Thoughts on the new disc...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
(cross-posted from the ProgPower forum)

At the show, I was a bit overwhelmed by the new music. It was simply too much to absorb.

1st time I spun the disc, I was disappointed.

2nd time I spun the disc I thought, "Alright, it's not bad."

3rd time I spun the disc I thought, "This is pretty good."

4th time I spun the disc I thought, "This is really good."

I'm spinning it again as I type this (3rd time today) and I realize this is a brilliant disc. Whether it can top Towers of Avarice, I can't say at this point. In fairness, no other Prog Metal disc can top Towers, so it may be unfair to use that as the measuring stick.

One other matter of note... with each spin I grow more and more fond of Chris' vocals. I walked away from his performance on the last Power of Omens CD thinking, "Tate clone". However, I didn't spend too much time with that CD as I didn't care for the music. After having spun the new CD half a dozen times I've come to recognize that there are very few cats who can hang with Chris (in respect to pure technical ability). It's clear now why the Zero Hour boys wanted him.

Zod

That's awesome you're starting to really enjoy the CD Zod and thanks for posting your thoughts.

Even when we write our material we go through the motions is this working and we do so many changes in the process. If the part survives a couple weeks then it's set in place. So I totally understand where you're coming from and glad you took the extra listens.

Thanks so much again for posting your thoughts bro and it was awesome chatting it up a little at ProgPower.

METAL!!

Jasun

I haven't heard the CD yet (Zero Hour has some damn respectful fans!), but you can't call many people a "Tate clone." Haha.

Man, I can't wait! It'll be a nice b-day present, if not a few days late. =)

Speaking of Tate clone's...anyone check out that power metal Nebraskan Cellador band?? Talk about Tate clone!!!!

ytse00 said:
Speaking of Tate clone's...anyone check out that power metal Nebraskan Cellador band?? Talk about Tate clone!!!!
I would say he's not talented enough to be considered a clone. If you want to hear the guy who comes the closest, but in a good way, check out Heathen Machine by Balance of Power. Great disc, amazing production, fantastic vocals.

Zod

I would never compare Chris to Tate...there are some similarities,but I dont think Tate could write a vocal melody over music as complex as this.There is so much going on here...at all times,and not one bit of it is disappointing.After a week or so with this disc,I am placing it up there with some discs I consider classics...

Fates Warning "No Exit"
Savatage "Streets"
Watchtower "Control and Resistance"
Sieges Even "The art of Navigating..."

Chris brings this material to life in the same way that Ray Alder brought "No Exit" and everything else he touched to life.There is so much emotion in his delivery when he sings,you just can't help but stare at the stereo in awe...or stare at him if you were lucky enough to catch the show in Atlanta.Zero Hour brought many smiles to my face in Atlanta,even though I had only listened to the disc once by Saturday afternoon.
Awesome!!!