Thoughts on Meshuggah - Nothing?

Ghandi man, go and download "Ritual" and you'll take back everything you just said.

GO. DO IT. NOW.

I can't stand the new one, it's sludgy, and meshuggah shouldn't be sludgy, and it's slow, and it's almost like bad nu-metal at points. And the vocals blow, which is something i thought i'd NEVER say about meshuggah.

I hated Nothing like nothing else when I first picked it up, but it's really grown on me. I still don't like it as much as Chaosphere, but it's pretty cool. Other than the polyrhythms they use, Meshuggah isn't the most creative, artistic band in the world, but I love the groove and the pissed-off vibe they put out.

Originally posted by Bezrael
Other than the polyrhythms they use, Meshuggah isn't the most creative, artistic band in the world, but I love the groove and the pissed-off vibe they put out.

Nonsense. It's not just the polyrhythms, their entire rhythmic structure is very creative. I can only think of a handful of other bands in metal that are in the same league rhythmically. And who else in metal sounds like Thordendal? He's totally unique within the genre.

Well, since their entire rhythmic structure is based around polyrhythms...

Yeah, when it comes to rhythm, Meshuggah pretty much rules the roost. It's their thing, and they do it better than anyone, but I still don't think of them as an artistic or creative band. Not that they aren't creative, it's just that they're not the first band I think of when I think of creative music (that would be Opeth, Maudlin of the Well, Arcturus, and several others...)

Originally posted by Bezrael
Well, since their entire rhythmic structure is based around polyrhythms...

There's a lot of other rhythmic complexities in their music, some of which aren't entiely obvious if you're not paying attention. Their syncopation obviously (e.g. Soul Burn), but also rhythmic phrasing, structural repetition, etc. Their creativity definitely goes beyond playing in odd meters.

...and they working absolutely good also in harmony between the parts!

most people say that they don't develope melody!

who fuckin' care if they don't develope melodies if they have an incredible atmospherical harmonies!

we are no more in the 19th century!music is evolving!

and i cannot fucking wait for NOTHING(however i hope is something:lol: )

:D

Originally posted by Sadistik
I still think Thordenthals Special Defects should be more popluar, cause it's creative and never boring.
Yeah, I agree...it's a great album. More people need to hear it.

Someonesaid Meshuggah sucked (or words to that effect) because they don't have emotion? That's why I like them. I find the industrious, awkward, mechanical, cold, harsh etc etc etc vibe they have intensely satisfying to listen to given the right mood. And damn, that bassguitar sounds so good playing loud otta my stereo! Am I the only one who enjoys the lyrics immensely????? They're so damn original! Just the way they're written is something i've never seen before in music, regardless of band, genre or topic. (regarding Chaosphere)

no , no you are not the only one...:)

meshuggah write great lyrics on most songs!

in chaosphere the lyrics are really strange and have that man-machine feel that made fear factory sound warm compared!

another incredible thing is that also metrical concatenations of words on singing is really weird is a kind of metal rapping or white version of hip hop rhymes but not derivative of black rap something different...

really different!

nothing is immense....

you are totally crazy!

this is my album of the year!

and my meshuggah fave.

tomas haake play in a way unbelievable and thordendal fuckin kick asses.

there is much more harmonies in one song than in an entire inflames album...

but this is progress in music!

i agree this is new metal...or better...

THIS IS FUTURE OF METAL!

someone is not ready!?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FUCKIN' GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!