Thoughts on the new DRAGONFORCE...

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
So I decided to check out the new Dragonforce disc after being positively surprised by the first couple of singles. I've had the disc for about a week now.

I can't stop listening to it.

It's almost like the band decided to get "serious" while continuing to follow on their distinct style of power metal. It's not as cliche, or as videogame-y as it's always been. There's a certain sense of refinement in their music. They seem to have written the music around Marc Hudson's vocals (who by the way delivers a stellar performance on this one). The result is a very balanced combination of some of the catchiest hooks they've ever written with their heaviest riffs. Highlight goes to three videos below and the *amazing* song "The Sun is Dead" which I couldn't find online. Yes. A big prog-sounding organ solo at the end of a Dragonforce song. So cool!

I've heard they are trying to rebrand their band so to speak and regain respect from the serious metal fans. Early reviews and online comments indicate they may have. They have certainly gotten my attention again and surprised the hell out of me.

This will be, without question, on my top 5 of the year. Excellent, excellent disc. I highly recommend it. Some highlights:

The Game:

Tomorrow's Kings (for fans of the 90s super fast, catchy power metal, Lower quality sound on this vid though):

Defenders:

Power metal fans in 2014... buy or die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very much looking forward to this release! Have heard "The Game" and "Defenders" and love them both. Also heard 1 min. samples from the whole album, and it does sound great. Love the shredding on "Tomorrow's Kings". Going to pick up the Special Edition with the bonus tracks and "making of" studio DVD. Really liked "The Power Within", and it seems they are getting better and heavier! Some great and happy Power METAL!!!!

Tomorrow's King and City of Gold are my favorite tracks so far. The choruses through out the whole CD are the strongest parts of this album, I'd say.
I think its a pretty solid release, not sure if its as catchy as The Power Within.
The only downside is their cover of Ring of Fire, it was sort of boring and not very fitting.