Thoughts on Dismantling Devotion

Sam_Seed

Drunken Master
Dec 9, 2002
Raleigh
www.burning-village.com
Now that the album is out, I'm surprised to not see anyone really talking about it. What do you think of Dismantling Devotion?

Personally, I think it is a brilliant piece of work... a near perfect collection of master crafted songs filled with so much emotion, its hard not to be moved by them. My two favorite tracks so far are 'Dead Air' and 'All We Had'. These two songs in particular showcase the exquisite writing and execution on this album. I really hope everyone is enjoying it as much as I am.

You've already got the album ?
Remember where you're living...Raleigh ?
So you've been the first to be served.:lol:
Don't worry, I'll post as soon as I'll be able to drown into the flow of this album....

I think Dismantling Devotion is the best album to come out so far in 2006. My favorite tracks are the title track, All We Had, and Solitary Refinement. The production is perfect for the CD and all of the songs are incredibly well crafted. I enjoy how every Daylight Dies song is incredibly unique while maintaining the signature Daylight Dies sound. Also, the last minute of A Life Less Lived is something worth noting. It is just pure brilliance. I can't get enough of how that song ends. I don't know what it is, but the melodies just fit so well. Anyway, I'll stop rambling and just say two thumbs up for a job incredibly well done. It would take near a miracle for this to not be at the top of my best metal albums of 2006 list.

the-lull said:
You've already got the album ?
Remember where you're living...Raleigh ?
So you've been the first to be served.:lol:

Yeah I guess I didn't think of the fact that you European folks may not have had the chance to get your hands on it yet. You are off the hook for now ;)

I knew living in Raleigh would finally pay off someday :p

ForeverDeparted said:
I think Dismantling Devotion is the best album to come out so far in 2006. My favorite tracks are the title track, All We Had, and Solitary Refinement. The production is perfect for the CD and all of the songs are incredibly well crafted. I enjoy how every Daylight Dies song is incredibly unique while maintaining the signature Daylight Dies sound. Also, the last minute of A Life Less Lived is something worth noting. It is just pure brilliance. I can't get enough of how that song ends. I don't know what it is, but the melodies just fit so well. Anyway, I'll stop rambling and just say two thumbs up for a job incredibly well done. It would take near a miracle for this to not be at the top of my best metal albums of 2006 list.

Very flattering and rewarding to read detailed comments like this. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

I encourage anyone else out there who has the album to do the same.

Also, if you've found the new album in stores, we're interested to hear where.

I've tried to purchase it in the past couple of days here in London, but alas, no luck. I just can't seem to find it. I had to buy the new Katatonia instead (not too bad). The major websites also seem to be lacking in stock (play, amazon).

From the fact that on the play website it says customers also bought, and that it is unavailable, I'm guessing they've already sold out.

I bought the album this past Tuesday at Newbury Comics in North Attleboro, MA. The first thing that really jumped out at me about the new album was the production. Once the heavy guitars take the place of the acoustics at the beginning of "A Life Less Lived," it sounds pretty powerful. The songs are all still too fresh for them to really stand out, but I'd say "A Dream Resigned" is my favorite track so far.

Well... I can say, that Dismantling Devotion is the best album that I've ever heard... You gous did an awesome work... You had some cool ideas about the songs... on with clean wokals, on with a clean vocal and growl, one doesn't have any vocals... all songs are so perfect... my fealing about this album? hmm... i can't describe it... when I'm listening this album I'm in a strange mood... and it's a greate experience every time I listen it... congratulations you guys... hope to see you some day in Europe :)

I'm also pleased with the album (yes, I downloaded and burned it, but Jesse has my pre-order already), I have to say I wasn't blown away from the start (maybe because my expectations were huge, which is always dangerous..). The songs had to creep their way underneath my skin and this process is still going. For me it takes time for the melodies and grooves to stick in my head.

So far my favourites are "A Life Less Lived", "Strive To See", "Lies That Bind" & "Dismantling Devotion".

Also I think the production is massive and Nathan is a great replacement for Guthrie (who also was great), great desperation-ridden vocals.

A while ago already I started a topic about Daylight Dies on Dutch forum community Metalfan.nl and finally people are starting to pick up on you guys there, about time..

I'm extremely impressed with this new album, I mean the first album was good, but this one is just leaps and bounds better. I'm not sure how the guys found the inspiration to write such fantastic songs, lots of emotion and soul went into them and the approach they took on the vocals is flawless. I have the Wehrwolfe CD "Godless we Stand" that Nathan Ellis used to sing on and I thought he had an excellent growl, now combine that with some stellar clean vocals and you have a perfect match. I decided to try and support the band and order the CD and shirt directly from them, which I think is a great idea, I would rather do that than go to a store and buy it.

Anyways, I hope you guys (Daylight Dies) see some sucess and have a great 2006, it would be cool to see you guys on tour sometime.

Thanks for creating such a superb album.

Vance

I got my preorder today. :kickass: So far I have listened to it 3 times. My favorite tracks have to be Dead Air, Lies That Bind, A Dream Resigned, All We Had, and Solitary Refinement> IT was a little hard to take it all in at first (Just like This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore.) But just like TGE, I will be listening to this ALL THE TIME. Everyone will experience the kickassness of Daylight Dies as it blares from my car stereo. I cannot stop listening. Especially now, the desperation, the gloom, and the hope that comes with these songs really hits the spot. Nathan Ellis couldn't have been a better vocalist for Daylight Dies. He absolutely kicks ass. He has that voice of desperation that I love about Guthrie. The guitars are great in the fact that we have alot more variation in the playing styles. Acoustics were added, and the solos, wow. I don't know what to say. The guitars scream that Daylight Dies distinctiveness. Jesse like always, you know what to do and when to do it when you play. Now, Egan owns. From No Reply I had no idea Egan could sing. Egan really adds a new dimension to Daylight Dies. Dismantling Devotion has shown thatn Daylight Dies music is progressing and becoming more dynamic. Man, this owns. Thanks alot Jesse for the stickers. One's on my guitar and the other is going on my sexy Mustang. :hotjump:

I got my copy yesterday, and have listened to it 4 or 5 times. I must confess that initially I preferred No Reply, but after more listenings this is growing on me, in the way that many of my favourite albums have.

We've heard all the Katatonia and Opeth comparisons, and I definitely hear many of the former and some of the latter. But I also spot hints of Draconian or My Dying Bride in Solitary Confinement, or Silent Enigma-period Anathema and Icon-era Paradise Lost in A Life Less Lived. There are even slight similarities to earlier Lacuna Coil here and there, with clean vocals or guitar melodies over simple yet syncopated rhythms. Despite the comparisons though, it sounds unmistakably like Daylight Dies, with just as many links to previous work as to other artists. The ending of A Life Less Lived harks back to the harmonies on one of the tracks on the Idle EP, for instance. And of course all the trademarked smooth key changes and tempo changes we've come to expect are out in force.

On a production level, this is simply excellent. Egan's bass comes through powerfully and clearly, showing the basslines that are more interesting than is common for this style of music. Jesse's drum sound has undergone a marked improvement also. After hearing the Lies That Bind demo I was a little concerned that the rhythm guitars might lose their previous crisp edge but those fears were dispelled when I got the final version. The leads cut through beautifully (and in a way that I am never able to replicate on my home recording mixes, I note to my irritation ;) ) and Nathan's vocals are close enough to Guthrie's to leave no room for disappointment while being different enough to carry a unique character. And the only problem with Egan's clean vocals is that there aren't enough of them. ;)

Are there any negatives to be found then? Possibly there aren't as many memorable lead solos on this album, nor is there seemingly an equivalent to Unending Waves which, for me, was a great compromise between being a catchy and accessible song but lacking none of the Daylight Dies complexity. A Dream Resigned probably comes closest in this regard. Still, these are truly small gripes among the weight of quality on display here, though. I have Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance on the desk here beside me, and despite not being heard yet, it's not getting played until I feel like taking Dismantling Devotion out of the player, and I guess that says it all.

Absolutely amazing! Everything that I wanted to be in No Reply but wasnt, is in this! Still loving the melodies, I draw comparisons with my favourite band Novembre in the melodies, even though they don't sound exactly the same they give me the same feeling. Daylight Dies melodies are pretty unique I think.

More than anything though, on this record contrasts are what I noticed and appreciated most. Although No Reply was incredibly well thought out, and the song structure imaginative and original....with this album, there is contrasts in sound and atmosphere that really grabbed me. I felt the contrasts were less prominant in No Reply. I love the clean vocals mixed in there as well.

Well done all round, I love the album...more than I do No Reply and that was already a favourite of mine. I knew this wasnt going to dissapoint...but this is so much better than merely not dissapointing.

Maybe I will have to tab something from it, I get that urge when I hear something I love....damn thats sad isnt it. Nevermind.

I recieved my much anticipated album this afternoon, and finally got to sample the wonder that is Dismantling Devotion.

The entire album is absorbing, and thoroughly emotive. It surrounds you with a wall of sound, but in a protective rather than agressive way, leaving me drawn to listen with no distractions. I think it may well be a long time before I can start this album without having to listen to it from start to end.

I don't think I've ever heard an album where the vocals are so contained within the songs, by which I mean that the lyrics are an extension of the tune, as they as so well matched together in the feelings they convey and the thoughts they bring to mind.

The booklet layout deserves a mention too, its beautiful, and has as much of a dark, yet almost welcoming/nostalgic feel to it as the album itself does.

I don't feel that at the moment I can comment on individual songs, having only listened to the album once through I couldn't do any of them justice. So basically, thanks guys for creating this, thats pretty much all I've got to say. I only wish I was better at putting my thoughts into words so that I could get across just how much this album is stunning me right now.

I've received the album...
Give me the time to express what I feel, cause I don't think I'll be able to find the right words.
The only one I can afford for the moment is a huge "Thank you" to the band.