Re Equalize your own copy of EoR

passenger 57

Mar 18, 2003
hey all, im back. Had to format my harddrive due to the new Xp virus floating around. Im sure all of you remember my popular post on the EoR production that had to be taken down due to the overwelming responce, and legality issues lol. I figured i'd post and idea how to fix your own copy of EoR, this way im not sending mp3's and pissing of the label etc; As darth posted in a similiar thread "the album was remastered-- could the mp3 be the original mastering? it's actually an eq problem, as passenger57 showed us. put in some trebble and take out a little of the lower frequencies. it's a fantastic recording, only the eq is messed up."

Hes right. All it will take is a little equalizing, and thats where i can show you what to do. You need a program called Cool Edit Pro 2.0. That can be downloaded. I have cakewalk so i used the cool edit pro and the cakwalk/sonar eq to stabalize the sound, therefore taking the "blanket" off the sound as mentioned alot of times on my old thread. I used sonar to do other things to the sound, but I found that using Cool Edit Pro can work almost as good. If you dont have cakewalk/sonar all you do is this. Rip your "purchased" copy of EoR to your computer into mp3's (use cdex for this) once you have that done you then open up Cool Edit Pro. Then you click on "open file" and search for the mp3's you just ripped. Select the mp3 (one at a time) and open it. If you got this far the rest is easy. Then it will import it. Next click on "effects" then "filters" then "graphic equalizer". You can mess around with that yourself or you can simply choose the "30 Band Punch and Sparkle" preset and preview it if you want, and click on ok when you are done. It will then re-equalize the mp3. Click save. Thats it. Lots of users have heard what ive done to the sound. It will go from the sound you are complaining about to the quality similiar to DHIADW or PoE. No joke. This is the best way, so that its safe, legal, and there will be no "bootlegging" of any sort. Any questions message me here at the board.

-Passenger 57

I will print what you say and try it...
and pass it on to some metal producers....

I just roll off the bass and the mids, and give the treble a little boost using Windows Media Player or Winamp. That works for me, but your solution is a permanant fix... good call.

Thanks for the tips man. I used cool edit pro before to improve the sound on the 92 demo mp3s, it worked out pretty well so i'm definitly expecting good results with EOR *gets to work*

jimbobhickville said:
so, can you also remove the static?
there are plugins out there that will weed through the sound file and attempt to remove pops and crackles. I use Steinberg AudioWave for most of my work. They're not flawless. A lot of the static I'm hearing from EOR is when I boost something too high. One of the things that might reduce overall distortion is, instead of boosting certain places, try reducing the gain on the other EQ settings that need to be toned down a touch. The overall result is the same, you may just have to toy with gain, later.

Dunno. You could always download the free demo of ProTools and see if you can match Bob Rock's "mastery" of sound. (*man, I couldn't even type that with a straight face*)

passenger 57 said:
No, you can save them as .wav files then burn to cd.

You can save to a .wav but all you're doing is saving an mp3 as something else. It was still converted to mp3 in which case you lose stuff in the process.

And I was just wondering cuz I really don't like the sound of mp3s. Hard to explain but there's a definite difference between those and the actual cd.

FrostGiant said:
You can save to a .wav but all you're doing is saving an mp3 as something else. It was still converted to mp3 in which case you lose stuff in the process.

And I was just wondering cuz I really don't like the sound of mp3s. Hard to explain but there's a definite difference between those and the actual cd.

Maybe you have dog hearing so you notice all the frequencies that are missing. :D

FrostGiant said:
It's noticeable if you know what's supposed to be there. If I never heard the album I might not notice, well other than an mp3 rip tends to screw with the cymbal sounds.

No offense, but in this case, mp3's are the option to take due to the production of EoR. I burned my revised EoR, and it sounds 1 million times better than the regular cd. So in this case mp3 wins over .cda (wav)

FrostGiant said:
It's noticeable if you know what's supposed to be there. If I never heard the album I might not notice, well other than an mp3 rip tends to screw with the cymbal sounds.

Yes I've also noticed problems with the cymbals but only on lower bitrates. 128 kbps still has some but not 192 kbps. Probably the codec has also something to do with the end result.

Distorted said:
Yes I've also noticed problems with the cymbals but only on lower bitrates. 128 kbps still has some but not 192 kbps. Probably the codec has also something to do with the end result.

True, just make sure you encode them as high as possible.

passenger 57

I would like to thank you for taking the trouble to explain to us how to do this. I followed your advice and it sounds GREAT!! Thanks again man!