What % of your CDs would you be happy with in MP3 format only?

pick

• Total voters

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I have about 600 CDs.

I can't help but feel, however, that 50% of my collection could probably exist in MP3 format only, and the remaining half consist only of "must have" albums -- whether they be 10/10 buy or die, classic, rare, hold some sentimental value, etc.

What say you? How much fluff have you got in your CD navel?

I sell or trade the cd's I no longer want.

Yeah, I've only ever done this once if you can believe it. I have so much bunk to remove.

* bunk = albums I'd consider 7/10 or less, collecting dust, and taking up space

I hate buying new CDs when I know I've got to trim the old fat

Yeah, I hear ya JK. At one point, I had so much bunk it was crazy. I then sold a ridiculous amount on Ebay and made tons of cash.

Right now, I have about 60 cd's on my trade/sell list to get rid of. Any albums that are 8/10 and above or are just sentimental for some reason or the other, stay with me.

I sometimes download the albums that I have gotten rid of before.

I prefer all of my music that I listen to to be in hard copy form in at least some manner owned by me, though I mostly listen to mp3s of my own music.

Seriously, I don't have any means of listening to an mp3 so there's no point. I might get me an mp3 player for Xmas though. I dunno. Would be nice when riding the bike.

I just dont agree with NOT buying an album that I really enjoy. ESPECIALLY underground stuff. It's common decency.

If you download everything you own, you're a fucking turd. I dont care if you dont have the money, you're still a fucking turd.

I buy everything I listen too, but I think JayKeeley is referring to buying it as an mp3. Not the illegal crap. I've actually never bought an mp3, because I buy everything as CD. However, I could do without the CD's now that I don't use them.

At this point I've ripped most of my hundreds of CD's, and will probably sell a lot of them somewhere along the line as they just don't excite me anymore and I hardly listen to them.

Usually the only CD's I download are promo shit and really really rare shit that I have trouble buying. In the case of promo shit I buy the CD when it comes out if I liked it, and with the rare shit, I try to buy it whenever I find it, usually being when I'm in SF on one of my many Amoeba runs.

0-25% because I only buy albums that I like at least 80% of the songs on them, and only as I can afford them. Can't wait till I have a real job, I can finally make my "to buy list" shrink instead of grow.

0-25% but i have almost all the cd's in mp3 to load it on my player its just easyer than to bring cd's every where i go