Tiamat - any fans here?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Hello all,

I really love some of Tiamat's work. "Wildhoney" & "A Deeper Kind of Slumber" are classics.

The last album, "Skeleton Skeletron" is also quite good, but seemed to be 'missing something'.

They've released a new cd, "Judas Christ", which has garnered terrible reviews. I was wondering if anyone here has heard it? And if so, what do you think of it?

huge fan of tiamat here. ive also seen them live when they came to turkey. ive got almost all of their releases (except the first album, "sumerian cry", which is probably one of the worst records mankind has ever seen)...wildhoney is a must-have in everyone collection...i havent heard their new stuff yet. i'll buy it right away when it comes here this time around. you heard negative comments about it?

Yes, I heard very negative reviews. The magazine "Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles" (a Canadian mag) reviewed it last month & said something along these lines:

"...Judas Christ has no direction..."
"...the songs are almost like pop-rock songs with guitar solos - sounding like cheesey 80s hair metal..."

Really bad stuff.....I hope this isn't the case!

with all due respects BW&BK sometimes has a few strings loose...if you know what i mean ;) .

i like tiamat, heard the new album....it isn't as good as wildhoney but it isn't bad. but it is more of a gothic rock album...they've been going towards that direction anyhow. heh.

I got Judas Christ when it came out, but just recently started listening to it. And it's pretty ok so far, not at all as good as previous releases like Wildhoney and Deeper Kind of Slumber, but pretty decent anyway. I think it will grow with more listenings.

It's a decent heavy goth album. Basically a continuation of what they were doing on Skeleton Skeletron, with a bit more experimentation. Nothing spectacular, but worth hearing if you're a fan I guess.

Originally posted by kiwifury
It's a decent heavy goth album. Basically a continuation of what they were doing on Skeleton Skeletron, with a bit more experimentation. Nothing spectacular, but worth hearing if you're a fan I guess.
Yeah, that's pretty close to my opinion. But I'd add that the last two songs should have been just left off.

Originally posted by Demonspell
From what I've heard of Judas Christ, it isn't that terrible, except for Vote For Love, which is horrible goth wannabe pop...

"Vote For Love" is a guilty pleasure of mine... :)

I love "Deeper Kind Of Slumber". Can't really get into their early stuff, though.

I am a longtime fan, and Wildhoney and Slumber are my faves...Changed my life some years ago(96/97)....
I liked Skelet(r)on, but this new one.....
It takes time, and it is more 'rocky' than the predecessor, but I still think they can do better than goth/rock(Sisters of Mercy wannabes).....'Love is as good as soma' and the opening track ('The return of the son of nothing') are good though, the rest......I dunno.

I've been a fan for so many years I don't know what to THINK anymore. But I know what I FEEL, and there's a scent of disappointment........