The future of music/media . . . are CDs/DVDs dying?

another completely elitist statement ...

ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE PURE MUSICAL LISTENING EXPERINCE ... IS JUST MARKETING

:loco: :Spin: :wave: :D :headbang:

Whoa, is that a Trabant in your avatar?

When it all comes down to it, yes it is All About The Music, but the extras are what make it special.

But the extras mean nothing to the music. To be amused and attracted by such extras implies one has the maturity of a small child. This isnt cereal, music doesnt have to come with a special prize.

You're being far too clinical, and besides the fact that music can be a very visual experience as well. I frequently see colors and textures when listening to music, artwork and such can portray these physical properties.

Short and skinny:
Extras = fun. Music = fun.

Whoa, is that a Trabant in your avatar?
yeah ...

I just thought to put it there as a metaphor to my above statement ... as it is one of the purest cars I have ever driven.
4 wheels in a steel shell, column shifter, gas is checked by a dipstick, about 50 horses (maybe) ... and pure motoring.

You see colors in the artwork? I can see if a music video is created for the music in a Neurosis inspired way- that is art. But regular music videos, artwork, liner notes etc, are all pointless unless one has the disease to be some ubercollector.

Yeah I am quite sarcastic today. sorry about that, but fuck, I am saying whats on my mind.

I agree that one of the reasons why I think it will take longer than expected for CDs to be supplanted by digital media is because it threatens to compromise the individuality of a recording, with unqiue artwork and packaging and all those aesthetic extras...otherwise I believe we would have seen more musicians release material solely through mp3 by now. I also disagree with the idea that digital media is a pure music experience, for me hearing a mp3 without knowing anything about the artist is like getting burned on an impulse buy, only time instead of money is wasted. And as J. already alluded, a shift from an album-oriented medium to a song-based one could very well make things more commercialized...

No

You can combine two art forms, i.e. visual & audial art. If the record sleeve/presentation is done correctly, it adds to the musical experience.
erik, you obviously missed the sarcasm in my post, weren't all the smileys at the end enough? :loco:

hey, if Drukdh can make some horseshit statement on their t-shirts so can I