Rolling Stone Readers' Poll: Top 100 Albums Ever

"Van Halen" should definitely be on that list! That album did as much for guitar playing as Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland did imo.

The Trooper said:
"Van Halen" should definitely be on that list! That album did as much for guitar playing as Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland did imo.

exactly man, the cd was revolutionary, way more so than The Vines or Linkin Park etc!!!!

these people have there heads stuck up their asses.

np: Centaur 'Shadow Head'

Haupassia said:
exactly man, the cd was revolutionary, way more so than The Vines or Linkin Park etc!!!!

these people have there heads stuck up their asses.

np: Centaur 'Shadow Head'

When this survey is done again in 5 years' time, The Vines and Linkin Park won't even be on the list. And if we all vote, Van Halen may well be. :D

I think "Nevermind" is an excellent album. :( Don't actually own it, though. The ones I DO own are:

Faith No More: The Real Thing
Metallica: Master of Puppets
Pearl Jam: Vitalogy
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
System of a Down: Toxicity
U2: The Unforgettable Fire
Pearl Jam: Vs.
Guns N Roses: Use Your Illusion I and II (well, one of them - can't remember which offhand - think it's II)
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication
Metallica: Metallica
The Beatles: The Beatles (White album)
AC/DC: Back in Black
Pink Floyd: The Wall
U2: All That You Can’t Leave Behind
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
U2: Achtung Baby
Guns N Roses: Appetite for Destruction
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Pearl Jam: Ten
Jeff Buckley: Grace
silverchair: Diorama

And I've heard plenty more. At least they included a sizeable amount of excellent albums.

I am not suprised at that list at all though. The general public has just enough good taste to let some of the 'classics' in the list, but even more bad taste to let flavour of the month crap like Eminem, The Vines, Linkin Park, ect, in there too.

Also, Rolling Stone is a very 'alternative' style magazine, and was big around the time of the rise of grunge and helped push bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumkpins, Hole, Radiohead, and even FNM, RATM, and Soundgarden, so it is not suprising to see groups like that dominate the list.

I do however find it disgraceful that 'Nevermind' is the top of any greatest albums of all time lists, or that a song from it can top best songs of all time lists. I just think it shows poor taste among the general public and that how a band like Nirvana can be turned into a whole 'corner stone for the music world' type of thing, just because of trends and other circumstances.

Oh well, true genius is in the eye of the beholder, and alot of people must think Nirvana were something special. Meh....

I agree with phloggy. There should have been more Tom Waits, and Nick Cave. But also, Nirvana's "Nevermind" really did cause a complete upheaval in rock music. It's one of the most important and significant albums of all time. Understating it's importance simply because you don't like it is counter-productive. And apart from the silverchair album, most of the Top 10 on that list have featured in various combinations on virtually every similar list that has been published and compiled over the last decade. It's actually a ver good indicator of the listening habits of the core contemporary rock audience of today - male, 18 to 35 years of age. 13 - 17 year olds tend to read Smash Hits rather than Rolling Stone, incidentally. Imagine if the poll had been done by them!

I agree that Nevermind is an important album, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good one. Van Halen for example had a positive effect on the music scene and revolutionised guitar playing etc. Nevermind on the other hand had a negative effect on it if you ask me. It is possibly the biggest reason why today's "rock" scene is so sterile. I find it hard to even call most of today's rock music "rock". Why? Because it doesnt ROCK.

Nevermind is a big part of why today's mainstream music scene is made up of pop/dance & alternative instead of pop/dance & rock in my opinion.

Yeah i was just trying to make a statement about all the trendy crap that if you do that list in 12 months will have been totally forgotten..sorry you all apprently missed the point

[QUOTE='The Trooper']I agree that Nevermind is an important album, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good one. Van Halen for example had a positive effect on the music scene and revolutionised guitar playing etc. Nevermind on the other hand had a negative effect on it if you ask me. It is possibly the biggest reason why today's "rock" scene is so sterile. I find it hard to even call most of today's rock music "rock". Why? Because it doesnt ROCK.[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree. Nevermind is an absolute killer rock album! How could it not be, stealing riffs from the Kinks and the Troggs? That album kicks absolute arse! It's abrasive, loud, riotous and it strips rock back to its basic elements: loud as fuck guitars, big drums and screamed vocals. Today's rock scene is sterile and vapid, but it's not because of Nirvana. It's bands like Nickelback and Creed that have made rock boring, and they're exactly why Nirvana exploded when they did in the first place: because fans got bored with the same old, same old.

Yeah I don't think Nevermind is a sterile boring rock album (although I don't like it either coz I hate Kurt's voice with a passion)... but I think it was the influence that album had on the music scene that was negative.

Although it was Pearl Jam whose sound was definitely closer to the boring crappy lame alternative "rock" music of today. Maybe they are more to blame than Nirvana... coz ur right at least Nirvana were loud and abrasive and they did have the energy there.

Creed and Nickelback, especially Creed, sound EXACTLY like Pearl Jam. Why would anybody in their right mind wanna sound like Eddie Vedder of all people? :puke:

Nirvana rocked back in the day. So did Pearl Jam. I haven't liked Pearl Jam much since Vitalogy though.

Nevermind and Ten are two of the greatest albums ever. Who cares if they contributed to the creation of awful bands? It's not Nirvana or Pearl Jam's fault, it's the fault of the new bands (and the record companies) who aren't talented enough to come up with something new.

Creed kick Nirvanas ass! Nirvana had some good songs, but his droning voice and repetitious lyrics in his songs killed it for me.