To buy or not to buy???

Brutality001

Jun 24, 2011
Hey,

Ive got a guy in my local area trying to sell me a Shure Unidyne III 544 mic.
I was originally after an sm57 and probably still will be if i did buy it but this is a sm57 precursor, Made in the 70's in the US.
Im just wondering will this be suitable for micing cabs for now? Also i think it may be a high impedance mic.
The guy only wants £30 (about $50-$60) for it and says its a good bargain, He also says hes had it for about 20 years and hasnt really used it :ill:.
Whether its a good bargain because its a US 70's made discontinued mic or because its a good quality mic i dont know.

So to buy or not to buy???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BTW im insanely poor and dont really want to throw £30 away.

Thanks

Considering the great reputation the sm57 has, I would rather go for the sm57. Even know I know nothing of the 544.

SM57s will always be available - the unidyne won't pop up on the second hand market very often though.

Yea for $10 or $20 more you can get a 57. Id pass.

Have you even tried this mic?

I've used it loads of times at the studio I work at. It actually belongs to the main man Guy (Greyskull on here). I choose it over a normal 57 most of the time. Especially on snare and guitars... it's slightly less bloated around 200-300hz and has a hair more top end. Sometimes I'll use a transformerless 57 if the source is really bright but I rarely use a normal 57 now.

Anyway - I'd definitely go for it.