What percentage of your music has been downloaded?

just one point: Century Media, Metal Blade, Relapse, etc are not major labels. There's some middle area between major and indie (minor labels, maybe?). I mean, Iced Earth and Nevermore are two of the bigger bands on Century Media, and neither one has broken 100,000 sales of a record in the US. That's not a big label.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go download some mp3s of a band my friend told me to check out.

Erik dude, learn how to argue man. The best you can do is lob pathetic insults. And dude, learn how to think in other than black and white. Things arent so simple as wrong and right. It doesnt matter if i and many others will download, It doesnt much matter if you buy a record or download. What matters is how the music industry will respond.

I will agree with Erik.

I co-operate Ancient Wind Records and have released the "Rising Fog" promo by Wind Through the Trees. There was someone I know who said he wanted a copy, and when I went to tell him that they were released he said "Nah, I have the mp3s. They're good! Thanks though." I'm not into this for the money, not at all.. its just that without that sale, I've lost 7 dollars and technically someone has the 16th copy of the demo, while there is only 15 copies. Sure, its only seven bucks, big deal, but thats seven bucks I can use to make more releases, buy packing supplies, or order more stock. Its not cool.

See my point, anyone?

Doomcifer said:
Well, I do not agree with people who JUST download and never buy. It doesn't make much sense to me but that is their perogative.

Downloading stuff that is impossible to buy (live tracks etc) or things you plan on buying isn't really a problem- so I agree with you also.

Erik said:
"DUDE," fuck this "music industry" you are bleating on about. Unless you are only downloading shit from major labels, SHUT THE FLYING FUCK UP about the so-called "music industry." It is utterly and completely irrelevant in metal. Metal does not have anything to do with that shit, aside from a handful of quite commercial bands. YOUR ACTIONS ARE DIRECTLY KILLING UNDERGROUND LABELS, and you give me shit about the copyright law being broken.

FUCK. OFF. SCUMBAG.
We may be RC family, but you really have no clue.

Your music requires $$ to survive, thus making it industry. Get over your idealistic music for the sake of art fuck money gripe. You wanna make money on your art or work a suckass job for the rest of your life?

The labels are responsible for their own demise or survival. Same with record stores, they all must get with the times or watch it all fall.

Otherwise, I suggest staying put in your bedrooms and garages and never worry about the outside world hearing even a peep from you.

The labels and bands like Metallica are the ones who caused people like yourself to despise downloading. Had they reacted in a more intelligent manner and figured out a way for this to benefit them, things might be different. For all of your bitching and moaning about downloading and sharing, half of these fucking labels that are 500 feet underground would never even be heard of if not for the traders out there. This is the same shit that happened with tape trading back in the day....

What is also the same as downloading is the second hand market. I mean I could get a CD brand new from the store, make a copy for myself then sell it on eBay as used , maybe the person buying it from me will sell it down the line also ... so really the second hand market hurts the artist also.

the only thing that downloading does is speed up the process of distribution.

as long as the person or website offering the download is not charging, technically there is no law that can stop it.

I mean back in the days, we used to make tapes, and copying and distribution IF NOT MAKING A PROFIT is technically legal ... or is it not?

Erik said:
speed:
DOES A BROKEN, OBSOLETE LAW MEAN THAT IT'S OK TO BREAK IT?

ANSWER ME MOTHERFUCKER
i say, "yes" as i take this bong-rip, and everyone else says it everytime they speed, jaywalk, spit on the sidewalk, drink as a minor, or carry out a ton of other 'normal' behavior. illegal does not equal immoral....and that fight club quote iofthestorm used ealier was waaay off. that quote is about consumerism and materialism, and you tried to apply it to downloading over buying? if anything, your need to have the booklet and lyrics and shit own you more than those who only care about the actual music. if you dont buy all the shit that comes packaged around the music you arent a music fan? wtf am i listening to on my mp3s then? the fucking cover art? you're full of shit.

Thank you Papa Josh, maybe reading it from another person whom Erik doesnt hate, will encourage Erik to actually think.

I dont know why all the hate man (Erik), I got nothing against you and I didnt mind the first few insults- as I was insulting you as well, but now you are starting to piss me off. There is a certain beauty with the anonymity of internet posting, but somehow i think things would be different if we were face to face.

J. said:
mp3s suck ass and are for saps.
Is this aimed at just people who download MP3s and don't buy the album, or also to people who download MP3s regularly but WILL buy the album if they like what the hear?

I'm also interested in what distinction certain people make between downloading MP3s and owning CD-Rs. There's been people post in this thread who seem to be against downloading MP3s, but who own a lot of CD-Rs. For instance, NAD (I'm only saying you because you post your CD-R hauls), out of all the CD-Rs you get sent from other people on this board, are you going to buy EVERY single album that you liked? And if you aren't, will you carry on listening to those CD-Rs in the future? I'm not having a go at anyone, just interested.

Papa Josh said:
Your music requires $$ to survive, thus making it industry. Get over your idealistic music for the sake of art fuck money gripe. You wanna make money on your art or work a suckass job for the rest of your life?

The labels are responsible for their own demise or survival. Same with record stores, they all must get with the times or watch it all fall.

Otherwise, I suggest staying put in your bedrooms and garages and never worry about the outside world hearing even a peep from you.
It's a bit fun to read that the same day as the Nasheim CD is released actually. Plus I don't really care as long as I get it myself.
Papa Josh said:
The labels and bands like Metallica are the ones who caused people like yourself to despise downloading. Had they reacted in a more intelligent manner and figured out a way for this to benefit them, things might be different. For all of your bitching and moaning about downloading and sharing, half of these fucking labels that are 500 feet underground would never even be heard of if not for the traders out there. This is the same shit that happened with tape trading back in the day....
I have no problem with small scale downloading as in trying stuff out before buying or getting stuff that isn't avalible, and Metallica have nothing to do with that. Trading stuff is fine by me, ripping those who need and deserve it off is not. I don't steal clothes or gas for my car either even though I'm pretty certain the oil companies would do pretty well without my money. I am no thief.

owning CD-R's = downolading

like I said, all this to me is the same as tape trading from back in the days.

Doom said:
Is this aimed at just people who download MP3s and don't buy the album, or also to people who download MP3s regularly but WILL buy the album if they like what the hear?
It's aimed at people who download entire albums, and then claim that those downloads are legit albums, and yes, those who download entire albums because they don't want to spend money on the genuine article.

As far as these CDr hauls lately, those are more for people exploring new music, I believe, which is fine IMO, simply because I'm sure they'd by the real thing if they did like the album.

As for me, I think I have 6 or 7 CDr's:

Stand-Up Guy - Has ANything You've Done Made Your Life Better
This is a demo, and I think it was only released on CDr. I have all the inserts, and this was purchased from the band.

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky and Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
These were included in a trade with Erik, as I wanted to hear these highly-praised albums.

Arcane Sun - Fade (A Soundtrack to the Arcane)
Never released. Only available on CDr.

Scald - Rancid Fuckhole
First demo. Only available on CDr. GOt it in a trade with the band.

Agalloch - The Mantle
I own the album.

As far as downloaded songs stored on my computer, I don't have any, don't want any, don't need any.

When you download mp3s you're downloading communism.

and most people (I think) didn't keep a library of fiftyfive billion albums on copied tapes without ever thinking of buying the LPs they really liked, but I may be slightly wrong here

Reactions: SonOfNun
It makes me laugh when UM has those "List Your Collection" threads, and some schmo lists a collection of like 2000 albums, many hard-to-find. Then he says, "yeah, these are all stored on my computer". Sorry bud.

There is no difference between CD-R trades, tape trades, and mp3 downloading.
Doom said:
For instance, NAD (I'm only saying you because you post your CD-R hauls), out of all the CD-Rs you get sent from other people on this board, are you going to buy EVERY single album that you liked?
Yes, and I have purchased several already. That's the little rule to CD-R trades really, if you like it you buy it. The two groups I listen to the most due to CD-Rs are Swans and The Lord Weird Slough Feg, and I have since purchased several albums from each (although not the ones I have CD-Rs of... yet :loco: ).
And if you aren't, will you carry on listening to those CD-Rs in the future?
If I listen to one repeatedly I put in my list to buy. The only time I won't is if the only proper copies are ridiculously priced used copies, like certain Swans albums going for $75 which NO WAY will I pay. I will buy the remasters if / when they are released. :D

Honestly most CD-Rs I've received end up like all my promos: when I'm done doing my write-up, I don't listen to them anymore.

fotmbm said:
When you download mp3s you're downloading communism.
mp3.jpg

The only cdr I own that I can think of that doesn't contain Lethal or Nasheim material is a Darkthrone rehearsal with unreleased tracks and tracks from what was to become Goatlord and A Blaze, and I must say I don't feel like I'm stealing Fenriz' kneipp at all.