Votes: 23 32.9%
  • No, solos are completely overrated and overdone

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Sometimes.. when done right

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Mine is not an opinion, it's just a fact that there are many different choices, it can be done good it can be done bad, but anyway, you can't generalize each metal styles, thus you will like one more than another, you'll think it's shit, you'll think they're good... but we don't fucking care if you say they do it well since we know that you love that band, so you'll tell a lot of good about them anyway.... HUH and so on...

WTF is this?

My point is obviously that kerry king cannot solo worth crap

Bullshit. I love his solos. They're the crasiest arrays of whammy-whipped leads I've ever heard from -any- guitarist....and they fit Slayer's music _perfectly_.

I've heard guys try to replicate his style, but most people can't do it. It takes finesse to pull it off - so, if that's "wanking", count me in.

So what if the guy can't shred? That's what they have Hanneman for.

Most stuff I listen has solos......partly why I'm attracted to those bands.

I'm not a big fan of Kerry's solos, but they fit well with Slayer's music.

solos work really well in extreme metal sometimes when the vocals don't outline a melody on top of an interesting progression.

often i'll write some riffs over a chord basis that are crying out for a melody line that just wouldn't work with vocals. as a majority of DesolatioN vocals are growls and screams and whispers anyway I incorporate all the melodic ideas that i have into a solo or a lead section.

I think the song should dictate whether or not a solo is needed. Dream Theater is a band that should follow that rule. I love John, but not every song needs a solo.

...or maybe I'm just jealous :lol:

ok, what do you all prefer? A scorching 32nd note scaling lead, or a hook type solo that outlines the melody of the song?

Note that this is all my personal opinion.

Both the lightning fast ones and the slow catchy ones have their place. The best way is to mix. To use only fast shred-type solos gets annoying real fast, unless you can hook them up to the song in a good way. Listen to Children of Bodom for examples of well integrated shredding. What's most important to me, is that the solo is well executed, regardless of speed.

In my first band we had two guitarists. I was always playing the slow leads because the other guy always wanted to shred. :lol
Any lead should be there to complement the song, not exist for its very own sake.

One of my favourite guitar players is Kerry King, and that's because of his leads. He can't shred the way Hanneman does (or he chooses not to do it) - instead he goes absolutely nuts on the whammy. A technique as good as any for creating a blazing solo.

Imagine Iron Maiden with no leads! Impossible. Sometimes, guitarists like to go overboard and try to put too much into a song. I recently saw Yngvie Malmsteen and was bored to tears with his use of far too many notes. Then a year later, I saw Ark, the same bunch of musicians, with a different guitar player. One that knows how to both shred and jam and play a slower melodic solo all with feeling. That is the key. Can You get into the solo? Can you feel it as an extension of the song or is it kind of a formula that is plugged in because someone thinks it should be there? The early grunge bands did fine with out solos and you can feel their songs. Personally, I can't stand nu-metal. I love the music ability of a lot of Death and Black Metal, but the vocals have got to go. I would rather hear all instrumentals by some of them that have the talented musicians.

I think personally it not a rule to play a solo. You dont feel you must, it just cames up. you feel there must be a solo or you rather "listen" to it.
Maybe when you start playing solos you don´t make them interesting, but as times goes by you can incorporate more tricks, and even create you owns licks. It´s nice to listen to a solo. And solos are the most "moody" in music. A solo moves with much more freedom, you can either go slowler or faster than the rest of the band or even both. It´s like singing, or screaming, or wining, you name it. That´s what I love about solos.
Don´t like show-up solos, unless the "say" something. And it´s the music that goes in front, we, players only "intermediate" between the feeling of the music and the music "came true".