Classic Rock's 50 Greatest Live Bands Ever

Fuck no.

The Tool show in Brisbane on the Lateralus tour was one of the most absolutely boring live shows I've ever seen, in terms of the band itself and their performance.

It SOUNDED great, but I would have had a more exciting time listening to a live CD at home reading Maiden Downunder when nobody was posting here for a while. At least I could have entertained myself with reading old Terry threads.

</rant>

Tool aren't very interesting live. THe visuals etc. are amazing but the band themselves just stand motionless and don't even interact with each other. As for this list, I think Bon Jovi should have been there, and from an Australian perspective, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil and The Angels would have been shoo-ins.

... Except for maybe Radiohead, but then again they might put on a top show.

The one time I've seen them (way back on the OK Computer tour), they were amazing. Obviously they don't jump about or have zombies playing air guitar onstage with them, but they put on a hell of a show regardless :)

I hate lists.

There's some logical (ie safe) choices in there, some that seem a bit suprising as well though. A few that i thought no one even remembered anymore. Fugazi for example?

First one that screams out to me as something to object to is Hendrix at #4. Every live Hendrix thing i have forced myself to watch has been absolutely diabolical. Of course "Hendrix" is that magic word that works as a "check me out, I know what i'm talking about" trump card, so it was bound to be on the list somewhere to give it some fake credibility.

I am getting way to cynical in my middle age.

Yeah, I've never seen what the deal is with Hendrix; always figured it was a 'guitarist' thing.

Mind you, it annoys me when people argue that The Beatles were nothing special :)

4. Jimi Hendrix
17. Bruce Springsteen
29. David Bowie
31. Paul McCartney
42. Alice Cooper

as the criteria is greatest bands, these should not count because they are solo artists.

As a fan, who do we pay money to see? the guy on the poster, or the dude who is backing guitar for the guy on the poster?

without googling, Name me one....just one person in these "backing" bands that has a name for doing something other that being in a backing band for a solo artist in the list above and I will retract the statement!

100 kids playing recorder on stage at carols by candlelight is a backing band for god sake!

As a fan, who do we pay money to see? the guy on the poster, or the dude who is backing guitar for the guy on the poster?

without googling, Name me one....just one person in these "backing" bands that has a name for doing something other that being in a backing band for a solo artist in the list above and I will retract the statement!

100 kids playing recorder on stage at carols by candlelight is a backing band for god sake!

I can't see what your argument is here.

Clarence Clemons. :)

Ultimately though, some of those artists would be as boring as fuck without a 'backing' band. Springsteen could get away with it, but Bowie would have major problems. :)

Do most (see: obviously not all) fans pay to see Children of Bodom or Alexi Laiho? Guns n' Roses (current incarnation) or Axl Rose? The Police or Sting? Foo Fighters or Dave Grohl? Nine Inch Nails or Trent Reznor? Megadeth or Dave Mustaine? Black Label Society or Zakk Wylde? Some of these may not be great examples and there will always be people going for the band as a whole or certain other members of the band as per one's musical preference but does the percentage of attention focused on a 'frontman' invalidate the claim of being a 'band' as opposed to a 'solo artist'?

What about turn-over? Take something like Megadeth where Dave Mustaine is the distinct core of the band and other members come and go with relative regularity. Now take your own example of Bruce Springsteen who has had a pretty much consistant line-up in his band since the mid 70's. Which one is more of a 'solo artist' and which one is more of a 'band'?

[edit] fuck, helps when I read other posts first... beaten to it by dreamwatch on Clarence Clemons [/edit]
After all, I don't see Bruce acknowledged as one of the thee most important people in the world :p

More food for thought: Steve Vai. Is he 'solo artist' or 'band'? Not that I think it is in any way a relevant argument to begin with but if the stand-alone credentials of the other members is any measure as indicated what of Virgil Donati, Tony Macalpine, Jeremy Colson, Billy Sheehan et al? Do the accomplishments of 'backing band' members outside of the musical troupe in question somehow validate it as a band?

In response to Zombius, dreamy could have also mentioned Stevie Van Zandt, Mick Ronson, Eric Singer, Derek Sherinian, Al Pitrelli... anyway, it doesn't matter. I'm sure the definition of "band" used for this list meant "a band of musicians together on stage" whether they go under a group name or that of the band leader.