Thoughts on Mackie HR824 monitors?

One of those monitors no one can agree on. Some love them, some hate them. the ones that love them tend to prefer the older non-rounded corner ones.
I like them though I prefer the smaller 624s.
I'd say that's a great price for really solid speakers. Combined with some 5" or even 3" speakers for detailed mids and you're set for a long time.

That's an amazing deal, do it!

The Mackies are solid and they translate well. I've been mixing professionally on them for maybe 7-8 years and have never felt the itch to upgrade. Yes, there are better monitors out there, but the once youre familiar with them the 824s are as good as anything in their price range.

I've owned a set of 824 mark 2s. They're quite different to the mark 1s. They have a ridiculously extended bottom end which is tight as hell. Their problem is they lack detail in the mids and therefore translate really badly. I now have Adam A8Xs and they're superior in every way.

I really wouldn't recommend the Mackies unless you need the insane low end - even at that price. A8X or A7X would be a better purchase.

This was the first set I 'aimed' to get, but any time I brought them up people that owned them would tell me to avoid, and only ever try to use them as client impressors. I'm not sure if they're the best option for mixing.

AS audiogeek said, its a love hate thing with them, personally i love them but they are very bass heavy, and if you do get a pair make sure to go with the old boxed wooden looking ones, from what i remember the overall build and tonal quality of them is way better.

I have had them for about 8 years now. They do sound good and as Ermz said are client impressors. However they are not the best for mixing, translation is hard because they make shit sound too good. I have them in my library now as just a home stereo setup.

Shit even for the price, buy em, if you dont like them than sell them on ebay and mark it up a little bit. Make a few bucks and invest in some other mons

I have MKI version of those, and I love them, no problems with translating to other speakers. But, I have a very treated room.

And no disrespect to Ermz, but I find it's strange to tell someone who asks about Mackies to buy Adam S3A or KH O300. Not quite the same league, don't it?

I have MKI version of those, and I love them, no problems with translating to other speakers. But, I have a very treated room.

And no disrespect to Ermz, but I find it's strange to tell someone who asks about Mackies to buy Adam S3A or KH O300. Not quite the same league, don't it?

His point is actually pretty valid. Brian said he wants a pair he will stick with for years, and unfortunately, that kind of monitors cost around the 2 kiloeuro mark. I've had my HS80's for two years now, and while I still think they're the best monitors you can get for a reasonable price, I still acknowledge they are from a different world than a pair of Twins, for example.

Can't comment on the 824's though, since the last time I heard those I was fifteen and probably thought "HURR DURR PRETTY LIGHTS ON THAT MIXING BOARD THING THERE DERP DERP:"