EoR Sort of Sucks.....Thanks for nothing W.D.

S

Sad Soul

What the fuck happened??? Dead Heart had great songs, a great vocal performance by W.D. But EoR doesnt even touch the worst of nevermores songs. The production is pure urine cakes. What the hell has Kelly Gray ever done??? Take a listen to the last Evergrey cd or Opeth. The production is crisp and every instrument has a great sound. EoR is a bit muddy, the snare gets lost in the mix on some songs. Warrels vocal performance is lacking soul. Sure he can sound mean and angry, but on this cd he doesnt seem to have that wonderful full voice that has been heard on earlier cd's. I put the cd in last night and skipped almost all the songs. Nothing really stands out to me, boring and nothing new.

Nevermore, you guys fucked up. I would love to hear from the band and their thoughts on the production, and the lack of the new material having any substance.

Damn, its hard to type when your crying.......

I agree that the production is very bad, and due to that fact Warrel's voice has not that effect on me compared to their other records, but I think (after listening to the CD about 6 times), that the songwriting is very good! It is still Nevermore, and I think that those songs have a lot of substance. Especially the lyrics are quite interesting and reflect (so do I think) the thoughts of many intelligent men.
But as always, it is a matter of taste, and if you don't like the songs, there is nothing we can do for you.

Especially the lyrics are quite interesting and reflect (so do I think) the thoughts of many intelligent men.

So are you saying that WD is a schizo or has a multiple personality disorder? It's a pretty much well known fact that he writes all the lyrics. :)

What is it with the Dead Heart examples? Dead Heart sucks, in my opinion.

I'll grant you EoR's production isn't great, but it's not that much worse than Dead Heart's. Dead Heart sounds just as muddy to me. Maybe you like ballads ("Believe in Nothing," "The Heart Collector," "Insignificant") or nu-metal style riffs (every other song on the album except "Sound of Silence"). Then I guess you're right not to like EoR. If you like PoE, I don't see how it's possible not to like EoR--it's fast, heavy, technical, and melodic.

And no soul? geez. The vocals are great (lyrics too). Maybe you should listen to the songs instead of skipping them.

And speaking of the Opeth production, Damnation was good. Its first half, Deliverance, wasn't so good. The drums sound like they were recorded in another country or something. They're completely detached from the rest of the band. Talk about having no soul.

Sad Soul said:
What the fuck happened??? Dead Heart had great songs, a great vocal performance by W.D. But EoR doesnt even touch the worst of nevermores songs. The production is pure urine cakes. What the hell has Kelly Gray ever done??? Take a listen to the last Evergrey cd or Opeth. The production is crisp and every instrument has a great sound. EoR is a bit muddy, the snare gets lost in the mix on some songs. Warrels vocal performance is lacking soul. Sure he can sound mean and angry, but on this cd he doesnt seem to have that wonderful full voice that has been heard on earlier cd's. I put the cd in last night and skipped almost all the songs. Nothing really stands out to me, boring and nothing new.

Nevermore, you guys fucked up. I would love to hear from the band and their thoughts on the production, and the lack of the new material having any substance.

Damn, its hard to type when your crying.......

I don't think it's muddy at all!!
It's different i have to admit that, every time i hear different things.. it's very surprising!
It's chrystal clear to me, if ya listen very carefully, you hear whisperings in some songs, in and outro's but also during bridges.
I love it!!

Sounds to me you need to get ON the wire, Sad Soul!!
Don't hang yourself by it!

-x-
Iris

Uh, I wouldn't say it's crystal clear by any stretch of the imagination. I do know that if you listen closely you can almost hear the cymbals buried somewhere in the background. Sorry but I can't stick up for the production and mix on this one. But the songs are killer. I can't rip on that at all.

yeah...what's the deal with everybody referring back to DHIADW? Yes, it was a good album, but in my opinion it wasn't a metal breakthrough.

And Damnation ruled!

have any of you tried adjusting the eq... or better yet get better stereo equipment. kmarts special edition boombox is not the way to go. yes the production isn't the greatest of all time but it gets the job done fine. the new stuff kicks serious fucking ass

Actually I listened to it thru my studio monitors. It's mixed (IMO) to be played loud. That's kind of what you do when you go for the more live feel. And no it's not that bad but it could be much better. (but I still think the cymbals are way to far in the background, even when played loud)

My $200 Harman Kardon speakers for my PC (that are hooked up to an SB Live! card) say EoR's production is just fine, too. :)

Unregistered2 said:
So are you saying that WD is a schizo or has a multiple personality disorder? It's a pretty much well known fact that he writes all the lyrics. :)

:lol: Damn, that is not what I meant. I tried to say that many people identify with his lyrics. Sorry for my english, but I just finished school and I already started to forget some of the things I learned. Unfortunately, speaking english seems to be one of it... :erk:

Actually DNB is probably the only one that sounds good at low and high volumes. I think DHiaDW actually sounds worse than this one at lower volumes, but I love the drum sounds on that one so that's a win.

Also, I usually only complain about the production like the first day I have the cd. Then I get over it. It's just not as important as the songs are.

Holy shit, the solos are fucking amazing, but I can't hear the god damned drums! What the fuck happened to the production?
Some of the best guitar and vocal riffs and harmonies (not to mention the songs) yet, but where did those bass drums go?? SOMEONE GET ANDY SNEAP ON IT, QUICK.

Should kick ass live, it's just too bad they're touring with some fucking wankers like Dimmu Borgir.