thoughts on digi002r

LSD-Studio said:
i second the compatability thing, definitely true.

i doubt the speedy editing, of course way better than with logic, but i grant you I'm editing faster and cleaner in cubase than it would be possible in PT.....
ok, ready for the contest ;)

just kidding, i think it depends on how you're used to work, of course for a PT guy editing in PT is the fastest way, but the same goes for cubase.
i think getting used to a software influences the way how you're working.
e.g. I'm incredibly fast in cubase, but pretty slow with PT, everytime i have to work with PT I'm cursing all the time and miss dozens of features cubase has got that make life (for me!) easier and editing faster. I'm sure for someone used to PT it's the same thing.

what goes together...grows together...

precisely id be rubbish if i tried to use cubase now!

i swear i don't actually know one short cut in it now!
but i know all the PT ones.

i just love some of the useful small things in tools, like consolidating, saving session copy in; save region as file etc.

Oh and did i mention beat detective and tab to transient...... aint nuffink else got that

However i think all daws have their pros and cons and minor annoyances, for me its the fades in pro tools, nothing other than that though really

greyskull said:
precisely i
i just love some of the useful small things in tools, like consolidating, saving session copy in; save region as file etc.

Oh and did i mention beat detective and tab to transient...... aint nuffink else got thaty

cubase has got all that, too ;)

cubase has only one major disadvantage (for me), it sucks in sidechaining....they have fixed that issue in 4 tho.

I'm actually just trying to find my way in tools atm, 'cause i just got a 002r with the le-version.
i think it is a hughe plus for any engineer to be familiar with more than one prog.

It just drives me crazy to search for hours for functions i know the shortcuts for in cubase :)
I'm planning to become really comfortable with PT in the next weeks, does anyone know some cool tutorials?

I'm more familiar with logic, and 'cept very good plugins and comfortable sidechaining functions it still sux major ass!
damn, i just want to create a track wherever i want either in environment, or arrange, or whatever....in logic you have to fuck way too much with creating objects, assigning functions, routing in environment and then again create track in arrange....
stupid software!

in PT and cubase i just add a new track, specify audio, midi, group or whatever function, and it is there!
in cubase i don't even have to route (assuming it's an aux bus) input etc, i can just send whatever track's aux-send to it even without specifying input of the aux...

have i already mentioned that i hate logic ?

i hate logic!

i really do!

arrange window in logic looks and works like

images

to me.

LSD-Studio said:
cubase has got all that, too ;)

cubase has only one major disadvantage (for me), it sucks in sidechaining....they have fixed that issue in 4 tho.

I'm actually just trying to find my way in tools atm, 'cause i just got a 002r with the le-version.
i think it is a hughe plus for any engineer to be familiar with more than one prog.

It just drives me crazy to search for hours for functions i know the shortcuts for in cubase :)
I'm planning to become really comfortable with PT in the next weeks, does anyone know some cool tutorials?

I'm more familiar with logic, and 'cept very good plugins and comfortable sidechaining functions it still sux major ass!
damn, i just want to create a track wherever i want either in environment, or arrange, or whatever....in logic you have to fuck way too much with creating objects, assigning functions, routing in environment and then again create track in arrange....
stupid software!

in PT and cubase i just add a new track, specify audio, midi, group or whatever function, and it is there!
in cubase i don't even have to route (assuming it's an aux bus) input etc, i can just send whatever track's aux-send to it even without specifying input of the aux...

have i already mentioned that i hate logic ?

i hate logic!

i really do!

arrange window in logic looks and works like

images

to me.

beat detective?? tab to transient?
in cubase?
errrrr what?

buy a set of keyboard short cut stickers off ebay!
makes life a lot easier
it becomes second nature after a while, but until you get that down its super handy.

you could get the method one dvd to cover the basics, like the edit modes etc, shuffle has saved my session before!

Answering the original question, I'm very happy with the digi002r myself. I don't feel that it's limiting me at all, and most quality problems are from the performance of the bands, or my eingineering. So I reccomend it. Haven't tried much else though.

do you use the pre's much on digi002 cause i only have behringer ada8000 for pre's and was not to disappointed in digi001 pre's i mean.

i have gotten good results with behringer and digi pre's but its all i have to work with and i ain't gonna let it hold me back:headbang:

I'm upgrading to digi002 in like 1 week so I'm curios and i know soon as i buy the 002 the 003 will probably come out and price will drop big time on 002:Smug: ....

DSS3 said:
Logic usually sounds like shit because people don't change the panning law. By default, it's set to ±0db - it should be at -3db.

has nothing to do with the sound of the software....
problem is more about different (better-worse) algorithms etc.

panning law does not change the sound, it just means that you'd pull your channel fader down a bit compared to the same track with a different panning law.

greyskull said:
beat detective?? tab to transient?
in cubase?
errrrr what?

jepp ;)
it's just called differently (hitpoints, audio anchor etc)
but anyway i prefer the other way:
drumediting without quantize audio/beat detective, tab to transient

greyskull said:
buy a set of keyboard short cut stickers off ebay!
makes life a lot easier
it becomes second nature after a while, but until you get that down its super handy.

you could get the method one dvd to cover the basics, like the edit modes etc, shuffle has saved my session before!

thanks for that tip.

anybody paired a 2408mk3 with a mackie 800r?

that's pretty much the route im goin

i also think i will be switching from 96khz to 44khz sample rate, staying at 24 bit... any quick thoughts on that?

i can't stand logic either, its too slow to do simple things. protools is good but its compatibility is only with itself, so that makes it suck (you can't run protools without PROPER protools hardware). i'm looking into digital performer as it has seemless integration with protools functions, along with easy and quick drag-drop functions. shit protools doesn't have, but nuendo does. i am thinking its the best of both worlds. not sure how it sounds in comparison, since I haven't done a head to head test. it is really all about what you want out of the DAW software. anyone else work with MOTU hardware (like the traveler) and software who can testify in comparison to protools and other hardware/software.

joeymusicguy said:
anybody paired a 2408mk3 with a mackie 800r?

that's pretty much the route im goin

i also think i will be switching from 96khz to 44khz sample rate, staying at 24 bit... any quick thoughts on that?

i would definetly reconsider going withj rme fireface over almost anything else. best reviews over and over again. best clock and converters out of all the firewire boxes for sure. the pres will hold up favorably as well. the verdict is still out on the apogee ensemble, still too many problems with that box. im at 24 bit 44khz here with no complaints. best of luck.

i would definetly reconsider going withj rme fireface over almost anything else. best reviews over and over again. best clock and converters out of all the firewire boxes for sure. the pres will hold up favorably as well. the verdict is still out on the apogee ensemble, still too many problems with that box. im at 24 bit 44khz here with no complaints. best of luck.

i've had some issues with my motu 2408mk3 in the past
turns out i had an old pci card, and a new computer, they didnt like each other

after me and the dealer got it worked out, i got a new unit

but today i tried it out for a little while during a session (i havent tried it on client time yet), and it started blinking and doing all sorts of weird unecessary things, wasting me and my client's time

so i unhooked it and went back to the trusty but crappy sounding firepod

i think a fireface is in my near future...

Can't say I regret it. I think the best thing is that I no longer THINK about my interface when I'm dialling in a sound. If something doesn't sound quite right, it's either another piece of gear, or (more likely) me at fault. I don't question the Fireface.

a little off topic but what's "tab to transient" in digital performer?