Thoughts on the next Bodom album

If they went back to hatebreeder style, I would be elated.

That is their number 1 album imo

Like every COB album HCDR has a downside too: it lacks a feeling of depth (in all songs except Angels.) Too much lack of depth to be my favourite. It's like rock rock but it's not deep / mysterious like much of Hatebreeder, most of Follow the Reaper, or even some of Blooddrunk...

:lol:

Dude, are you serious? If you are check some Emperor stuff to know about feeling in the music. I just think BD is so boring album and emotionless. It just didn't bring any feeling to me. But anyway I agree on HB and FTR, those have great atmosphere.

:lol:

Dude, are you serious? If you are check some Emperor stuff to know about feeling in the music. I just think BD is so boring album and emotionless. It just didn't bring any feeling to me. But anyway I agree on HB and FTR, those have great atmosphere.

Ok.. Let's say Blooddrunk has its moments, such as the intro and the "Exorcist" part and the chorus in song 1.. melody in song 2.. the drum roll parts in song 3.. intro and breakdown in song 4.. interlude before 2nd solo in song 8.. those have some gloomy atmosphere to them. Otherwise you're right. [/bs]

Honestly, it took me some time to warm up to AYDY, but i like blooddrunk because it was a little more thrashy imo. I've kind of noticed that as the albums went on they became less and less dark. Something Wild sounded evil as fuck all the way through, where as hatebreeder was kinda dark, and follow the reaper just had... idk, a sound all it's own really. It's pretty hard for me to pick out of those first three albums. Even HCDR (the song), is super in your face and heavy as fuck. I think Alexi's many influences have just started to pull him in many different directions in the past few years, and I blame this on the American bands he has toured with/befriended. Shit like this wasn't so common when it was Bodom and old school In Flames on tour, and when the bands around them were Kalmah, and Ensiferum. I think Alexi just heard Lamb Of God and made a very bad judgement to get into that kind of music...

^1+

I agree with most of that post.

Wow it's really refreshing to come back to this forum and hear people speaking honestly. When I used to come here everyone was defending COB's actions saying that their new material was just as good as their old material although i could tell they were very forced statements.

I don't know if Ale's leaving the band had anything to do with the change in musical direction because HCDR was way different than the first three. I mean Bodom using drop tuning, where the fuck did that come from? I'm almost curious as to whether Alexander leaving the band had anything to do with the direction they were going in. Alexi wearing skater clothes and coming onstage with "They're coming to take me away" instead of the great intro to Tokyo Warhearts. I mean things were changing for sure.

I've definitely lost my interest in COB which used to be consuming because of the brilliance displayed on the first three albums. I would love to hear a "Return to the Wild" album because Something Wild is my favorite album of all time. I mean you can only hope, but it is definitely disappointing because i used to feel about Alexi "Wow, here is someone who finally can capture every emotion i've ever had into his guitar playing." and it no longer seems to be the case. I really don't know where Alexi's head is at because to me I would much rather have true fans listening to great music than a bunch of 14 year old kids trying to be hardcore, like the last 3 COB shows i've been to. On the bright side though, I have gotten to see Alexi play guitar live and that is definitely an honor all to itself.

Not the Ale bullshit again please, he didn't write anything besides a couple of licks for Bed Of Razors. Oh, and the "They're coming to take me away" thing was already used when he was on the band.

Wow it's really refreshing to come back to this forum and hear people speaking honestly. When I used to come here everyone was defending COB's actions saying that their new material was just as good as their old material although i could tell they were very forced statements.

I don't know if Ale's leaving the band had anything to do with the change in musical direction because HCDR was way different than the first three. I mean Bodom using drop tuning, where the fuck did that come from? I'm almost curious as to whether Alexander leaving the band had anything to do with the direction they were going in. Alexi wearing skater clothes and coming onstage with "They're coming to take me away" instead of the great intro to Tokyo Warhearts. I mean things were changing for sure.

I've definitely lost my interest in COB which used to be consuming because of the brilliance displayed on the first three albums. I would love to hear a "Return to the Wild" album because Something Wild is my favorite album of all time. I mean you can only hope, but it is definitely disappointing because i used to feel about Alexi "Wow, here is someone who finally can capture every emotion i've ever had into his guitar playing." and it no longer seems to be the case. I really don't know where Alexi's head is at because to me I would much rather have true fans listening to great music than a bunch of 14 year old kids trying to be hardcore, like the last 3 COB shows i've been to. On the bright side though, I have gotten to see Alexi play guitar live and that is definitely an honor all to itself.

Something Wild is in C# I think. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason they tune the low E a full note down is they can play power chords easier? And achieve heavier sound, doing stuff like say the intro in If You Want Peace...

You're right about the crowd. I was 14 back in 2000 with a couple of mates who got into COB, that's ok, but I really don't like it when there's so many of them in the crowd :ill: I think it's best to enjoy or hate the music and stay quiet about it.

Not the Ale bullshit again please, he didn't write anything besides a couple of licks for Bed Of Razors. Oh, and the "They're coming to take me away" thing was already used when he was on the band.

So you decide what we discuss here?

And that Ale thing, it never was about whether Ale composed or not, asshole.

And if you don't want this discussion, DON'T READ!

So you decide what we discuss here?

And that Ale thing, it never was about whether Ale composed or not, asshole.

And if you don't want this discussion, DON'T READ!

Hey Mr. tr00 grim black metal, as well as I don't decide what we discuss neither do you, and as well as you're allowed to write your opinions I'm allowed to write mines. If you don't like them, take your own advice and don't read them. And if you're going to read and answer, answer something that makes sense. Of course you can also insult me and stay tr00 and grim as you like and you're allowed to keep that aggressive childish attitude, because after all internet is serious business.

I hope that the new Bodom album will be a return to their neo classical roots, lately I find em boring, sure Alexi still has his chops but AYDY and BD were like Nu/Groove Metal vibe in it and they tried to sound "American" which is like fuck that shit, we want the old Bodom sound back which is the Tokyo warhearts era sound. Heck even their live sound, sounds like shit too mudded on the mix.

But yeah as for new album, hopefully Anssi Kippo will produce the album with em and whip em back in shape and also tour with em as their FOH, so Chitty's and K-man's days are numbered on the console. Nothing Personal but we need the old Bodom sound back ;)

Atm for COB sounding heavy tops the feeling of depth in their list of most important priorities in songmaking. Not much, but a little bit. Switch them around and it could be aweeesome.

As it stands, Children Of Decadence (FTR song) in its own charm is still a bigger punch in the face than most of Blooddrunk songs despite the lower experience and maturity level Alexi had when writing that.

Atm for COB sounding heavy tops the feeling of depth in their list of most important priorities in songmaking. Not much, but a little bit. Switch them around and it could be aweeesome.

As it stands, Children Of Decadence (FTR song) in its own charm is still a bigger punch in the face than most of Blooddrunk songs despite the lower experience and maturity level Alexi had when writing that.
I think it cause there's a certain spontaneity on the 1st 3 albums which makes the latter 3 albums sound quite sterile. Heck I like Kissing The Shadows because of the spontaneity and frenetic energy in it. And too heavy sounding makes their shred sound fuckin mudded live. Good eg watch Alexi play In your Face with his Signature PU set, gosh he sounded sterile and his playing is like a shadow of the shredder he is.

But yeah as for new album, hopefully Anssi Kippo will produce the album with em and whip em back in shape and also tour with em as their FOH, so Chitty's and K-man's days are numbered on the console. Nothing Personal but we need the old Bodom sound back ;)

Well this was new twist, I don't remember anyone wanting to change sound guys before :lol: