thoughts on new guitar sounds

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
I suppose many of you listen to In Flames, Darkane, and Dimmu Borgir. What are your thoughts on how the guitars sound on each band's most recent album (although this may not be the case with In Flames' new album coming out soon)?

The guitars on these albums seem to have less presence and somehow kind of blend in with the bass drums to produce a less harsh sound. I don't know if i can explain it any better. But i really like it. I'm wondering what you guys think and have you tried it out with your recordings at all.

Do you think metal is heading into that direction?

hmm..interesting.

Darkane recorded the guitars for "expanding" in their own studio, after the equipment fiasco they had in the dug out when recording "insanity". I think the guitars actually sound a lot harsher on expanding, it's actually quite amusing how low-fi the guitar sound is on insanity. But what a drum tone!!!!...I also think the kick drum sound on expanding is more attack-ey than inasanity. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but it does sound that in flames, soilwork and darkane have opted for the single-kick drum, double kick pedal sound on their latest efforts. Maybe that explains the "less-harshness" you're talkin bout.

As for Dimmu Borgir; Nick was delibarately toned-down trigger wise, because he stuck out like a mofo on Puritanical. They were going for more of a rougher "analogue" sound, and also pulled the guitar sound back aswell....Funny, I was listening to "in defiance" by old man's child before Death cult was being recorded, thinking, yeah, wouldn't be surprised if Dimmu go for this type of sound on their next record, and then they did. interesting to note there are no tom-triggers on "in defiance" tho.

The new In Flames record sounds awesome. Reroute also had that lo-fi guitar and drum sound that featured on Inasanity, but Insanity's guitars were probably worse with drum tone better, but that temporary studio they set up sounds really good. they still recorded drums in the dug-out, but they also sound more "tech-metallish", much like the guitars.

Watch out for the new Susperia record though! they recorded guitars in Norway, methinks, and drums in Fredman. Sounds more like "Aeon" by Zyklon, than something by Hypocrisy, comparable, but not, to Death Cult aswell, I guess.