What % of your CDs would you be happy with in MP3 format only?

pick

• Total voters
Jeez people, it's a few dollars. It's the same when you rent or go see a movie at the theater. Do you watch the movies on your computer first? At least if the CD is a stinker you can get some return from selling it.

I see about 3 movies a year. I used to buy maybe 5 CDs per month. It's not the same at all.

So would you buy a car without test driving it? You'd just buy it because some random dude told you it was nice. :loco:

I see the following scenarios here:

- people have money to waste
- people are very forgiving with what they consider great -> classic
- people simply don't own many CDs. It's a lot easier to keep all your CDs when you only own 200
- people are constantly trading and selling off

I'm just saying that I'm going to avoid that need for constanty trading or selling off by "test driving". :headbang:

I'll "ARCHIVE" the crap I get rid off (in MP3 format) in case I want to re-visit and maybe even rebuy. I doubt it though. The last (and only time) I did a mass clearance, I made a bunch of CD-R copies....those CD-Rs make good coasters.

Also, people people, get with the times....who the fuck listens to MP3s on PC speakers? Have you ever listened to an iPOD with shure headphones?? Or have you ever listened to an iPOD running through a BOSE hi-fi? It is unbelievable!!!

This thread became wickedly confusing. :lol:

I should have just asked how many CD's people trade away on average (or how many they've traded and sold ever) and whether they kept copies of those CDs before getting rid of them.

I should have just asked how many CD's people trade away on average (or how many they've traded and sold ever) and whether they kept copies of those CDs before getting rid of them.

I've gotten rid of thousands... most in the months before moving away from Atlanta preparing for the Finnish move.

Never copied of a single one of them.

Rebuying some now though. :p

I- people have money to waste

Check.

- people are very forgiving with what they consider great -> classic

I don't think that I do, though I certainly used to, and I have no problem with keeping slightly above average albums in my collection to listen to every now and then.
- people simply don't own many CDs. It's a lot easier to keep all your CDs when you only own 200

I have about 900 I think after removing about 100 or so that I could do without.

- people are constantly trading and selling off

I've only recently started to do this, but I should've done it sooner. I recently sold 21 crappy, generally common CDs on eBay and made about $190 from it (which I already re-spent on music that I already know that I'll like).

I'm just saying that I'm going to avoid that need for constanty trading or selling off by "test driving". :headbang:

I "test drive" a lot of music as well, but I'm still young and my tastes have changed and developed a lot within a short span of time, so that explains why I have an awful lot to trade away/sell. But usually when I listen to something on mp3 to see if I'll like it and I do like it, I'll usually not listen to it again until I actually buy it so it still feels new.

This thread became wickedly confusing.

In total I think I've sold/traded about 120, with about 40 of those left unsold/traded. The only ones that I have (mp3) copies of are those that I actually liked but traded to get something better, all of which I plan on rebuying.

I don't have an iPOD. From what Matt said, they are pieces of crap. Further, this doesn't make much sense but I don't want to be associated with Apple's targeted audience - which is usually waifish 20-something guys who can't bench press their own iPOD. I bet they sound just fine with those Shure phones though.

@ Necuratul: Good response.

So really, you have 900 CDs, all of which you would buy again if you didn't currently own them?

There are probably about a dozen or so that I have in my shelf that I need more listens to to decide what to do with them, but yes, I would rebuy all of them.

If that total gets up to 100 I'd be really surprised. Most of the sell-offs were years of accumulated label-provided ccrraaaappppppppp sold in large lots for a buck apiece. heh. Seemed better than just chucking it all in the trash.

That doesn't count!!!!!!!! You got them for free in the first place. You didn't even need to "test drive" those.

I don't have an iPOD. From what Matt said, they are pieces of crap. Further, this doesn't make much sense but I don't want to be associated with Apple's targeted audience - which is usually waifish 20-something guys who can't bench press their own iPOD. I bet they sound just fine with those Shure phones though.

Forget MP3 then, think CD-R. Jesus, you're just contributing dribble!

There are probably about a dozen or so that I have in my shelf that I need more listens to to decide what to do with them, but yes, I would rebuy all of them.

So really, you're saying that in approx. 888 of your CDs, they have all been the 'perfect' buy.

Was this from sampling first and then buying? Or was it blind buy purchases from reviews only?

Maybe you should be buying lottery tickets man because that is some SERIOUS hit rate!? :tickled:

Re: "making money from selling CDs" I don't understand this, guys. If you buy a CD for $15 and sell it for $2, you've lost $13. There's no way around this.
Now, I can understand selling a CD after saving it in mp3 format just in case you might listen to it again someday. But, seems like it's more trouble to sell it than to just put it in a drawer somewhere.