To those of you with massive CD collections

Lunar Still

Doodle drawrer
Jan 14, 2006
Louisville
russelljackson.bigcartel.com
Just a few questions, as my collection is growing quite large (about 220; I know its not THAT big, but...eh). I'm just interested in how other people manage their stuff.

1. Do you use CD wallets to store your CDs? If so, do you find that one giant wallet or many smaller ones are easier to manage?

2. If you keep all of your CDs in their cases, what do you do about storing burned CDs?

3. Do you use a computer, data CDs, or portable hard drive to back up your collection?

4. Do you "keep inventory" i.e. keep a list of some kind, perhaps on cd-tracker.com or some other website?

5. Do you trade, or exchange burned CDs with people, whether it be locals or people over long distances?

6. What do you do about storing the cases: CD towers, boxes, etc.?

AND FINALLY:
7. If you know, how big is your collection?

Lunar Still said:
Just a few questions, as my collection is growing quite large (about 220; I know its not THAT big, but...eh). I'm just interested in how other people manage their stuff.

1. Do you use CD wallets to store your CDs? If so, do you find that one giant wallet or many smaller ones are easier to manage?

I use one big CD wallet. works well

2. If you keep all of your CDs in their cases, what do you do about storing burned CDs?

I buy slimcases in bulk

3. Do you use a computer, data CDs, or portable hard drive to back up your collection?

Nope. If I want a copy on my computer that badly, I'd download it.

4. Do you "keep inventory" i.e. keep a list of some kind, perhaps on cd-tracker.com or some other website?

Nope. If I lose a CD and don't realize it, I guess I didn't like it too much to care.

5. Do you trade, or exchange burned CDs with people, whether it be locals or people over long distances?

No

I have a CD tower filled with cases, but most cases eventually get lost... feels like Christmas when I find them with their booklets.

AND FINALLY:

Upwards of 100, 120... maybe more.

^^^

Towers.

Usually, a visor wallet in my car.

Portable, mp3 player, and computer.

No reason to.

No, I keep what I buy.

Towers, like I said. :p

AND FINALLY:

I used to have 300+ before I stripped the collection to just metal, so storage was fun using drawers and other various places. I have 4 towers for current storage though, and while I "only" own about 120 CDs anymore, the collection grows about 10 cds a month.

Lunar Still said:

FUCK NO. I hate those things. I'm always afraid of damaging crap in the process of pulling them in and out of those sleeves. All you need is just one little grain of sand or something in there and BOOM. Your CD has the potential to get fucked every time you take it out.

they usually float around, not in cases, unless they're important backups of computer data and stuff.

I back up the rare stuff and stuff I'm listening to frequently, but my hard drive isn't big enough for everything.

yeah, it's always handy to know what you have and what you don't have.

All the time.

large wooden racks from IKEA, although I'm running out of space AGAIN.

AND FINALLY:

www.cd-tracker.com/~majestik

Owned: 654 (CDs, LPs, Cassettes inclusive)
Wanted: 26 (kind of useless list)
For Sale/Trade: 35
Pre-ordered: 11

basically everything posted up above. I have a huge bookshelf style storage unit, holds 1700 CDs or a cominbination of CD/DVD.

I don't keep inventory, hell mine aren't even in any sort of order.

My collection at last count was 700ish, somewhere around there.

How do you kids afford that size of a collection?

Also, do you just buy every random new cd that comes out?

no

save the CD-R spindels and keep them on there

yup, every CD I own is backed up.

microsoft word list

no, burned CD's are cheap, just give them away

built a giant wooden shelf for them

AND FINALLY:

upwards of 850 as of this march when i last counted.

NoLordy said:
How do you kids afford that size of a collection?

Also, do you just buy every random new cd that comes out?

Well, I've been collecting since 89 or so for one and I used to frequent the record shows. I could buy 20 CDs for under 50 bucks etc.

Also, I don't really drink, do drugs or otherwise waste my money except on music.

Im actually frightened at what my CD collection will look like by the time Im my fathers age. I'll probably have 1000 by the time Im 19 at the rate im going, so I think Im going to need to build a shed just for CD's whenever I buy a house.

1. Do you use CD wallets to store your CDs? If so, do you find that one giant wallet or many smaller ones are easier to manage? I have a big 220-something CD case which I hold most of my CDs, the rest fill up about 2 other smaller CD cases that that hold up to about 20 each.

2. If you keep all of your CDs in their cases, what do you do about storing burned CDs? My CD case is a mixture of burned/bought

3. Do you use a computer, data CDs, or portable hard drive to back up your collection? LOOOOL No. :(

4. Do you "keep inventory" i.e. keep a list of some kind, perhaps on cd-tracker.com or some other website? No, as Will stated, if I lose it and don't realize, it's not very important.

5. Do you trade, or exchange burned CDs with people, whether it be locals or people over long distances? I keep my CDs. Although, I once gave a Linkin Park CD to an ex...

6. What do you do about storing the cases: CD towers, boxes, etc.? I'm lucky if I still have my CD cases, I can see only about 16 I have on the stand next to my computer. :(

AND FINALLY:
7. If you know, how big is your collection? Close to 300, maybe JUST a bit over.

i own (between burns and bought cds) around 4,500 cds. they're alphebetized in mini jewel cases and displayed around my apartment.

what i recommend is getting a portable hard drive, or in my case 3 120gbs, and archiving them on there, then get an mp3 adapter to stream music from your pc to a surround sound system. the adapter cable is only 14 bucks, and youll never have to burn cds again :)

1. Do you use CD wallets to store your CDs? If so, do you find that one giant wallet or many smaller ones are easier to manage? I use a fifty count wallet for my burned cd's

2. If you keep all of your CDs in their cases, what do you do about storing burned CDs? CD wallet

3. Do you use a computer, data CDs, or portable hard drive to back up your collection? No

4. Do you "keep inventory" i.e. keep a list of some kind, perhaps on cd-tracker.com or some other website? No list. I keep mine alpabetized

5. Do you trade, or exchange burned CDs with people, whether it be locals or people over long distances? Not Really

6. What do you do about storing the cases: CD towers, boxes, etc.? I store all of my CD's in a shelf cd holder that holds 800

AND FINALLY:
7. If you know, how big is your collection? I have close to 800 cd's, not including burned.

Lunar Still said:

AND FINALLY:

I don't want to be an ass, but 220 CDs is about 5% of my collection (and you can do the math)

SO for your questions:

1) My CDS are stored in cabinets custom made, I never use CD wallets, I hate them... I have this little wallet that sits on your passenger side mirror and thats where I keep my CDS in my car so I can change the changer easily.

2) I seriously barely have any burnt CDS..... I hate them.. the only ones I have are stuff that friends send me to check out a band, and normally they send them without the plastic case... so all my burnt CDS are in one pile
under my computer desk and I don't pay too much attention to them

3) + 4) No, but I do have a CD list because with the amount of CDs I have- you just have to orgenize it SOMEHOW and so I keep a well orgenized list.
why would I need to back up my CDs? they are all in their cases........
(and insured btw! :D:D:D)

5) yes all the time. people always want me to send them stuff because they can discover new stuff from my list.

6) I already answered that on no.1 :)

7) 4300 CDs ALL ORIGINAL.

Fuck that. I just throw my shit around, and when it gets too scratched up to listen to, out comes the magical Skip Doctor. :heh:

I ain't never seen nobody wit 4300 cd's. That's incredible.

I've got three cabinets sorta like these, they're awesome. But i only have around 3,000 cd's (unless you count the 1000 cardboard advance cds i have in a box)

69754317x.jpg

I find wallats to scratch the cd's

Burned Cd's look takky

I put all my Cd's on the pc and the best ones on my mp3 player

No

No

I put them in the front cover of my rack case

AND FINALLY:

not quite 220 but alot of my cds are away in the attic as they are crap :saint:

1. I keep a 20 disc wallet for my car, but keep them in their cases for home.

2. I don't burn CD's. If I want the music, I buy it.

3. backed up on the computer for iPod

4. I don't have a list but I keep them in alpha order so it's easy to see if one is missing.

5. N/A

6. I keep all my discs in their cases. in two turnable towers.

7. 225 I think

1. Do you use CD wallets to store your CDs? If so, do you find that one giant wallet or many smaller ones are easier to manage? I don't use wallets anymore as I had a huge chunk of my collection stolen that way once, and if sand gets in it for some reason (like a relative shaking out a sandy blanket by it) your fucked. Although I do keep a 12 count hard case for use in my car only (and only burnt CDs go in it).

2. If you keep all of your CDs in their cases, what do you do about storing burned CDs? I built my own shelves and I have them all alphabetized by artist, then chronological by album.

3. Do you use a computer, data CDs, or portable hard drive to back up your collection? I use my 250GB hard drive and a collection of DVD's kept in hard cases set up high.

4. Do you "keep inventory" i.e. keep a list of some kind, perhaps on cd-tracker.com or some other website? I used to, but it's too monotonous to keep up a list or even bother doing it online.

5. Do you trade, or exchange burned CDs with people, whether it be locals or people over long distances? I have done that once over a long distance, but usually it's just between friends and they're only compilations to get each other interested in new bands.

6. What do you do about storing the cases: CD towers, boxes, etc.? As I stated before, I built my own shelving unit for it. I can build you one too! For the price of lumber plus my working carpenter's wage of $19/hr =)

AND FINALLY:
7. If you know, how big is your collection? Currently I THINK it's around 1,700 ... but I've never EVER gotten rid of an album. Even CDs I haven't listened to since I was 10 are still lingering around (literally... and I'm 22 now.) ... in fact, I still have REM - Automatic For The People around somewhere, but I'm sure it's covered in dust and moths by now.