Time Requiem - Optical Illusion

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Time Requiem - Optical Illusion
Candlelight Records - CDL309/1398B - February 22nd, 2006
By Brandon Strader

TimeRequiem-OpticalIllusion.jpg

Wow. Optical Illusion starts out with some very impressive acoustic guitar sweeping, some nice keyboard synth work, subtle choir vocals, an intense build up... oh man, this is some great power-progressive metal! After hearing a barrage of black and death metal from Candlelight Records, this is just a tad unexpected. I guess every label's got to have at least one power group. Metal Blade has Cellador. Case closed! Ah who am I kidding, it's probably just licensed from a different label.

Here's some majestic ear candy that will surely attract some musician listeners. Yes, the stereotype that only musicians listen to progressive metal.... Well, keyboardists could learn a thing or two from this. The keys are simply amazing, a lot of the time employing a square wave played to create a kind of space-rock vibe. Also some nice string ensemble tones from the keyboard with a soft, pleasant sound. Sadly the keyboard elements seem to be a lot more present than the guitars, but when a guitar solo rips it's way out and begins a sweeping, shredding rampage, everyone will stare on in amazement, mouths agape....

Sure, with Time Requiem being part progressive metal, they have to tap into those stereotypical prog arrangements and familiar progressions once in a while. You will hear some parts reminiscent of Dream Theater, in fact songs like "Talisman" sound almost like a Dream Theater tribute song. Optical Illusion as a whole also has some Pagan's Mind type vibes, similar style... I suppose that is a compliment...

The keyboards are constantly showing off. Always playing a fast lead or a fast solo... if only they left open such a space for the guitarist, now that would have been awesome. The moments when the keyboardist and guitarist play the same solo at blazing speeds is nothing less than mind-numbing. If you're a fan of power/prog, you've probably already heard this... but if you haven't, don't eat or sleep until you find a copy of it.

9/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Time Requiem Website
Official Candlelight USA Website

Awesome. I will definitely check this out.

Btw, constant keyboard showoff moments are nothing new with Time Requiem. Richard Andersson is a total freak, and pretty much takes over any project he does. He slays, so I guess it's all good.

Yes, Adagio released a couple awesome records.. Sanctus Ignus and Underworld, but Dominate was very, very dissapointing...