What percentage of your music has been downloaded?

(To be fair, anything you once owned on MP3 but have since bought no longer counts in your MP3 tally. Neither do MP3s you've ripped from CDs you already own).

At first I was going to say "ha, back then, 'mp3s that you bought as mp3s' wasn't even considered as an option! How quaint! How 2004!"

But then I remembered that around here, that's apparently still not considered option in 2008. :loco:

Neil

Hmm, I'd say it's 50/50 at this point, but I legitimately *buy* digital albums. Many of those I also have on CD and/or vinyl, meaning I bought those particular albums twice (or thrice!).

probably 0.05%, I think I persuaded myself to buy digital releases four or five times, whenever there was no physical release available and I truly wished to support the band. That was the case for some of the Saåad stuff, but I don't think I ever actually downloaded the purchased mp3s, these particular albums I keep listening on bandcamp. I think that the main safeguard that prevents me from "owning" digital music is that I haven't organized a system to listen to quality files (Flac or something) through my stereo. That could be Pandora's box so I won't let it happen.

0% that isn't backed up by a purchased physical copy. WITH TWO HEINOUS EXCEPTIONS:

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation (still too expensive)
Metallica - Load (I'm not paying for that shit)

Also I'm pretty sure I paid $99 for a Swans CD about 10 years ago. Then I bought the vinyl.

(Note: this is not counting all the mp3 downloads and CD-R trading from Royal Carnage days of yore, which if I listened to any of those more than once or twice, I bought a copy. Haven't collected either nefariously glorious thing for many a moon, but they still exist in an ignored box in a forgotten corner somewhere and also on a dead computer covered in motor oil out in the garage [don't ask]. So I guess technically if you added those it's about 5%.)

I download a lot if I can't hear it otherwise as to "try before I buy." I buy WAY too much as it is to blind-buy everything based on a kickass album cover as in the days of yore. There's an insane amount of shit to filter through these days with the advent of the internets and any hack able to put out his recycled, tin-can garbage on any random platform.

If I dig it, I rig it.

My collection is made up entirely of CDs, Tapes and Vinyl that was bought and paid for by me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

This is still true. Everything that I like I buy on a physical format (often on more than one format such as CD and vinyl).

The only downloads I have are some up and coming bands that haven't released anything on physical format yet and a few extremely rare and hard to find albums. In both cases, I will gladly scoop up the physical copy when it appears. Until that time, I don't consider those a part of my collection (downloads do not qualify).