Am I the only one here that still buys only CDs??

I'm a CD buyer. Always will until they stop them. My thing is I like something tangible. I've had issues with losing data and such in the past, so more than anything, I like to have it because if something crashes, I have it. Having said that, typically my cds are for collection only and rarely play them as I usually listen through my iPod or iTunes. The only time I will buy digitally, which may have been 5 times max is if it's something I can't get a hold of any other way, or the CD price is astronomically high compared to digital.

I'm all about the mp3 now. After a few thousand physical cd's, there's just no way to keep track, inventoried, stored, etc, so it all got ripped and put up on the amazon cloud (and on my hard drive(s)) for me to listen to at work, in the car, at home, on my phone, etc.

Now I can instantly go back and listen to someone that I want to whenever I want to. The Shinedown thread is a good example, I head Saigon Kick in the song Bully, and I was able to instantly pull up their first three CD's to listen and compare to.

The prices are almost always better, which means more music which is more value to me. I have a lot of different musical tastes, and even if I didn't, buying digital seems the only way to keep up with all the good stuff coming out now.

And I still don't get the sound quality argument. I have a VERY good and well-trained ear, and there's just not enough difference to matter in my opinion.

As much as I like the artwork and booklets (which these days I can't even read, the printing's so small!) it's still all about the music for me.

I'm still a cd consumer. We're pushing almost 12,000 here. There is a ton of clutter, but there is nothing like a CD. I download some things from iTunes, but if I can find the cd I go that route...the mp3 doesn't get as much repeat play as a cd does; I dunno, must be a mental block.

And I still don't get the sound quality argument. I have a VERY good and well-trained ear, and there's just not enough difference to matter in my opinion.

As much as I like the artwork and booklets (which these days I can't even read, the printing's so small!) it's still all about the music for me.

There is a difference in sound quality when you go lower than 320, but almost unnoticeable at 320, but...there is a difference, thats the key point here
Lol Isn't it a bitch getting old? The artwork still rules, I just have to squint a little bit more

My CD-buying era: 1993-2005
My download-buying era: 2005-2012

When my yearly eMusic subscription runs out in a couple months, that will likely be the last group of mp3s I ever buy. Streaming (via Spotify) is the next generation for me, and while I still have eMusic credits to use up on downloads, that already feels just as silly and pointless to me as buying CDs did in 2005.

To anyone considering a move away from CDs, you might consider skipping the already out-of-date paid-download scheme and leapfrogging straight to streaming. Just like how many in Africa, when moving away from smoke-signals for communication, didn't waste any time or money on land-line telephones and jumped straight to mobile phones instead.

Neil

To anyone considering a move away from CDs, you might consider skipping the already out-of-date paid-download scheme and leapfrogging straight to streaming. Just like how many in Africa, when moving away from smoke-signals for communication, didn't waste any time or money on land-line telephones and jumped straight to mobile phones instead.

Not while cell coverage is spotty and wireless companies charge out the ass for data. Fact is, there has been too many situations where I've had weak cell access. Even when access is good, dropouts happen and I hate that. Also, I hate to be at the mercy of a 3rd party as to if music I want to listen to is available, or will remain so. While I've tried streaming while jogging, I much prefer to use my MP3 player.

Streaming is good for the casual listener, or those looking to discover new music, but I don't see it as a replacement for buying music.

IMO it's an excuse people like to tell themselves. A lot of people like to believe they're audiophiles and can actually "hear" the difference between CD and HQ ripped mp3 or even FLAC. I'm sure there's one or two on this board who actually can be proven scientifically to hear the difference, but no where near as many here as claim to.

Streaming (via Spotify) is the next generation for me, and while I still have eMusic credits to use up on downloads, that already feels just as silly and pointless to me as buying CDs did in 2005.

To anyone considering a move away from CDs, you might consider skipping the already out-of-date paid-download scheme and leapfrogging straight to streaming.

I will stream exclusively as soon as Artists are paid appropriately. Until then I will buy digital copies of things I enjoy routinely.

I just recently started downloading from iTunes instead of buying the physical CD. It's become mainly a space issue for me and I like the fact that I can save a few bucks in the process as most digital downloads are cheaper. Case in point, the new Nightmare releases from A Sound Of Thunder, Dark Empire, and Hemina I got for $4.99 each on iTunes. Can't beat that.

As far as sound quality there is a slight difference but it's not a big enough gap to my ears that I'm gonna bitch about it.

I will continue to buy CDs if the price happens to be cheaper and if it's only available that way. The new Swallow The Sun I could only find a physical copy of. It's not available digitally in the US yet.

I do both.
The thing though is that I do most of my music listening in the car.
I am in the car over 2 hours a day.

So, in the past couple of years, the majority of CDs I purchase get ripped to ITUNES to go on my IPOD within a couple weeks anyhow with the physical CD collecting dust.

In the past year, I have simply just downloaded CDs, esp if its a band I am not a collector of.

There will always be major benefits of both.
Most of us grew up in the vinyl era and will always appreciate the complete package.

I mean, would ANY of us have the same appreciation for IRON MAIDEN if we didn't have LP size artwork in our collections?

CDs that arrived in the mail over the last week:

Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man and the Spirit
Epica - Requiem For the Indifferent
Halestorm - The Strange Case of...
Mr. Big - Live From the Living Room
Pretty Maids - It Comes Alive
Lanfear - The Harmonic Consonance
Xandria - Neverworld's End
Mystic Prophecy - Ravenlord

However I do have a Spotify premium account and I am definately moving more and more in that direction. The $10 per month to Spotify is probably going to save me $50+ each month in CD purchases since I can finally LEGALLY listen to full albums from *almost* every band I want to, and I think Spotify's collection is only going to get better. I will continue to support my favotite bands by buying their CDs, but I'm guessing that my CD purchases for this year will be less than half of previous years, and I think that trend will continue.

IMO it's an excuse people like to tell themselves. A lot of people like to believe they're audiophiles and can actually "hear" the difference between CD and HQ ripped mp3 or even FLAC. I'm sure there's one or two on this board who actually can be proven scientifically to hear the difference, but no where near as many here as claim to.

For me, it has less to do with sound quality and more for keeping an archive where I can transcode to any format I want.

Streaming (via Spotify) is the next generation for me, and while I still have eMusic credits to use up on downloads, that already feels just as silly and pointless to me as buying CDs did in 2005.

I wonder what percentage of the new releases I like is actually available on Spotify. I will never take the time to figure it out, but I doubt it is much higher than 60%. You limit yourself in so many ways, my friend. :D