What percentage of your music has been downloaded?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
How would you split your collection between 'real albums that you've bought' and 'songs that you've downloaded for free'?

I'd say I have about 10 songs on MP3 format, and I'll average 6000 songs on CD (across my 600 albums):

0.16%

(To be fair, anything you once owned on MP3 but have since bought no longer counts in your MP3 tally. Neither do MP3s you've ripped from CDs you already own).

I usually like to listen to an album before I buy it, even though I still do buy blindly sometimes. I download a lot and I buy a lot. I'd say I have about 1000 cds and 120 GB of music. I have to do a lot of cleaning on the Gb of music though because there is a SHITLOAD that I will never listen to, ever.

I only download live, rare, or free tracks, probably have downloaded about 6 illegal mp3's in the past 8 years or so.

0% actually , deleted all my mp3s , it wastes the discovery , I really mean it .

I have plenty of MP3's but about 99% of that is stuff I ripped myself from my CD's and tapes, or else it's stuff that I have on vinyl and tape and downloaded MP3's of for convenience. Some downloaded rare stuff in there, like the Anathema, October Tide and Paradise Lost demos, that I wouldn't be able to get for reasonable money anyway.

Erik said:
I have plenty of MP3's but about 99% of that is stuff I ripped myself from my CD's and tapes, or else it's stuff that I have on vinyl and tape and downloaded MP3's of for convenience. Some downloaded rare stuff in there, like the Anathema, October Tide and Paradise Lost demos, that I wouldn't be able to get for reasonable money anyway.
I have the second October Tide digipak cd, but I have NEVER seen the first one, not even a cover...

And on this whole subject, there was a very interesting segment on Nightline last night about this. You hear certain industry people whining about what downloading does to sales, but there are just as many studies that state exactly the opposite.

Personally, I think the sale of used cds is what killed a lot of sales. Stores like Wherehouse (who filed bankruptcy), I mean c'mon if you have a choice between the $17.99 cd and the identical title used for $8.99, which one are you gonna go for?

I have the first October Tide album. I paid $50 or so for it on eBay. Yeah, I know, but I REALLY wanted it. The one I have on MP3 is the demo tape, "Blue Gallery"...

i have no idea of any percentage, but the only mp3s i have that i don't own a cd for are those that i've downloaded before buying and found to be sucky and hence not bought the orginal. and of course some rare stuff that are not finacially viable to get hold of like otyg demos, moonblood's blut und krieg, the ofermod 7" and similar stuff.

mp3's are nice btw, i would not have discovered many of my favourite bands if it wasn't for it

I disagree with their ultra leftist bent, but I agree with their thoughts on Intellectual Property. Heres an excerpt from a group of Italian authors that go by the pseudonym Luther Blissett:

These classes and interests are obsolete even from a capitalist point of view: nowadays wealth is produced in such a way that makes copyright outdated, an ideological wreck whose mere existence inhibits creativity, curbs the growth of "cognitive capital". Present-day growth requires networks of social cooperation and brainstorming in all directions. In order to be productive, ideas must be free to circulate.
If you wish to hear classic Marxist terms, we'll say that the development of productive forces is provoking a crisis in the relations of production. Think of P2P platforms which allow you to share and exchange MP3 files; think of such technologies of reproduction as CD burners: the fact that these things are on the market proves that the Berne convention on intellectual property is being superceded by the very development of productive forces.
In plain words, if you sell me such technologies as computers, samplers, scanners, CD burners and photocopiers, then you shouldn't be entitled to call the cops because I'm allegedly using them "the wrong way"!
There is a vast (not yet fully self-conscious) anti-copyright movement, which the intellectual property mafia oppose fiercely by worsening the existing laws. Moreover, the mob counterattacks on a bigger scale by extending the logic of intellectual property to living beings and human genes, which means that the battle on copyrights is one of the most important frontlines in the present-day socio-ecological war.
Anyway, "we" are winning the battle on the cultural industry, just think of music: nowadays big record companies plead poverty, attack "pirates", witness the dramatic decrease of their profits. Perfect!
Bubbles are bursting and parasites get debunked, e.g. clowns who've become millionaires just because their one and only hit has been played at piano bars for thirty years, or well known associations that monopolize the enforcement of copyright laws and share the money they extort between the Big Families that control the business etc. etc.
The way we access to music (and all cultural artifacts) is changing, "mass culture" is being replaced by a new kind of "folk" culture, which stems on live performances, solidarian networks, sharing, DIY culture (self-production, self-distribution, word-of-mouth). After all, it will get less and less important to know who wrote this and who wrote that. Artists will cease to be Authors (with the capital "a") or "personages", they'll become storytellers again, they'll be minstrels, bards, griots.

yeah, that's a hollow "excuse". I'm not anti-mp3, but reading that some UMers have nearly 200 albums on their computer is ridiculous. Listening to a song or two to decide whether or not you want the album is great, I think. And downloading those limited-to-50-copies albums or rare demos is fine, because usually the band's put that stuff on their website.

But downloading music just because your too lazy to get a damn job is not a valid excuse, methinks.

I am sorry you are not intelligent enough to embrace a opinion far above your own capacity.

The basic fact is, music copyright law has been far surpassed by technology. This happens quite often in the field of law ( I went to law school)- for instance 100 years ago, in America, you owned the air above your house, with the creation of the airplane this changed.

Today with Cd burners, fileshring software, mp3 software, anyone can spread or download music and other media without paying a copyright fee. Is this so wrong? No. If the music and movie industry wishes to make money as it did in the past, and if lawyers decide copyrights are important, they will either adapt the law- or will improve technology. Before this happens, the music industry doesnt have a leg to stand on.