timeless bands/artists

I think ppl are missing the point of the original post. take a look at the effect the Beatles, the stones. the sex pistols etc had on the popular culture of their time. In the 1960s if you asked a 45 year old mother of four who mick jagger or paul mccartney was, she'd know. If you ask a 45 year old ma of four now who maynard keenan or tom yorke or the guy from REM ( i cant even remember his name lol) is and they wouldnt know i bet. They WOULd however know who the Spice girls and westlife etc are. Its a different era, rock music had much more impact on mainstream culture back then.

I always preferred ...sky valley over blues for the red sun

eh, up, lads! :headbang:

(off the topic for sure)

had to come and say great thanks for the poland gigs!! we had great time and the gigs were truly incredible! also thanks to sopel and the other fellas there!

(should i say 'great' and 'thanks' one more time?)

oh yeah and hail to charlotte and kiefer :D

keep on rockin'! :kickass:

speakinstone said:
eh, up, lads! :headbang:

(off the topic for sure)

had to come and say great thanks for the poland gigs!! we had great time and the gigs were truly incredible! also thanks to sopel and the other fellas there!

(should i say 'great' and 'thanks' one more time?)

oh yeah and hail to charlotte and kiefer :D

keep on rockin'! :kickass:
haha! kiefer! yeah! i thought i'd seen the face before, just couldn't remember where :D

Bambi said:
If you ask a 45 year old ma of four now who maynard keenan or tom yorke or the guy from REM ( i cant even remember his name lol) is and they wouldnt know i bet. They WOULd however know who the Spice girls and westlife etc are.
:(

Bambi said:
I think ppl are missing the point of the original post. take a look at the effect the Beatles, the stones. the sex pistols etc had on the popular culture of their time.
aye, the thing was, they could still shock ppl with their attitudes. everyting you see now wanting to rebel is customized and ready for mass-consuming. like nowadays it's cool to be 'off yer tits' and step away from the ordinary, cos everyone does it.. :Smug: theres nothing special abou things if its not original or the lot doing the same thing as you do
like Britney for instance - fuck all she is rebellious and innocent :yell: its all shaped up for us to think she's reallly like she is... the werld hasnt changed a bit wanting to be gods - lokking up to ppl who camouflaged theirselves with and empty mask of somekind of divinity... :tickled:

since there so much of everything, you can actually pick what u want, tho not many ppl will know of its existence. that keeps things intimate and special. most of these artists tend to question things that have changed; basically the whole of the industry has changed 90 or more degrees if u ask me cos most artists that remained actually did their own thing and couldnt give a toss about commerce.

thats the thing. bands tend to lose their quality or adrift from their essence cos they 'made it'. most creative people are born in poor circumstances, and seem to geniunly express their thoughts and feelings about issues like.
(timeless) music has changed much cos of mass-satisfaction and mental passiveness. :dopey:

oh and what reallly gets me off is that constant urge for retro-stuff..
every bozo with a touch for music thinks he can go back to the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and hit one... :erk: when's it gonna stop? we almost reached the point where we gonna repeat what we did yesterday :yell: like there's nothing properly new we can come up with :ill:

what is westlife? a cigarette brand?

todays stars are much more cheaper and rotates even more quickly. there will be no more elvis and beatles nor metallica.

and even these will be gradually forgotten. i dont have a single beatles cd (im not proud of that but dont care either, its just a fact), but im sure that their personal best music were not the cheesy ob-la-di-ob-la-da-like hits, and yet these are the most known ones. im sure they had more message than "she loves you, yeah yeah" and that song about hard days night, etc

btw if i tell you "Leonard Cohen" i dont know whether it rings the bell for a single person eg. at these boards?

bambi is soo right (again...damn!)

even though i could list all my fave bands here (whom you guys already did) we all know they will NEVER be as big as the beatles, stones etc.

so my choice from the pop scene is.........

GEORGE MICHAEL.

check out his "older" album. IT'S A MASTERPIECE. for me thats the only good thing he's done, but it's exceptionally good ffs!

Bambi said:
I think ppl are missing the point of the original post. take a look at the effect the Beatles, the stones. the sex pistols etc had on the popular culture of their time. In the 1960s if you asked a 45 year old mother of four who mick jagger or paul mccartney was, she'd know. If you ask a 45 year old ma of four now who maynard keenan or tom yorke or the guy from REM ( i cant even remember his name lol) is and they wouldnt know i bet.
yeah but everyone knows bono :tickled:

from leonard cohen?

probably "hey, thats no way to say goodbye." my fave album happens to be "songs of leonard cohen" followed closely by "songs of love and hate." i love all of his work but i prefer his earlier stuff to the new...with the guitars and so on. dont think im dissing anything new of his though :)

tell me yours bastet

oh and "love calls you by your name" is quite amazing too.

im glad you heard about him, i should've written "average people on the street".

Beatles - i don't "fuck with them", i just simply dont know them deep enough to understand why theres so much interest in them. The surface is two-sided: some fine songs like Yesterday, Let it be, etc, and some really stupid ones.
However there is no question, they are timeless and will not perish after another 25 years.

I think certain hits will be remembered and not the artists (worldwide). For example everybody knows Moonlight Shadow or Tubular Bells, but not the rest of Mike Oldfield's work.

i only have 2 albums, greatest hits and an older one which i can't find right now:(

all great songs! "hey that's no way..." is one of my favourites but the best one for me is "famous blue raincoat".....aah, got to play it, it's been such a long time...

Don Corleone said:
from leonard cohen?

probably "hey, thats no way to say goodbye." my fave album happens to be "songs of leonard cohen" followed closely by "songs of love and hate." :)
Don is correct to the power of five