Top 100 guitarists ever...

This list is so completely shite that it should be flushed with all the other shit. I agree with Josh: Hendrix is just SO over-rated that it isn't even funny. I can't believe that in the THIRTY THREE YEARS since he died, no one better has come along. That's bullshit. Morello, Cobain, Jack White... these guys can barely play the fucking guitar. If I wrote a three-chord smash hit, I could be on the list next year. What a crock of shit.

Other no-talents who didn't make the list:

Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Trey Azagthoth
Steve Stevens
Brad Gillis
George Lynch
Buck D'harma
Michael Schenker
Uli Jon Roth
Alan Holdsworth
Gary Moore
Alex Lifeson

Hendrix was a pioneer, great improviser and songwriter.

But obviously there are heaps of guitar players nowadays who could smoke him based on skill......but this is why these lists are crap. Even when you have objective guidelines as to what makes someone the "best" guitar player - if you don't like the music they play - no matter how technically brilliant they are - it's hard to go 'yeah - he's the best".

But it's good to start up some conversations and arguments eh? :)

I have lots of problems with this list!!!

Firstly, Kurt Cobain is #12 and Eddie Van Halen is #70?!?!? WHAT THE FUCK!>!?!??! Even if you're talking about influence/creativity over technical ability... WHAT THE FUCK! Wow Kurt was so innovative, nobody had ever played power chords before and sounded shit. But who had ever heard ANYTHING like the stuff on Van Halen's debut album when it came out?

Plus, where are George Lynch, Warren DeMartini, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Angelo, etc?!?

I think whoever wrote that obviously just has a problem with the whole metal/shred/flash style and totally excluded anyone who plays it except EVH who should have been in the top 10 easily.

Oh and I don't really think Jimi Hendrix is that overrated... I think he's great. Nobody had ever played anything the way he did before.

What Hendrix did in the 60s, playing a right-handed guitar upside down, making it do the things he did, etc. He wrote the book on contemporary electric guitar... BUT what he did has been improved on and surpassed by so many others since then, how can he still be considered number one? I don't buy it. If you want to use the argument that he did it before anyone else, fine, but just because you do it first doesn't make you the best.

Goreripper - I agree with what you are saying. I'm certainly not saying Hendrix should be number 1.

If I compiled a list of top guitarists, it would inevitably be guitarists who inspired me to want to play guitar, so I guess how much influence a guitar player has certainly goes into determining such a list IMO, and Hendrix - how many more influential guitar players are there than him?

Strangely enough I don't really get into Hendrix's stuff that much, but I know he did influence more than just one generation of guitar players.

Glad to see that Steve Howe made it though. :headbang: There are plenty of people on that list who deserve to be there, so it's not a completely worthless... just half-worthless. :)

If they did a list of the top 100 drummers ever, who would be at number 1? I should certainly hope Neil Peart would be in at least the top ten.

Number 1 drummer... there's no real way to compare them. I mean, how do you rate jazz greats like Buddy Rich and Steve Smith against metal drummers like Richard Christy and Thomas Haake.....

So to settle the argument, I'll just say I am the best drummer in the world! :p :lol:

Drummers? In no particular order:

Dave Lombardo
Pete Sandoval
Neil Peart
Tico Torres
Rick Allen
Trym
Tommy Lee
Nick Barker
The ACDC guy I cant remeber the name of right now.
Some jazz guy, theres bound to be some great ones, I dont know who though.

Winmar said:
There's one bloke up towards the top which I know someone is bound to mention. Then I'll say "ho hum". :)

I can now say "ho hum" about four or five times over. As soon as I saw the list, I knew a certain deceased American who had blonde hair would cop a bagging in this thread. It was just sooooo predictable! :)

Who are the White Stripes? Never heard of them.

Gene Hoglan is the best drummer!