Thoughts?

DracWell

Chemical Pariah
Aug 30, 2001
Uppsala, Sweden
www.threedaysindarkness.tk
We're recording an album this summer and need some gear to record 8 channels.

So far this is what I have thought out:
RME Hammerfall 9653
Fostex VC-8 (to get multiple outputs for monitors and headphones)
M-Audio Octane (8 channel preamp for the microphones)

The RME and Fostex is stuff I've found used and they come very cheap.
Any thoughts on this?

Also, drumpacks. Shure, Samson or Audix? I'm leaning towards Samson's 8-mic kit. And two SM57 for guitars (made snare too, we'll see).

The good thing with the RME is that we can easily go to 16 channels, just have to buy another preamp.

DracWell said:
We're recording an album this summer and need some gear to record 8 channels.

So far this is what I have thought out:
RME Hammerfall 9653
Fostex VC-8 (to get multiple outputs for monitors and headphones)
M-Audio Octane (8 channel preamp for the microphones)

The RME and Fostex is stuff I've found used and they come very cheap.
Any thoughts on this?

Also, drumpacks. Shure, Samson or Audix? I'm leaning towards Samson's 8-mic kit. And two SM57 for guitars (made snare too, we'll see).

The good thing with the RME is that we can easily go to 16 channels, just have to buy another preamp.
hey there, the guys at sweetwater recommend the presonus digimax lt over the m-audio octane. they say the pres are better quaulity in the presonus. i am getting a digimax later this week or early next week whenever it comes. i will let you know how it is. as far as the mics go, ive read a few reviews of the samsons and even the drum magazines like them. i actually use the co1 large diaphram condensers now as overheads for drums with good results. and they arent half bad for some vocals(i usually use them for recording the heavy stuff sometimes(screams and stuff) and on some singers ive heard good results. although i really love the audix d6 on kick drums and bass cabitnets. its a great mic to have for sure. audix has a pack of 3 i5s(snare, toms and guitar cabs-getting great reviews and hearing lots of good things there) and 1 d6 for like $390.00usd. im also getting some i5s this week so i will let you know how they are there as well if you want.

I'd love to read some of those reviews on the Samson 8-Kit. I've been looking for a very cheap drum micing setup for a small project studio that a few friends and I are getting together, and you can't beat the price of the Samsons.

Exsanguis said:
I'd love to read some of those reviews on the Samson 8-Kit. I've been looking for a very cheap drum micing setup for a small project studio that a few friends and I are getting together, and you can't beat the price of the Samsons.
there is a review in the new "drum" magazine on alot of different cheap mic packages. check it out. im sure they have it online somewhere.