:To build guitar......w/ Caparison HGS specs

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
Hey guys......being that I work at a metal and aluminum machine shop, I've decided that I wanna make myself an Aluminum body guitar (likeness to Abel Axe Guitars)

My thing is that I want it to be able to play in Drop A tuning......and being that Baritone guitar necks and parts are typically a little higher priced, I was wondering if I could do what Caparison did on HGS models?

Just use a standard 25.5 scale neck, and move the bridge and pickups back 3mm.:err:

What do yall think about that??:saint:

if i get you right......no!

thedistance bridge---12th fret has to be the same as the distance 12th-----nut (the octave divides string in half).

ot:
why do all americans look that funny when they're drinking jäger? that stuff is anything but hard... :headbang:

k, but a country that calls their lemonade "beer" can call jäger booze... ;)

sorry, just kiddin'....that just popped into my mind, 'cause i'm about to have a drink tonite with the americans living next door...:puke:

ahh.....so are you saying that Caparison uses a different 25.5" neck on the HGS models than their standard models??

::From Caparison:::
"Caparison also has a line of guitars specially designed to perform better with low tunings called the "HGS" series. The bridge is mounted 3mm farther back on the face of the guitar to help provide higher string tension when using drop tunings such as A, B or C. These guitars also perform very well with drop tunings. However, these HGS models work well with the traditional standard E concert pitch tuning (9-42 gauge strings etc.)"
::

DSS3 said:
The HGS models aren't 25.5" scale - IIRC, it's 27".

Nope....neck is 25.5"....but Bridge and pups are moved 3mm....Here again is from Caparison.....

:::::::::::::::::::::::
Dellinger FX-HGS SE Midnight Blue (with Hard Case)
Specifications

Neck Joint: Bolt on Neck

HEAD
Head Stock: Devil's Tail with Dellinger Logo Inlay
Head Angle: 15 degrees
Machine Heads: Gotoh SG381-07 H.A.P
NECK
Neck Material: Hard Maple
Neck Grip: Caparison
Fingerboard Material: Ebony
Neck Scale: 648mm (25 1/2 inch.)
Nut Width: 42mm
No. of Frets: 24 Frets
Frets: Jumbo
Nut: Graph Tech Trem-Nut
Position Inlay: Luminous Side Dots
BODY
Body Shape: Dellinger
Body Material: Mahogany
Bridge: Schaller 456

ELECTRONICS
PICKUP
Neck Position: Caparison VS-IA
Center Position: Caparison VS-IA
Bridge Position: Caparison PH-R
Controls: Master Volume(CTS) ,5 Way Lever Switch
FINISH
Head Top: Mat Black
Neck Finish: Oil Finish
Body Finish: Midnight Blue (FD Finish)
Hardware Colour: Chrome
OTHER
Strings: Dean Markley Nickel Steel LTHB(.012-.054)
Tuning: Dropped B
Accessories: Hard Case(CAG-1), Adjustable Wrench

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About HGS (Heavy Gauge Strings)
This unique design was produced due to requests from Caparison endorsees.
The design itself employs heavy gauge strings (10-52) for tuning down, popular in the modern metal scene. The bridge position is mounted 3mm further along than regularly seen on other guitars; this is to help when adjusting heavy gauge strings to lower pitches. (On a standard guitar bridge saddles tend to be stretched back around the rear of their full travel to alow for correct intonation.
In addition, the pickup position is changed in relation to the altered bridge position.
The HGS eliminates the need for Drop C and Drop B players to shift baritone guitars in their quest for a properly intonated low tuned guitar. No need to adjust one's playing style to suit a longer neck and differently spaced frets.
The Caparison HGS range has also proven reliable for regular tuning with heavy gauge strings and holds just as perfectly with "dropped" D tuning.

you got that 3mm wrong.

scale=twice the distance nut--12th fret is the mathematical point. in theory that works, in praxis the string has got a certain stiffness, the bigger the diameter, the stiffer...that means string starts not swinging directly at the saddle, but at a little distance to it.
thats why the saddles (on every guitar) for the low e-string are further back than the saddle of the d-string for example.
now that bigass gauge modern strings can be so stiff, that the way standard bridge-saddles can be adjusted might not be enough anymore, so the put the bridge back a few mm.
that does not really make a longer scale, 'cause the string doesn't start its swinging directly at the bridge, due to its stiffness.

my english is not the best, so in case i didn't make it clear here's i highly professional drawing i just did, using most up to date CAD-software :)

scale.JPG

I think you got something wrong... LSD got it right!
The bridge is just moved 3mm to easier inotate with heavier gauge strings!
The heavier the strings the more you have to move the "sadles pf the bridge" (how do call it??) away from the neck!
My Edge Bridge on my ibanez for example has got two holes for the same propose.. since I'm using 54 strings I have to use the outer holes!

ApolloSpeed said:
hmmmm......well then Caparison for some reason, thinks that it can have a standard 25.5" scale neck and move the bridge/pups 3mm back and perform like a baritone.

no, you got that wrong...read my post again.

caparison is just saying "takes heavygauge strings (baritone strings/strings for downtuning) better without intonation problems"

edit:
marcel was faster....;)

ApolloSpeed said:
hmmmm......well then Caparison for some reason, thinks that it can have a standard 25.5" scale neck and move the bridge/pups 3mm back and perform like a baritone.
It think it's more what the marketing department made out of "bridge optimized for heavy string gauge" which let it sound like it performs like baritone - if you know what i mean...

You do realize that 3mm is a very small distance and isn't going to change your scale length. It's like everyone's saying, it just gives you more room for bridge adjustments with heavy strings.

Depending on the bridge, you can do those compensations without risking bad routing...do you want a floating bridge or a stop tail/tuneomatic/fixed?

And why do all the people in other countries say that liqour isn't harsh/hard and that Americans are pussies?

To Apollo - Dude save yourself some serious pain in your preverbial ass, and just buy another guitar, :lol: Building a guitar (especially first time ever) is everything but an easy task.

~e.a

elephant-audio said:
And why do all the people in other countries say that liqour isn't harsh/hard and that Americans are pussies?
have you ever had a drink with a non-american outside the us? if so you would know ;)

what does american beer have in common with sex in a canoe?.....

both is fucking close to water!! :puke: :heh:

:lol:

Not outside of the US, but I have a friend that's from Yugoslavia (sp? lol) that hangs out sometimes and he's not all anti-American beer. I've had Heineken (which, I know is not tr00 German beer) but still...it's disgusting. I know this will surely pin me down and give LSD a win, but - I actually drink Bud Light when I am in a beer mood. However, I drink it very fast, and I don't care who you are, or how much tolerance you have, you chug down about 4-5 Bud Lights and you're done for the night. Even my dad's friend that has been around the world in the Navy about 8 times and he's a real drinker and was done for the night when I told him about that. He's got lots of stories about different drinks in all the various countries that are "better than any US-made horse piss". He didn't believe me about chugging them down.

All that said, I'm truly a Jack Daniel's man, drink of choice and I can down about half a bottle before I want to say I'm done. There ain't nothin wrong with a little JD.

~e.a

nothing against a good whisky!!
meaning single malt scotch etc.

most here use JD, JW, JB and stuff like that to thin their cola....

but machinated is right, brits are a whole other story again...

i've once had a production in thailand, you don't want me to talk about their beer ;)

but sorry for highjacking the thread, it's jsut that i just had a drink with the americans living next door, so we were into that discussion anyway ;)

prost/cheerz

lsd

Sweetnothing said:
Depending on the bridge, you can do those compensations without risking bad routing...do you want a floating bridge or a stop tail/tuneomatic/fixed?

definately a fixed bridge of some sort. Tuneomatics I'm pretty used to, and work pretty good too I think.:err: