Thoughts on Meshuggah - Nothing?

ControlledChaos

Unbleeding
Apr 10, 2002
Bay Area, USA
Visit site
Well this is probably a stale topic but I couldn't find one that has already been discussed, so here it is!

I personally think it's too slow and sub-par compared to Chaosphere. I mean, I like it but it doesn't compare to the over-the-top musicianship, signatures, and complexity of C and DEI. I think part of the problem is these newfangled eight string guitars. They sound too sludgy...who wants to hear a low F note contantly chugged forever...they were better in Bb I think...I dunno that just adds to the sludginess...

...plus, jens's voice seems to have declined in quality! :cry:

I also like it less than DEI and Chaosphere, but I think it was a necessary progression. Their shtick was wearing thin, the new rhythm guitar approach is definitely refreshing even if I'm less fond of the songwriting.

I wouldn't say it's more simple than DEI either; the time signatures on that album are fairly pedestrian compared to what they're doing now.

I also do not like it as much as DEI or Chaosphere, but it's still a very good album. It seems a lot like a mix of DEI and Chaosphere in some ways. There are some really great songs on it too.

I think it is a great album..
it has the catchyness of DEI (who has never started to sing the first riff in it??), and the heavyness od C.
although i still think DEI is theire best album ever, i definetly like it.

To me, Meshuggah sounds like nu-metal in 13/8 or whatever. Well not really, but i can't get into it at all. Though i know the guy who made their 8-strings. He has fixed my guitar numerous times :)

I like Destroy Erase Improve for pure musicianship... it has alot of weird spacey ambient parts which I am highly into... it kind of has that apocalyptic sound.

I think Chaosphere would have to be one of the heaviest albums I've heard. It's mainly just brutality all the way through... although they lost the ambience of DEI.

I still have to hear Nothing, although I heard one track on the radio and liked it immensely.

okay....how anyone can get anything but a nice snooze out of meshuggah is beyond me. There music has no depth...its just werid time signatures, and bad vocals. Someone told me one time they get there guitar riffs from math equations or some shit like that....THERES NO FEELING IN THAT....its just emotionless playing...i just cant get into them.

yes, and i'll state it again you ass licking pedophile, shit eating rim jobbing, cocksucking, salad tossing, big toe licking, sheep molesting, son-of-a bitch who talks shit on the net to boost self-esteem. MESGUGGAH is boring....and so is the front you put up on this board.....loser

Originally posted by DigestingGandhi
okay....how anyone can get anything but a nice snooze out of meshuggah is beyond me. There music has no depth...its just werid time signatures, and bad vocals. Someone told me one time they get there guitar riffs from math equations or some shit like that....THERES NO FEELING IN THAT....its just emotionless playing...i just cant get into them.
Chaosphere is a great album and one of my alltime favourites! Of course it's not beautiful music but
I like these "formal" song structures. Once you understand what is going on, you'll see many interesting rhythms that flow very nicely from one to the other. I love 'em! Too bad Nothing hasn't yet been released over here...

Meshuggah has no feeling? Try Dream Theater...

Sure, they're not the most melodic and flowing of bands, but they're not trying to be either. Their music is rhytmically technical and yes, their time signatures can be figured out through maths equation, so what? That's their style just as much as any band has their own.

they are the only band that can be totally mathed out and still sound like boring nu-metal to me....I'll be over here trying to headbang to Theory in Practice if anyone needs me...

Originally posted by Sadistik
they are the only band that can be totally mathed out and still sound like boring nu-metal to me....I'll be over here trying to headbang to Theory in Practice if anyone needs me...

and so i hope that your head cut off while headbang...

if meshuggah is nu metal i am boyfriend of angela gossow!:D
however i hope that they becoming nu metal

very soon...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i can't buy nothing 'cause here is not on sale!:cry:

i want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

MESHUGGAH Breaking New Ground With 'Nothing' - Sep. 8, 2002

MESHUGGAH recently became the first band in the history of Nuclear Blast Records to crack the Billboard Top 200, landing at #165 with their latest effort, Nothing. They also secured spots on a few other Billboard charts including #30 on the Hard Music chart, #9 at the Core Hard Music stores and #6 on the Heatseekers. Although the band has moved out of the Top 200, after four weeks they continue to chart on the Hard 100, Core Hard Music stores and Heatseekers.

In related news, MESHUGGAH also became the first Nuclear Blast band to be reviewed in Rolling Stone magazine.

MESHUGGAH will spend the next month at home in Sweden before returning to North America on October 2nd for an eight-week tour supporting TOOL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not a fan, but here is some interesting news from blabbermouth.