Am I the only one here that still buys only CDs??

I wonder what percentage of the new releases I like is actually available on Spotify. I will never take the time to figure it out, but I doubt it is much higher than 60%. You limit yourself in so many ways, my friend. :D

I also like to make vast assumptions about things and then criticize people based on my completely unfounded perceptions! We should be internet friends!

I also like to make vast assumptions about things and then criticize people based on my completely unfounded perceptions! We should be internet friends!

He's right, though. Spotify's lacking catalog was the main reason I stopped using the service. Maybe a lot of 'mainstream' metal is represented but for the most part, most music is not available.

And in re: to the 'old medium' argument -- there are STILL many, many releases that are a) limited to a certain format(s) and b) not available for online consumption. They aren't useless, or even dying.

Sigh...

Neil is my friend, and I am just giving him crap. We have very different music listening habits (and musical tastes), and we give each other shit over those differences.

I mostly do not want to bother with Spotify because I am a dinosaur. I listen to mp3s, but I still want to purchase CDs. However, I also listen to a lot of albums by obscure, independent bands. If they are able to get themselves on Spotify, that's cool. I do not care enough to check.

I still buy them, although I probably should not.

When I started back buying CDs a few years ago, I told myself I was only going to buy CDs/special editions/box sets, etc from my all time favorite artists...established favorites only and be digital on all else.

Well, Walmart's $5 bin and the local used store's $1 bin has shot that plan all to hell. LOL!

Just like how many in Africa, when moving away from smoke-signals for communication, didn't waste any time or money on land-line telephones and jumped straight to mobile phones instead.

Well, yeah, but that's because they live in tents. :p

Anyway, I still buy CDs, and I have nowhere to put them, and I don't listen to half of them, and there's no market to speak of for used CDs anymore. So I have a problem.

I occasionally buy MP3s, but I find I'm much less likely to listen to them than CDs. Part of that may be because my car doesn't have an Aux input or USB. Maybe once I finally ditch this car for something new with updated stereo technology, I'll move more towards digital files.

Not while cell coverage is spotty and wireless companies charge out the ass for data. Fact is, there has been too many situations where I've had weak cell access. Even when access is good, dropouts happen and I hate that.

Paid-for streaming services allow you to store the music on your mobile device (which would usually be done over WiFi), so a cellular connection is not strictly necessary. It's not a whole lot different than a portable MP3 player in that respect; instead of transferring files from your computer to your MP3 player before you go out, you transfer files from the cloud to your phone before you go out.

That said, I currently have a fairly cheap cellular plan with no real data limits, so in practice I don't often pre-cache music (and then, I tend to listen to things pre-cached from my owned collection on Google Music when out of range rather than pre-cached Spotify). Perhaps if I had to change to a plan that required me to be more careful about pre-caching, streaming wouldn't be as attractive to me.

Also, I hate to be at the mercy of a 3rd party as to if music I want to listen to is available, or will remain so.

Yeah, if I was 17 and hadn't yet had time/money to curate my own music collection, I'd definitely be concerned about this. But since I'm old, I already have a giant collection of owned music from 2012 and earlier that will be more than enough to sustain me for the rest of my life if Spotify disappears. (then again if I was 17, I probably wouldn't give a shit about not having a collection socked away for a rainy day, and wonder what that fuck anyone wants to "own" music for in the first place!)

I will stream exclusively as soon as Artists are paid appropriately. Until then I will buy digital copies of things I enjoy routinely.

I've already done the math here a few times showing that streaming has the ability to provide artists with just as much income as paid downloads/CDs, though the time-based rate of that income may be somewhat different. But sure, I guess some people see even the "standard CD level" as an inappropriate level of income for artists to receive.

I wonder what percentage of the new releases I like is actually available on Spotify. I will never take the time to figure it out, but I doubt it is much higher than 60%. You limit yourself in so many ways, my friend. :D

I feel like I/you figured it out the percentage for iTunes/download-retailers at some point, and if so, it will be almost exactly the same for Spotify, since the catalogs are very similar. 60% might almost be too high. *I* find like 95% of the stuff that I care about on there, but that's because a lot of the stuff I'm looking for is from new-ish touring bands, who seem to make a point of making their stuff available everywhere in every form. And if it's not there (Century Media!), oh well, then I just won't listen to your stuff, and take up an interest in a band who *does* have there stuff there. If you somehow became limited to Spotify-only, I'm sure you would find a similar way to survive, much like how you fell in love with your Lilith Fair bands back when you lost track of metal. :D

Neil

Not at all! I own over 900 hard-copy CDs and I buy more regularly. I download mp3s like crazy, but only because my budget doesn't allow me to buy EVERYTHING I want right now. The fact is, I don't feel like I "own" it until I have it on a CD. Mp3s are a placeholder, they remind me that I need to buy that album soon! Not even iTunes counts as far as I'm concerned. I would much rather have a more expensive CD in my hand than a digital copy from Apple and their horrible software.

I almost exclusively listen to music via CDs. I don't download at all (legally or illegally), I don't stream. I sometimes listen to music on my mp3 player, but mostly when I travel.
I used to illegally download albums from bands I like when they leaked. I don't even do that anymore... I am now patient enough to wait for the actual CD.

I use youtube to listen to music sometimes (mosty to check out bands recommended to me).

And no, I am not 60. I am 28 years old and that's how I listen to music :p

Not at all! I own over 900 hard-copy CDs and I buy more regularly. I download mp3s like crazy, but only because my budget doesn't allow me to buy EVERYTHING I want right now. The fact is, I don't feel like I "own" it until I have it on a CD. Mp3s are a placeholder, they remind me that I need to buy that album soon! Not even iTunes counts as far as I'm concerned. I would much rather have a more expensive CD in my hand than a digital copy from Apple and their horrible software.

I have this mentality as well. I don't go out and DL albums, but 99% of the albums I get to review are in MP3 format, and I don't feel like I truly own the album unless I have the CD on my shelf. Case in point, I bought the new Angel Witch CD today, but have been listening to the MP3 version for a couple of months now.

I still buy as many CDs as possible and vinyls too (the 7" ep is my all time favorite format). Like others have mentioned, not having a physical copy is actually not owning the music (in my book). Also there is the thing of using more senses when playing a physical format, you can actually touch the artwork and smell the paper so it is like a kind of fetish too.
I only download stuff that is extremly rare and expensive to buy, items that have a market value of $100 and more.

I still buy CDs. The quality is usually better than the typical mp3 download. If Hi-Res downloads were more available (and compatible with iTunes) I'd probably download more.

I'm 41 years old. Still buying Cds. My personal hard/rock and metal collection (ok...also about 5% blues) currently numbers 1,824 purchased CDs. I still have a sizable vinyl collection as well that consists of either rare, irreplaceable, or autographed records, and I still have a linear-tracking turntable that I make it a point to fire up on occasion. My collection is databased for tracking and insurance purposes, and everything is ripped in 192kbps. My wife has an 80-gig iPod, and I currently sport a very old 20-gig Dell Jukebox that a friend gave me looooong ago (it's pretty much my jukebox of greatest hits).

Aside from that, I prefer to spin albums individually. I have a JVC 6.1 digital system that was purchased with music in mind (as opposed to home theater), and it rocks a single disc player (as opposed to a changer or media-run system). While every other room in the house (including the kitchen) has some sort of system that sports an iPod connection, I still like the ability to hear the construction of an "album" as opposed to just random tracks.

That being said...I am at a bit of a crossroads. I'm getting ready to move for the first time in 10 years. The parts that I am most nervous about is the kitchen (I do a lot of cooking and have a shitload of high-end cookware and miscellaneous kitchen shit), and the CD collection. Ugh...packing up 1,800+ CDs and dismantling the homemade custom-built cabinets that hold them...that's gonna suck!

Here's to the old-school, baby...you're not alone!

Rock on!

I still buy cds all the time, will keep buying till they are gone all together. Have to have the package in my hands. Love looking at all the art work ,lyrics, and all the info of said cd. everything goes right to my ipod after a few spins.

Anyone notice the used CD's on Ebay are becoming more expensive? Use to get many of them for roughly 5.00 or so, but now with the increase seller fee's and this "free shipping," I have noticed prices creeping up.

Anyone notice the used CD's on Ebay are becoming more expensive? Use to get many of them for roughly 5.00 or so, but now with the increase seller fee's and this "free shipping," I have noticed prices creeping up.

For the last number of years, I've been getting most of my used CDs via Amazon. I just find them typically to be the cheapest. Years ago I did Half.com but Amazon caught up.