Thoughts on the current Poll

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
As some of you may know, we've been running a little poll on the website for one of the songs "Will You Remember", off of the upcoming new album. Out of four 30 seconds songs (the pre-production versions) posted late last year, this was the song that had the most votes from the website.

The point? Well, we've been running a fun marketing test on both accounts for you Kat 5 fans as well as for our own morbid curiosity. The first poll with the four songs was to see what the general Katagory V fan (or someone just dropping by and chekcing us out for the first time)would sink their teeth into the most. We were actually not all that surprised at the song clip that made #1, but thought that one of the heavier, more classic style clips would have been the winner. However, out of the four clips, we choose 4 songs that were very different from each other, two of which were more hook/melodic driven and two that were rooted in the more thrash/traditional vein. But of course, with only 30 seconds of music, it's hard to really get a feel for where the songs were going. The "Will You Remember" song clip pretty much won the poll by a land slide.

On the 2nd poll that is currently running, we have the full-length version (the actual album version) of the song that had the most votes from the four short clips. Now let's see what everyone's opinion is after hearing the whole song that they voted for. ...fascinating! Of course, the voting options listed are kind of silly to say the least, but assuming that people voting were being honest, it has some interesting results! But there is a method to the madness...

If anyone wants to type out any detail to what they picked in the poll, and why - feel free to do so here in this thread! :Spin:

The results as of now:

Leading the poll so far - Really good! I hope the rest of the new album sounds like this!

No surprises here - The irony is, we know everyone likes our more Fates Warning-Esque style songs, and we don't hide the fact that they are a huge influence on our sound. However, when the album comes out, and everyone hears it from beginning to end, this might either disappoint or surprise many when hearing the other nine songs.

2nd runner up - It sounds average to me, I'm sure there is a stronger song on the new album.

A little surprising, but expected being that hearing the whole song has probably changed a few opinions. Those that picked this one might be correct in their assumptions. Or then again, maybe not? A good honest opinion here.

Best Katagory V song... ever!

Hardcore Katagory V fans... We love you! It's no secret who will love this album once they get their hands on it. There is nothing better than that unconditional support.

I've heard better, I hope the new album isn't like this song

...again, an honest assessment. And again, I think those that voted for this, might be pleasantly surprised.

Worst Katagory V song... ever!

:tickled: LMAO! The band was split down the middle on this one, as some of us didn't want any negative connotation to be represented on the poll. However, I pushed for it, as I feel that it's good to have some objective honesty, regardless. So far only one vote for this... Half the band finds it funny that someone out there was that honest and were happy to see the feedback, while the other half of the band think it's just someone being a monkey-ass in our local scene who threw the vote in just to be a dickhead. Either way, it's still funny, and yet awesome to know someone hates that song about as much as several others that love it.

When looking at this fun, yet interesting marketing research, it proves you can't please everyone equally, but there is a good middle-of-the road for a majority of the Katagory V fans out there. But let me tell you the exciting thing, and stress this one more time.... All is not what it seems, and you'll know what we mean when you hear the full-length album.

So in the next two months, this poll will continue to run. And when the new album comes out, we'll try it again with all the songs from the album listed, and see what all of you in the Katagory V rebellion think at that point.

Cheers
\m/
Dustin

Dustin said:
Hardcore Katagory V fans... We love you! It's no secret who will love this album once they get their hands on it. There is nothing better than that unconditional support.
Equally, there are few things worse than a raving fanboy. (Five years of video game retail will teach anyone that. ;)) So I hope I don't sound like a raving fanboy when I say I already know I'm going to love this record.

*deep breath*

Hell, all you guys know how I feel about this band, and you know I'm not kidding when I say that, on my radar at least, there's only one known competitor this year, and that would be a little band originally formed in London's East End on Christmas Day of 1975. That is, unless a certain trio of Canucks squeezes an album out this year too.

Yeah, I know, high praise. But you also know I'm not bullshitting you. I put you up there in that company in my own opinions, I still would if I didn't actually know you guys, and to see the progress this band has made since I discovered you (God, those were early days by comparison, weren't they?) has been absolutely marvellous. I've been fortunate enough to be present at one or two of the most important moments in Katagory V's history; and as a fan that makes me giddy, as a friend it makes me proud, and as, I dunno, an 'honorary member of the crew' at least (as a mod/roadie/someone who's had to occasionally shepherd the odd drunken band member away from trouble! ;)) I feel honoured to be, in some small way, a part of this.

In different times Katagory V might well be a globe-trotting monster by now, but in this day and age the constant, if seemingly slow, but steady progress is praise unto itself. There's been a huge amount of growth shown across the three records so far (well, two and what I've heard of the third), yet the old stuff still has an edge and a vitality to it. That's a fine achievement and one you should all be proud of.

I'm looking forward to this album, I'm looking forward to the upcoming gig (it's still a release celebration in some way, and in fine company, too), I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again as friends, and I'm looking forward to a bright and prosperous future for Katagory V.

Count me as first in line. I love you guys, I still feel deeply honoured to be able to class one of my favourite bands as personal friends, and long may you rock. :headbang:

:kickass: :headbang: :worship:

You are toooo kind mate!

...and while I'm here, I'll comment on the current poll!

This ones for the video and song "Risk and Sacrifice".
The poll has been "augmented" a few times to try and make sense (however, I feel it's still a little confusing) and be accurate. The funny thing is, it was going quite well, until someone at the wee-hours Wedsnday morning, hijacked the poll by plugging in an absured amount of votes for the lowest/worst ranking possible. I only know this because that moringing I woke up to feed my daughter, and there were 22 votes and from the time I put her down and took a shower and came back to the computer (10 min roughly) we gained an extra 68 voted with only 3 visitors in that time frame. :lol:

...hello, Mr. Obvious?

Although I personaly found it funny, It was also quite tactless, so we had to dump that voting option since someone had to be a total ass-hat.

Some people's kids.... :loco:

\m/
Dustin

What, something on the internet ended up inaccurate and horribly skewed by a doofus? Perish the thought, I've never heard of such nonsense, etc, etc. ;)

Something simple, like "Which is your favourite Katagory V album?", or something a little more fun, like "Most interesting pre-gig ritual performed by a KatV member?".