Thoughts on First Strike Still Deadly

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
I was wondering if this album is worth getting? I heard the songs are rerecorded, and they have better production, but they probably lost some of the feeling of the original recordings. Is this album worth it? I'm iffy about these type of recordings, but some can turn out good what does the Legion think.

I love it as well. It's different than the originals, though. Try getting them too, not getting FSSD instead. The production is amazingly clean- I'd say sterile and thus the atmosphere/vibe is gone (or I'd rather say- it's different). Chuck's voice is different, lower (but there's not much growling)- he recorded his parts right after chemo therapy, but sounds killer. The drums are great, Zetro delivers on two old-school songs and Alex has a very jazzy feel to his solos and he altered some of them pretty much (Disciples!, First strike..). My three favourites would be "The Preacher" (I like this version many times more than the orginal one), "First strike.." and "Burnt offerings".
I like the fact it's a different album with changed songs- not just better production of the old ones (I really got used to the sound of TL and TNO- and I think PWYP and SOB are the records that would benefit from reproduction much more)

I only really regret they played mostly the most popular (and overplayed live) songs and omitted great tunes like:
A Day of Reckoning (!)
Do or Die
Raging Waters
C.O.T.L.O.D.

I hope they find the time to do it to "Practice.." and "Souls.." (If those can't be remixed due to ownership reasons)- 'cause these great records deserve such tribute too.

I love this CD !!
The sound is amazing ! Also Tempesta did a great job on drums (Over the Waaaaalllll :headbang:) !!!
I wish they had included "Apocalyptic City" too...

It's Tempesta who makes the real difference on the re-recordings!

I'd agree. Steve DiGiorgio definitely too. The band is EXTREMELY tight. All of the songs are played in D instead of E at a sightly slower tempo. It works well for some songs(heavier ones) and not as well for others(Haunting, New Order). The production improvement on songs from The Legacy is extremely noticable. The songs from New Order didnt need changed (that album is epic), but theyre still good.

First Strike Is Deadly (opening track) is the best, imo. I never loved the original verison but this verison kills. Slowing it down helped b/c it was played extremely too fast on The Legacy. The solo has time for feeling and Alex drops a gem.

Some songs from PWYP, wouldve been nice b/c I always felt that album was too mainstream sounding. I'd rather hear them redo songs like this than put out another stupid "greatest hits" album.

For anyone who doesnt own originals, BUY THEM. A Day Of Reckoning, Eerie Inhabitants and Musical Death are 3 of my favorite Testament songs of all-time.