EoR Sort of Sucks.....Thanks for nothing W.D.

Personally I dig the production on EoR. It sorta reminds me of The Art of Balance by Shadows Fall. That album has similar production values IMO. But, hey, who gives a shit. EoR rules in my opinion...I can't stop playing it. And that's really all that matters. If no one else likes it or some fucktard comes on here for the first time and trashes it...so be it. I don't give a shit. It's their opinion whether truthful or not.

thunderhead said:
....and your 2 post total verifies that you are a jackass just here to stir shit. Go fuck yourself.

Don't mean to defend the "jackass", but isn't this a thread criticizing the new album? Maybe you guys who all love the album should start your own thread so you can praise it over and over again. EoR will tank. Face it. They may have hooked Travis Smith to make killer art, but it's had a lukewarm response already and EVERY band needs to have sales to survive. Rather than asininely slamming someone for having a contradictory opinion, in fashion that doesn't sound like schoolyard fucking trash, tell us why you like EoR? I may be a guest and "unregistered", but that's only because I wanted to see if this forum could have an intelligent conversation about the weaknesses of EoR, of which there are many. I may only have (now) 2 posts to my credit, but that doesn't mean I don't read this shit regularly.

Perhaps I just showed up to trash the album, because, well, I'm fuckin disappointed. I need a place to vent and I thought this was the place. As a person who has followed metal for close to 20 years, I respect Nevermore and their creations. To me, they are the best. Throw Metallica out the window. Megadeth, puleease. Nevermore didn't follow any trend, even when they were Sanctuary, and for that they will always have my respect. I'm just really disappointed in EoR. As I said, other people will like it and I understand that. IMHO, "Art of Balance" was mediocre too, but I'm a big fan of "Reroute to Remain", "Damnation", and "The Impossibility of Reason", just to name a few albums I dig right now. Eor just doesn't equal that production value, even though it's got great solos in odd places.

I'm done. Flame away and have a nice day.

tr8tr

tr8tr said:
I'm a big fan of "Reroute to Remain", "Damnation", and "The Impossibility of Reason", just to name a few albums I dig right now. Eor just doesn't equal that production value, even though it's got great solos in odd places.

I'm done. Flame away and have a nice day.

tr8tr

I also really dig Reroute to Remain...but I'm in the minority here on that. I thought the production was well done, and of course it is nothing like EoR. I admit when I first heard EoR I thought wtf? Why is the production so muddy....but the more I hear it the more I like it.

It's been well document out of the Nevermore camp that Century Media wouldn't pony up the dough for quality production. Loomis stated in an interview that they wanted Sneap, but he was in production with Arch Enemy (another CM artist) at the time. I figure CM was trying to get Nevermore to sign a new contract and when the band decided to keep their options open, CM cut back their production costs. Everyone recall when Nevermore was going to play a few dates on the Vans Warped Tour a year or so ago and had to pull out because Century Media wouldn't pay for the tour? Don't blame this on Nevermore, blame their shitty label.

Well im glad that tr8tr's criticism is at least intelligent and coherent in its argument. Granted, the album was a bit of a let down for me as well. Im still in the review stages of the album. i cant quite put my finger on it but something is obviously missing from this recording.

Hapexamendios said:
It's been well document out of the Nevermore camp that Century Media wouldn't pony up the dough for quality production. Loomis stated in an interview that they wanted Sneap, but he was in production with Arch Enemy (another CM artist) at the time. I figure CM was trying to get Nevermore to sign a new contract and when the band decided to keep their options open, CM cut back their production costs. Everyone recall when Nevermore was going to play a few dates on the Vans Warped Tour a year or so ago and had to pull out because Century Media wouldn't pay for the tour? Don't blame this on Nevermore, blame their shitty label.

Amen.

I used to do a lot of rep work for CM & they are some of the worst tightwads when it comes to $$$

As far as the guy's comment about someone only having two posts to his credit, who fucking cares? So, he posts when he has something to say, that's a lot better than listening to some of these fucks that have diahrrea of the mouth.

Choke on your own shit!

yeah i agree, at least his posts are not of the "this albem is shitt an wd can suck his own nob becuse this album is shit and jeff is fucked at gutar n i will stomp on his face wit ma combat boots".

Oh how I love those posts. Personally I love EoR but it is my least favourite of Nevermore's (competing with PoE). I think it is a fair argument that a lot of these songs (apart from the ballads) are devoid of hooks. Although I have only had the album for four days, so my opinion will undoubtedly change as I become better acquainted with it. It just isn't grabbing me by the nuts and forcing me to listen to it like I like my Nevermore. That said, better than 90% of stuff released this year.

I don't know about the album tanking. I do believe that this is going to be the best as far as sales go (although I haven't heard it yet because THE END DOESN'T HAVE IT IN!), especially with MTV actually calling century media and demanding a video from Nevermore. That definitely cannot be a bad sign.

I got EOR today and it certainly doesn't suck. It's still Nevermore. It's not a copy of the previous albums. It's got some great songs. The production isn't the best possible but considering the reasons behind that I will not hold it against the band. The next one will probably have better...

there are a lot of factors at play with this album.

Nevermore has been badmouthing CM. CM is notoriously cheap. CM thinks Nevermore is going to another label and so doesn't want to pay for more elaborate production, or perhaps even publicity, tour costs, etc.

It is a history lesson for some of you younger people, but often when a band has only one album left to do on their contract, and they know they will be signing with someone new, they are less than motivated, especially when they feel the company is fucking them in the ass. without vaseline. rock history is full of artists turning in completely worthless product just to fulfill their contract. (Perhaps the worst example of this was Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, which was completely unlistenable...it is so bad that even an artist the stature of Reed, you can only buy it in Japan).

I'm not saying Nevermore intended to turn in something worthless, I think they have way too much pride to do that. But psychologically, it would not be difficult to understand that they were less motivated.

as for the post comparing EOR to St.A, it seems alot of people are less than thrilled, especially after waiting for so long. I'm waiting to see what I think after I listen to it more than one time.

Dane's vocals sound strained and out of place--almost like he's turning into Geoff Tate, a man who once had range and power but screamed his voice away and is now a caricature of what he used to be as a vocalist. I wouldn't compare EoR to DHIADW nor DNB nor PoE (all of which I loved and count highly as my all-time favorite CDs). I just don't know what to say other than this album depresses me. I expected EoR to be THE METAL ALBUM of the year.

I agree with everything, except for the fact that you left out Refuge Denied and Into the Mirror Black as your favorites :)

Hapexamendios said:
He meant "Matt" Barlow....you referred to him as Michael Barlow...honest mistake.

Whoops...my bad. Can't believe I made that mistake. I've only been listening to Iced Earth since Stormrider. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't have a clue why I called him Michael.

tr8tr

Lord of Metal said:
I don't know about the album tanking. I do believe that this is going to be the best as far as sales go (although I haven't heard it yet because THE END DOESN'T HAVE IT IN!), especially with MTV actually calling century media and demanding a video from Nevermore. That definitely cannot be a bad sign.

Let's hope for CM's sake, the album tanks. If what an earlier poster said about CM is true, then fuck 'em. Nevermore is one of the most talented metal bands in existence today and if the label doesn't want to throw resources their way, then let them go to a label that will realize their talent and value. Nevermore deserves support from a label that will push their product.

I guess I could see "Enemies" as a video, so long as it doesn't look like "Future Tense" (did anyone check out that link from a different thread?). If I would've seen that video on Headbangers Ball in the early 90s, I would've ran FAR away from Sanctuary (and, thusly, Nevermore). EoR isn't all crap. I really like "Enemies of Reality", "Create the Infinite", "Who Decides". I know the album will grow on me, but I had pretty high expectations for EoR. I was greatly underwhelmed. If anything, maybe video time on Headbanger's Ball (it won't get on regular MTV rotation) will get more people to check out earlier Nevermore stuff (like PoE!!) and increase the sales of their good material.

I probably exaggerated when I implied that EoR is shit. Like someone else said, it's Nevermore and I dig it either way. It is better than 90% of the drivel out there now. The album has some really strong points, but I think it's weaker points outshine its strengths.

tr8tr

Unregistered2 said:
I agree with everything, except for the fact that you left out Refuge Denied and Into the Mirror Black as your favorites :)

Good point. "Sanctuary" and "Communion" are as good as anything Nevermore has done (if not a tad better, only because of expectations).

But one cannot have 5 favorite albums from the (virtually) same band, can they? :)

tr8tr

Sad Soul said:
I put the cd in last night and skipped almost all the songs. Nothing really stands out to me, boring and nothing new.

Damn, its hard to type when your crying.......

It's hard to judge a CD when you skip all the tracks.Maybe you should be a criTick for Rolling Stone magazine

But that is your thaughts of the new Nevermore
Shall respect that PHHH