Time for a new LDC... (Male vocals)

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
Singing and screaming. Voice isn't too dark or bright, gritty.

I was thinking of a u87 clone, I know a few threads have popped up. Something warm. Possibly a at4047. No clue at the moment.

I'm loving my cad e100. Its a bit of a quirky microphone, it's the out of production predecessor to the cad e100s. It is powered by two rechargeable nine volt batteries which sounds like a pain in the ass but it's not. It uses phantom power to charge the batteries so they are constantly being recharged. Anyway I've grabbed two off ebay for a little more than 100 a piece. A hidden gem no doubt!

Neumann TLM102 or a Miktek C7 works perfect. Neumann will handle screaming better. HATE the 4047 so I can't recommend it.

I'm loving my cad e100. Its a bit of a quirky microphone, it's the out of production predecessor to the cad e100s. It is powered by two rechargeable nine volt batteries which sounds like a pain in the ass but it's not. It uses phantom power to charge the batteries so they are constantly being recharged. Anyway I've grabbed two off ebay for a little more than 100 a piece. A hidden gem no doubt!

Hmm what's it sound like? Does it have the cheap condenser sound?

nvm: did some research. you have caught my interest.

Hmm what's it sound like? Does it have the cheap condenser sound?

nvm: did some research. you have caught my interest.

Sorry I probably should have included my limited experience with it. I got both of mine very recently but Its basically as advertised, a really detailed mic with great directionality and a very slight hf rolloff. Other than that it's frequency response is pretty flat. Seems like a great all around microphone but I suspect it to be a good rock/metal vocal mic. I actually did some death metal vocals with it today but I don't even have the heart to open the session right now and a sample wouldn't flatter the mic much anyway. Garbage in, garbage out :banghead:

Get an original U87.
The U87 isn't the perfect mic for every voice, but this mic always work.
Kinda like a distressor on the compressor land, not the magical comp on some source but always work on everything.

i have a BRAUNER PHANTOM. not sure if it suits the voice but imho it records everything just as it is > very natural sounding mic!

I use a CAD E-200 for acoustic guitar and female vox and I do like it.
If you don't have a lot of mics, it's a really good general purpose mic that you can typically pick up for cheap - I think I paid less than $150 used/mint condition years ago.

Def not a spot mic, tho, it's the size of a can of tennis balls!

I got a SE Electronics T2 wich I think works pretty well with male vocals. Haven't recorded screaming with it yet. But spoken word, rap and plain shouting male vocals turn out nice. As long as the voice isn't too bright, it has a really clear and warm sound.