tight shit in the making, need some pointers

Backe

Space Cowboy
Mar 7, 2010
Borlänge, Sweden
Hello all you lovely human beings and other animals that might be using this forum. I'm working on yet another song, yeah, I've got a 10 song album in the making and this is the last song to be written. I've only come so far as 2 minutes and 26 seconds, but it's heavy as fuck. Please check it out and feel free to bash the shit out of me.

*****VERSION 2*****
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/Dreams_BETA3.mp3

*****old******
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/Dreams_BETA2.mp3

Overheads are highpassed at 666hz, if you're wondering about anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheerio

This sounds outstanding. Maybe a TAD too much clipping but WOW. I love it bro. Good job.

drums sound uber smashed.... gtr tone is rather boxy, middy and kind of phasey sounding... it's got the swedish thing going for it; if that was your goal, good work!

the whole thing is rather upper mid-ranger heavy and lacking dimension... 2D if you will. Could be lack of dynamics....

songwriting is tits though, sooooooooooo. fuck it =D

This sounds outstanding. Maybe a TAD too much clipping but WOW. I love it bro. Good job.

yeah, that's what happens when you're trying to reproduce BMTH's Suicide Season with nothing but a master eq and GClip, haha. :) and thanks!

drums sound uber smashed.... gtr tone is rather boxy, middy and kind of phasey sounding... it's got the swedish thing going for it; if that was your goal, good work!

the whole thing is rather upper mid-ranger heavy and lacking dimension... 2D if you will. Could be lack of dynamics....

songwriting is tits though, sooooooooooo. fuck it =D

yeah, I love that super-smashed drum tone on certain songs. and I used Bring Me The Horizons' Suicide Season as reference, which was recorded at Studio Fredman, in SWEDEN. i'm swedish, so fuck yeah, and thanks ;)

and it's the songwriting aspect that is the pinnacle of all my productions i think, since that's what I'm focusing on the most. my band's actually going into the studio sometime this spring, we're doing drums somewhere, and vocals, bass, guitar and all the other shit will be recorded here, in my home studio. and guess where we will be mixing & reamping it? Studio Fredman! hopefully. so I'm trying to mix something similar to get a little perspective.

Great job. Yes, the mastering crushes a bit the whole, but the songwritting is brilliant, reminding me of AT THE GATES on the Thrash parts. Modern, efficient and tasty.
I do like the guitar tone. A very beautiful timber. With a bit more EQ, you should reach something really cool. What did you precisely use to record the guitars ? How many gr tracks ?

Thanx for sharing !

Great job. Yes, the mastering crushes a bit the whole, but the songwritting is brilliant, reminding me of AT THE GATES on the Thrash parts. Modern, efficient and tasty.
I do like the guitar tone. A very beautiful timber. With a bit more EQ, you should reach something really cool. What did you precisely use to record the guitars ? How many gr tracks ?

Thanx for sharing !

at the gates have been a huge influence for me, so i'm glad to hear that! thanks.

i use my LTD EC-500 with fairly old strings and the chain is:
Waves C1 comp-gate -> TSE808 (tubescreamer thingie) -> LE456 -> LeCab 2 running the Fredman Straight & Angled impulses along with a "SNEAP EDGE" something at a rather low blend.

just 2 tracks for rythm, 100% left right, they both go to a group channel and the chain for that is:
Waves REq 6 -> PSP MixSaturator 2 -> Waves C4 -> Waves L2 -> Cubase channel EQ (cut some 800hz and some fizz around 10khz)

I believe there is a total of 10 guitar tracks in the chorus, some ambient guitars and 2 melody guitars, for all those I use pod farm (Screamer -> Treadplate Dual + V30-cab and straight SM57 with 20% room) and alot of eq and printed reverbs.

Also thanx for making me discover LEPOU plugs. I didn't know them before and they seem to make a fuckin good amp simulator !

yeah, lepou is awesomeness in a vst format :)

interesting that you would say that though, just did a remix with some Nick Crow ampsims (7170 which I believe is a model of the EVH 5150, not sure). different kick and master, check it out:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/Dreams_BETA3.mp3

sounds good, please give more info of the master buss chain and also the snare! it sounds perfect!

sounds good, please give more info of the master buss chain and also the snare! it sounds perfect!

masterbus chain i believe is: SSLComp 4:1 0,3 attack Auto Release with about 4-5 db of GR, LinMB multiband, PSP mixsaturator2, PSP MasterQ, Waves L2, Ozone (with clipper, some EQ, harmonic exciter and widening)

snare top: Superior MF something + Slate snare 7 @ 60% blend, Sneap Snare @ 30-40% blend, then some Smack sample I found blended in at around 5-10%, REq6 (lowcut @ 125, slight boost at 200, a cut at ~400 and ~3khz, then boost at 6khz and some highshelving), RComp with ~16 ms attack and low threshold to get it really crushed, then GClip and a Send Reverb (the Roomworks SE, which I also use for the toms)

snare bottom: Superior MF something, REq6 (basic shit) and RComp, shitload of reverb