Tips on playing Opeth

Mr. Niel said:
Grow a moustache, learn to speak Swedish, and buy some long sleeve black shirts and flared pants.

yeah, I wear my kenneth cole flaired jeans whenever I decide to play opeth songs. in fact..I'm wearing them right now. They are really comfortable.

Yep.. lots of crunch.. if you have amp simulation, go a brit stack 4x12..
although they used marshall in sydney!!!!!! (give us the laney)
what else.. oh.. notice that the majority of their structure technique revolves around playing each riff or part for 8 bars

What the hell are falred pants, ones that come out like 70's style at the bottom?? If you have a shit amp, and no form of EQ, you're screwed trying to get decent Opeth-esque distortion out of it. I can barely get playable distortion out of my AVT150 by itself, and I use a weird setting, I set up a strong mid based tone, and then use the scoop button to tighten up the sound, and it sounds pretty good, and much better than if I scoop the sound myself.

aurora_noir said:
Yep.. lots of crunch.. if you have amp simulation, go a brit stack 4x12..
although they used marshall in sydney!!!!!! (give us the laney)
what else.. oh.. notice that the majority of their structure technique revolves around playing each riff or part for 8 bars

They did?

Well, I use a Marshall. It is a great amp. I have no problems with it at all.

It is quite hard to find a Laney around here. I was talking to one of the guys at the guitar store about them and they are apparently not very popular amps anymore, which is why they are nearly impossible to find around here. The only thing I found was a Laney VC30 combo.

Their marshall sound sucked ass... mikes was ok but peter... my god i dont see how anyone could say it sounded decent. just listen to his lead on the intro to godheads lament.