To buy or not to buy?? 2 ch Dual Recto.

IronApe

Dec 14, 2005
Pavia - Italy
Hey guys,
so I did all the homework, searched, studied and googled, and now I'm doubtful. I need your help. I found an older 2 channel Dual Rectifier for about 1000€, and I'm quite interested in it. Fact is, serial n° is 12449, so it should be a late 90's Rev G.
I'd use it mainly for studio purposes, and it would go on a shelf beside an Engl Savage Special Edition, a 5150 II, a Krank Rev JR, a Tiny Terror and a Dark Terror.
You guys think I should go for it? I've read all the facts about pre 500, pre 1000, and rev D to F's and such, but let's get down to the real crap: is it worth it or not? Discuss...

The older 2 channels slay the 3 channel Rectos (I haven't played the 2010 m ulti-watt models though, they're supposed to be better). The 3 channel has a "bigger" sound for hard rock stuff, but it's also way more loose and muddy. The 2 channel is tighter and clearer. Some still prefer the 3 channels (Why? I have no idea. I guess the 3 channel is more versatile, but that's about all its got going for it IMO), but after owning several over the years (4 2 channel Dual Rectos and a Racktifier, and 2 3 channel Dual Rectos and a 3 channel Triple Recto), , I will never buy a 3 channel again. The last 3 channel Triple I had was the worst sounding amp I've ever owned, and while the last 3 channel Dual I had didn't sound nearly as bad, especially once I put KT77s in it, it just lacked so much clarity that every single other 2 channel I had owned before possessed.

Read this. Turning your Recto into a Pre500

1000 euro for an older 2 channel is cheap over here in Europe.
With the reversable mod you could get the pre500 tone.

I havent heard the mod on a recto, but a have a Pre500. It's a matter of taste at the end.

Interesting. Doesn't take into the consideration that I'm pretty sure the Pre-500s had different transformers, but still might be a worthwhile mod, since it's pretty inexpensive!

I wouldnt get hung up on different series of Rectos. Just like Kaomao experienced, I was jamming for a while with a buddy who had an early 90s 2 channel with a fresh retube and I still preferred my 2003 3 channel to his by quite a bit. Its like when Andy was talking about how not all of the old block letter 5150's are better than the newer 6505's, certain heads just sound better than others of the same make, same as guitars. If I were you i would play the head for as long as possible and make your decision.

... I'd love to try the amp, the only problem is that it's in a shop 400 km away from my place... and I work on weekends, too... damnit!

i'd say just buy the bitch...and if for some reason you don't like it, well hell, it's a recto - you'll have no problem re-selling it later. chances are you can probably talk lasse into buying it if you don't want to keep it, lol.