Threnody -info thread

Rep

Engel Saint #1
Jul 10, 2009
Porvoo, Finland
www.facebook.com
Thought I'd put together a thread about the upcoming album as it seems like release is close to us.
(NOTE: None of this has been officially confirmed, but it should be truthful);

Releasedate
April 7th

Tracklisting
1. Threnody 3:54
2. Sense the Fire 4:20
3. Until Eternity Ends 3:50
4. To the End 4:01
5. Down 3:49
6. Heartsick 4:33
7. Feed the Weak 4:15
8. For Those Who Will Resist 3:41
9. Every Sin (Leaves a Mark) 3:32
10. Roll the Dice 4:37
11. Elbow and Knives 3:10
12. Perfect Isis 6:00
(13. Fearless) 3:44

Normal version will feature 12 tracks; 13th song seems to be Japan-only bonus. Not sure of it, but I believe it's the demo-song back from 2006.

For Those Who Will Resist has been on live-setlists, but seems like there's no material of it. I personally can't remember what kind of song it was, even though it supposedly was played in Malmö back in November. Was too ecstatic by then I suppose. :D

Also, hear-say from last.fm, this album was supposedly meaning to contain 'Someone Died' from the old days. However, either it has been renamed or then it's not there. :( Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Seems very strange the lack of official info re: this new album considering the date is so close.

And I assume the only 'physical' release of this album will be the Japanese version, as the band will be self-releasing it digitally...right?

Seems very strange the lack of official info re: this new album considering the date is so close.

And I assume the only 'physical' release of this album will be the Japanese version, as the band will be self-releasing it digitally...right?

Agreed; however all the sites I found selling the copy said 7th of April (I think one had 20th?), the members has been known to say April and Engelin's Twitter says this;
Some good stuff is heading our way in April the 7th!! Threnody unleashed!!
4:20 AM Mar 10th via TweetDeck
The 7th of April is the day it all starts!!
2:17 AM Mar 6th via TweetDeck

So I would assume this means the release.. :)

I've not heard of anything about only releasing digitally themselves, but if that's true - shame. I like to have physical copies. I suppose I need to get one from Japan then. :D Where is this info from by the way - I can't remember seeing anything about such.

Steve or others, tell us more!

Cover art has been revealed at numerous [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Threnody-Engel/dp/B0036W3XBW/ref=sr_1_6/176-8577728-3271121?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269919069&sr=1-6"]sites[/ame]. Looks nice. Slated for an April 20 release in Japan.

Japanese site for Engel has been launched.

WARNING: Contains 1 full song and 3 Samples from upcoming album. By the time you hear sample of Threnody, your balls will probably blow off.

Then again, if you're a woman, I'm not sur.. actually, yes, your pantie...

Ahem, so yeah, I just thought I would let you guys know about the new site and samples! :) Can't wait!

EDIT: I guess URL would be good too. :D Engel Japan

Time to import it now :D

Production even from the samples on that site sounds 10x better. Still very strange that there isn't any news on a Euro release.

I just received my copy of the album today. Will post my impressions as soon as I get a free hour or so to spin it.

Well, the album rocks. Production crushes, and the material is quite reminiscent of the demo material we all liked so much. They re-recorded Fearless for the Japanese version, and it is probably my fav. track.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Production on this album was of the upmost importance and is why Tue Madsen was the obvious choice. Of course, the hard guitar laden sound of the previous Demo recordings plus the epic production meant that we wanted to show the real Engel sound and power that usually can be associated with the live performances.

Some of the earlier material has been re recorded and even renamed to bring it in line with the theme and style of the Album and also to give Engel Fans exactly what they want.

Threnody is just the start!

I got my CD a few days ago, and it's a lot better than Absolute Design in my opinion. Threnody doesn't have any 'clunkers' so I can't really choose favorite tracks. I think the two singles are giving everyone the wrong idea of what the album as whole sounds like, though.

Really like your first impression of the album but will tease you all with some info about a song that´s NOT included on the Japan edition of Threnody...sorry but you will get your fill in due time!!
We will make a new video for the song Six Feet Deep and it´s a full on Engelizer song that will give you vibes from the demo day´s ;)

I am so jealous. I cannot afford to import a CD on the kind of money I make, and I want to hear this album so badly.

I am so jealous. I cannot afford to import a CD on the kind of money I make, and I want to hear this album so badly.

Where are you from? I've ran into bunch of online stores around the world that sell the imported copy. So might be helpful for you. :)

As for the album, I've received it myself as well a while ago already, but didn't get around to post my thoughts on it. Here's just few random points regarding to the album:

A friend of mine, who heard Threnody (the song) got flashback's of Metallica's Ride the Lightning. Whereas it might not be intended, saying things like that never can be bad. ;)

I don't know which one is my favorite song. I absolutely love Until Eternity Ends and Heartsick, but Feed the Weak blows my mind off too.

Perfect Isis is the odd one out. It's not bad, at all. I really like it. BUT I've never been big part of high-pitched(??) guitar solos. They work for a short time, and I never got bothered by them on any other Engel songs, but on Perfect Isis it just kinda makes me feel uneasy. Sure, it might fit to the song, but meh... Though I don't think any Engel song has similar solo part to begin with.

If someone who has the album wants to check it out it starts at 4:36 and lasts til 04:58. Just doesn't do it for me.

The reworked Someone Died (Elbows and Knives), is terrific. Only one thing bothers me on it. Might be because I had gotten used to the demo version of the song, but the instrumental part.... (01:45 -->).. the guitar at beginning of that. It looping/not being constant somehow gets to my ear. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. I'm just not sure if it's better that way.

I didn't connect the dots myself on the next one, but I did actually think "this sounds familiar." -- Every Sin (Leaves a Mark). The drumline of the chorus. It's apparently VEEEERY close to Casket Closing's one.

So, it's been a while (again)...any news on the Euro release, new single/video?

In fact, yes! Heard from the band last week was October (or November), and the label they did sign with, Season of Mist, had news piece it would be out in November. However, now it is saying January 2011.

But now with them having the actual contract in their hands, it can't be too much off. :) So I'm quite sure Jan 11 is the latest.