Tips on Metal Druming

HavokX

New Metal Member
Jan 27, 2009
Arkansas LittleRock
I've been playing the drums for a while now do anyone have any tips on metal drumming because I'm saving up for drums that I can play at home. like speed, tech,and hard ware things like that.

My favorite drumer is Chris Adler

I don't realy like playing at chuch all the time, but that the only time I get to play. I'm sick of playing chuch music I want to play some damn metal!(I'm don't even belivie in god but I'm looking for my own path right now).

Ahh Chris is one of my favourite drummers because he is so fucking original and it isn't all about blasting with Chris.

If you want to learn how to play DM i recommend trying to learn how to blast. It is pretty hard and requires a huge amount of patience but if you can do it right it is seriously rewarding.

Do you have a double bass pedal. If you don't, then i recommend you purchase one :)

I can give you the best and the most useless tip... listen! Listen and god damn LISTEN!!! grab all your metal cds you have, and listen the drummer out. get yourself inspired and play some stuff from chris, he got some easier parts, too. or search for other drummers.
you should learn how to blast, but with to Prio, get yourself a doublebase pedal and try to get a solide speed and power with that, if you dont already have ;)
and, maybee I havent mentioned yet... LISTEN!
that always has been my biggest help on everthing, not kidding!

You should definitely just get a good cheap double pedal, and play along with the songs that you know you'll be able to play first, and soon enough a lot of songs will be a breeze to play.

Actually I would recommend buying and learning to play metal on high quality pedals before anything else. Eventually you will upgrade your kit but you'll still keep the same pedals because that's what you're used to. Pedals are a very personal part of drumming and you don't want to be switching them too often.

DO NOT be tempted to play as fast as you can when starting drumming. Just take it slow so you don't develop any bad habits then move up from there.

don't tune your drum heads too tight.

LISTEN

enjoy the music and if you are in front of people show them you enjoy it. I love wtaching drummers bash their heads around and have smiles on their faces or are singing along to the music.

just have fun!

I started not long ago, and here are some of the better things you should do:

If you are thinking of getting serious, buy pedals that are atleast $300-500 so they last LONG. If the kit you bought was less then say $1000, re-skin the snare, and toms as soon as possible.

Get a drum teacher, look around for one that enjoys metal (or even rock music). It makes everything so much easier when you have someone with the same interests as you.

Also as some of the other guys have said - listen! Put on a song and try replicate what the drummer is doing! Also do not start double kicks or any kind of insane fills, beats etc. Start slow and gradually move on your way up, doing that shit too early will create bad habits (as said by a previous poster)

I found a teacher (finally). He said I was good but I need to learn the basic if I want to play in a band. I want to play Heavy/Death style, but he plays jazz and blues. That the only teacher I could find and it only 10 dollors a lesson!

^not bad for the price. tbh, if i were to get drum lessons, i would start out with the jazz drum teacher for 1-2 years and then i would move on to a metal drummer. it would help you develop a more unique sound and technique

^not bad for the price. tbh, if i were to get drum lessons, i would start out with the jazz drum teacher for 1-2 years and then i would move on to a metal drummer. it would help you develop a more unique sound and technique

because there's a real dearth of metal drummers with backgrounds in jazz...

As was stated above...LISTEN!!! As a kid I used to air drum non stop until I could mimick every lick to what ever I was listening to, then I would apply it on my kit and add my style to it. Simon Phillips has some good vids also which I highly recommend.

Yes, I talked my mom in getting me a set but, I do alot of air drumming for now, and a I got me a teacher but he just teaching me basic and timing. Now it a matter of what drum set I want.

Id Recamend a Metronome first of all this will help alot of timeing and well helping push your self, Check out Derekroddy.com for alot usefull tips also Try George kolias 16week work out,

Work on all the motions and transitions for your double bass certian tempos your technique will need to change thats other reason to practice to metronome, and Pratice your single strokes like there out of style haha this will help with everything to blasting and ur sexy crazy dbl bass yup, work on single footing your blast beats first dont two foot until u can blast single foot anymore at a certian tempo eventualy ull need to two foot for higher tempos.Blasting Traditional that is, Not ur bomb blasts or gravity an such eh thats all two foot neways :)