Am I the only one here that still buys only CDs??

Cataloging collections of any kind isn't a strange, or even new, concept at all....

Yeah, the idea that there are people out there who *don't* keep a catalog of their collection is more shocking to me!

I created my own custom database with a web-based front-end that not only stores data on the contents of my music collection (duh!), but it also stores data on EVERY SONG I'VE LISTENED TO over the last 5+ years. (though sadly as I've switched to Spotify I've stopped collecting that listening-data because I haven't had time yet to write a plug-in that would do the work).

Neil

Yeah, the idea that there are people out there who *don't* keep a catalog of their collection is more shocking to me!

I created my own custom database with a web-based front-end that not only stores data on the contents of my music collection (duh!), but it also stores data on EVERY SONG I'VE LISTENED TO over the last 5+ years. (though sadly as I've switched to Spotify I've stopped collecting that listening-data because I haven't had time yet to write a plug-in that would do the work).

Neil

That is beyond impressive. Holy shit.

How do 'album plays' work? Do they calculate how many time you've listened to the full album? Or would listening to track 1 from a 10-track album 10 times be a full listen, too?

How do you guys catalog all this stuff???

Collectorz.com Music Collector. I switched to it from Excel when my collection was around 3500 discs, so I needed something that would let me scan barcodes or scan the discs and pull the disc data down from the Internet. It takes me a few minutes per disc every time I buy one, but that's only because I like high-quality scans of the artwork, so I usually scan them myself. There are a few annoying things about the app, but for the most part it's easy to use and full-featured.

That is a LOT of disks! I wish I had that kinda collection.

My collection is basically a big mess of CDs in my car.............

I have like 5,000 CDs, and only now starting cataloguing them on Excel!! I think I will finish by the time I am 80, right now I am 32 years old!!! LOOOLL

How do you guys catalog all this stuff???

I bought the Collectorz program which i saw someone else on here is using. it WAS a good program to use. I bought the barcode scanner and over a week i scanned all of my collection in.

my main issue with Collectorz now is where their program draws it's data from now for automatic entry is garbage. when i entered my stuff in they were still pulling from Amazon database which was super accurate and has almost everything in it. Amazon cut off all programs that were using a back way into their database so it stopped being as accurate immediately after that happened. They are using Discogs now I think and it sucks. if i scan in 10-20 new and old cds it might find 7 of them, the rest i have to enter manually.

however with Collectorz my collection is on my iphone so when i am out shopping i can keep from buying duplicates, which i had been doing too often. i used to know my collection front to back, but when a fire destroyed most of it my brain's database was wrecked. hahaha.

but the program helps keep everything straight nowadays.

There's just a special feeling having the actual cd/vinyl in hand. Amazon is amazing with all they have. And it's especially groovy when you've been searching months for that super rare one that finally pops up on eBay. It'll be happy days when I get the Mindscape self titled and Skeptic Sense in hand!

I bought the Collectorz program which i saw someone else on here is using. it WAS a good program to use. I bought the barcode scanner and over a week i scanned all of my collection in.

my main issue with Collectorz now is where their program draws it's data from now for automatic entry is garbage. when i entered my stuff in they were still pulling from Amazon database which was super accurate and has almost everything in it. Amazon cut off all programs that were using a back way into their database so it stopped being as accurate immediately after that happened. They are using Discogs now I think and it sucks. if i scan in 10-20 new and old cds it might find 7 of them, the rest i have to enter manually.

however with Collectorz my collection is on my iphone so when i am out shopping i can keep from buying duplicates, which i had been doing too often. i used to know my collection front to back, but when a fire destroyed most of it my brain's database was wrecked. hahaha.

but the program helps keep everything straight nowadays.

I found a CSV iphone app that lets me carry my excel list with me and quickly jump to specific artists. As you say, it keeps you from buying duplicates.

I also use Music Collector from Collectorz, been using it for several years now, and while it was better when it was able to source from Amazon and CDDB, it's still a very good program (just doesn't hand you as much detail). I buy a LOT of CD's, many that are not "mainstream" (as most on here probably do too), and only have to manually enter primary data (artist, album, etc.) for maybe 10%.

This shit has no place on this forum.

What the hell is wrong with trading live shows or asking if someone else does - no one here is selling them for money. Put your time to good use rather than having to comment on everything everyone posts on here. Absolutely fk'n ridiculous!!!!

If I had 5000 CDs to catalog, I'd get a cheap bar code setup, and use one of those collector programs. You can just pick one up, scan it, move to the next, and the software will fill in everything else for you. Just think about the difference in time and it would easily be worth the cost. Of course you can just enter the codes yourself, but again, I'd rather just scan it.

I honestly have no idea how many CDs I have. I haven't had them on display anywhere for a long time. I get them, they go in boxes after ripping. The collection hasn't been in the one place for a very long time. More often scattered in assorted rubbermaid bins and such, as the bulk is in storage. I have zero desire to catalog them, as I never use them. Once ripped, they are redundantly stored on hard drives, and I only listen to them on the computer or on an i-device of some kind.

I also use Music Collector from Collectorz, been using it for several years now, and while it was better when it was able to source from Amazon and CDDB, it's still a very good program (just doesn't hand you as much detail). I buy a LOT of CD's, many that are not "mainstream" (as most on here probably do too), and only have to manually enter primary data (artist, album, etc.) for maybe 10%.

I am looking into it!!1 Did you buy the PRO version or the regular one? Is it worth the extra $???

What the hell is wrong with trading live shows or asking if someone else does - no one here is selling them for money. Put your time to good use rather than having to comment on everything everyone posts on here. Absolutely fk'n ridiculous!!!!

You're pirating material you don't own or have rights to, at least have the decency to take it to email.

You're pirating material you don't own or have rights to, at least have the decency to take it to email.

Dude, stop being the police - I don't think he's talking about pirating. He said TRADE. TRADE.

Anyways, I was gonna say - CD's are nice, but they just takes up soooo much space, and are so hard to organize, and if you don't organize them regularly then it's impossible to find a cd you're looking for.... Mp3's make things so much easier. When I buy CD's (and I do buy cd's from my favorites), I immediately rip it, listen to it once on CD, and then I just use the mp3's. Doing mp3's are even cooler now with the mobile age - when I got my droid phone, I found a program called subsonic. This program is so cool because it basically turns my home computer with it's mp3 library that is too big for even the biggest ipod into a music server. So I can access my music library and ANYTHING in it from anywhere.

And let's not forget that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of artists, from backyard bands to platinum sellers, who encourage taping, recording, and trading of shows. Pirated material my ass -- unless you have access to his trade database, of course.

I am looking into it!!1 Did you buy the PRO version or the regular one? Is it worth the extra $???

Really (as w/ most things like this) it's a matter of how much you want to do w/ it (i.e. you can upload your collection to a website pretty easily w/ the Pro version). I find it worth the extra $$, it's more versatile.

Really (as w/ most things like this) it's a matter of how much you want to do w/ it (i.e. you can upload your collection to a website pretty easily w/ the Pro version). I find it worth the extra $$, it's more versatile.

I have pro too. It's worth it to me to be able to export to HTML and other formats. I also have the iPhone app so I can sync it to my phone.

If you buy it now make sure you will get the next version for free. They are about to come out with a new version in the next month or two and it would suck if you had to pay to upgrade.