thoughts on bootlegs?

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
What is the consensus on the board when it comes to bootlegs, specifically what is listed below:

1. Have you ever purchased a bootleg recording (cassette, CD, DVD)
2. Would you still buy one today if the price was right and the recording was good?

1. Yes
2. Possibly

Usually if it's a rare show, or a show with non-album tracks (such as DT's Metallica show), then yes. Otherwise, the sound would have to be exceptional... like from the board. I don't *need* to hear anything live so bad that I have to sit through less than soundboard quality stuff. The studio cd's are enough for me. I want DVD's now, more bands should be doing live DVD's.

More bands are doing live DVD's. I can't believe some of the bands that have put out DVD's; for example, Axel Rudi Pell, which is an amazing DVD, and Narnia of all bands (which is great as well), Blind Guardian have one out, Edguy is releasing one, there is the Star One DVD, multiple Hammerfall DVD's, Stratovarius, Angra, Shaman, etc... and I just hope and pray for a Pain of Salvation DVD!!!

nightwish58 said:
More bands are doing live DVD's. I can't believe some of the bands that have put out DVD's; for example, Axel Rudi Pell, which is an amazing DVD, and Narnia of all bands (which is great as well), Blind Guardian have one out, Edguy is releasing one, there is the Star One DVD, multiple Hammerfall DVD's, Stratovarius, Angra, Shaman, etc... and I just hope and pray for a Pain of Salvation DVD!!!

I think I read that PoS might put out a dvd of BE. Evergrey has one coming out to. I was suprised at the amount of Uriah Heep dvd's. I think Deep Purple has the most though.

As far as bootlegs go, I have the Rainbow live in '77 Munich video and a Genesis compilation video. Let me make it clear that all the genesis on their is all between 1971-1973 and it is about 3 hours.

I don't see any problem with it just as long as the band hasn't released the material. If they want to bitch about you buying a bootleg, just state that they hav'nt put it out yet so you don't have a right to complain.

bootlegs are great.. as long as they are free.

If i buy one I rip it and offer it on the net free. I feel anyone charging for boots that is not in the band is doing something wrong.
I prefer video bootlegs myself. Since most bands release few live videos if any.

tenebre said:
bootlegs are great.. as long as they are free.

If i buy one I rip it and offer it on the net free. I feel anyone charging for boots that is not in the band is doing something wrong.
I prefer video bootlegs myself. Since most bands release few live videos if any.

There are probably as many opinions of bootlegs as there are bootlegs, I say to each his own. IMO it should be done the way they do in some Euro countries, that is set aside an account for the band with royalties from the sales, that is until the Euro version of the U.S. RIAA went insane on boots a few years back. Now the royalty system may not even be used anymore. I agree the bands should always get a fair cut. I don't agree with the RIAA stance that they are looking out for the bands, when in fact they're just looking out for the labels.