thoughts on digi002r

Digi002 pros:

4 built in pre's
Ability to run Pro Tools
Can be run on Firefire

Cons:

More expensive for not too much better a unit, overpriced in general.

MOTU Pros:

More ADAT i/o's
More i/o's in general
Single rack space
Cheaper

Cons:

No built in pre's
No ability to run Pro Tools.

Out of the two, I'd personally go with the Digi002r, but used, simply for the fact that it runs on FireWire, and mobility is a big part of what I do.

Have you looked into an RME FireFace at all? Absolutely KILLER converters and awesome pre's built in, for not much more if you look around. Used 800's go on eBay for 1000-1200 all the time, and you can get them for 1250 new at Guitar Center if you ask nicely/haggle the sales-douche.

any specific reason why you'd avoid the 2408mk3?

i own one, and im trying to decide of i should just invest into protools now, or hold out and go ahead and get a nice mic pre with adat so i can start using my 2408 instead of my p.o.s. firepod

i almost went RME, but i got the 2408 for 50% off at samash, brand new.

firewire has a limited bandwidth in compairson to PCI. im fairly certain thats why protools HD systems are pci or pci express based.

Like I said - a big part of what I do involves mobility, and my main machine is actually a laptop, so PCI cards aren't an option for me.

The Firepod isn't SO bad, you just have to watch how hard you push it. The limiters are really weird, and ruin everything they touch. Aside from that, I really dig mine - solid little unit, although I still want an RME.

If you're already working nicely with another program and have a 2408 already, sell the Firepod, buy something like a DigimaxFS, or even better, an RME OctaMic, and run with that MOTU!

in my opinion, i would stick with the motu, get some pres and a good clock to sync everything. protools hd is really great. protools le isnt all that great and way overpriced. if you dont have paying customers demanding protools then you dont need it. if you are gonna sell the motu, go with a fireface, as its pretty much the best interface out there under $2000.00. just get what you know will be a jump up. unless you need protools the 002 wont be stepping up soundwise.

ive made it a strong point to tell all of my clients who are misinformed about protools, like "you must have protools to have a good cd" is false. i've never worked with protools but with the way it has taken over the audio industry i know that it just might be inevitable that i'll have to work with it at some point in time.

im gonna stick with the motu and get some good pre's. thanks for the help/answers/suggestions.

-Joey

Playing devil's advocate as my experiences with PT are limited (I'm a Sonar/Nuendo guy), but I'd love to know if anyone can prove the audio benefits of one sequencer over another. I've seen plenty of reviews in terms of features, but I'd love to know if someone's got the same tracks with the same inputs/plugs/fx/etc and mixed a project in the 4 or 5 main DAW's out there and proven the sonic qualiities of one sequencer application over another.

sparkyness said:
Playing devil's advocate as my experiences with PT are limited (I'm a Sonar/Nuendo guy), but I'd love to know if anyone can prove the audio benefits of one sequencer over another.

Peter Weihe has tested it.
Peter is THE mosted booked studioguitarist of germany/europe, he's a tone-monster and perfectioist (visit him in his studio and you know what i mean). even Massenburg relies on his opinion about his products, Peter is the guy that really has got the golden ears.
I went through some hardware tests with him...i never thought that monstercables can sound so crappy compared to his custom-made data cables....
i never thought RME converters sound like shit, but compared to his golden lavry prototype they do....(they're like 11000 bucks for a 2 channel on though :) )
although he's mainly using PT he told me he did several DAW tests and soundwise nuendo was the best, followed by PT and Logic was the worst (of the three he tested).

and he's the man, if he tells so i trust him.

personally i compared cubase/nuendo to logic, and soundwise logic does suck compared to nuendo (i tested, before i knew about his test)

as far as speedy editing, compatability between other studios and stability, pro tools is the best daw (imho)

granted le has its limit without the music production toolkits, but i dont think the 002 is overpriced for a second

greyskull said:
as far as speedy editing, compatability between other studios and stability, pro tools is the best daw (imho)

i second the compatability thing, definitely true.

i doubt the speedy editing, of course way better than with logic, but i grant you I'm editing faster and cleaner in cubase than it would be possible in PT.....
ok, ready for the contest ;)

just kidding, i think it depends on how you're used to work, of course for a PT guy editing in PT is the fastest way, but the same goes for cubase.
i think getting used to a software influences the way how you're working.
e.g. I'm incredibly fast in cubase, but pretty slow with PT, everytime i have to work with PT I'm cursing all the time and miss dozens of features cubase has got that make life (for me!) easier and editing faster. I'm sure for someone used to PT it's the same thing.

what goes together...grows together...