Am I the only one left...

booB

Señor Member
Mar 25, 2003
Cleveland, OH USA
... who has no desire to book a big-ass suite for ProgPower?

I'm perfectly happy staying with my 0 or 1 roommate, in my own little, teeny-tiny, standard, inexpensive hotel room, and going to YOUR parties; I don't need to throw my own. :) I don't plan on preparing meals... I tend to do maybe 10% of my eating in the room, and that usually consists of snacks. I hardly drink at all anymore, and have no reason to keep a fridge full of beer. And, I'm accustomed to living in small spaces; I've lived in dorm rooms and apartments for the last nine years.

I will continue to get the big-ass suite so that I can continue to sacrifice chickens before the show each day.

Don't you know you can go to Chick Fil-A and get chicken that is already pre-sacrificed for your convenience?

Its also cheeper boB

perhaps it's cheaper if you're interested in having 2 or 3 roommates... the lowest price for a suite that I've seen was $150/night... and in order to reliably get a good price on the suites, it seems like you have to book before the date of the festival is announced (therefore, you have to be "in the know"). If you book a double bed room when the date is announced, you can generally get a rate of about $80/night, which is $40 per person, and your room isn't jam-packed with people. (I got a rate of $100/night this year, but I waited a bit longer than most to book my room.)

booB said:
... who has no desire to book a big-ass suite for ProgPower?

I'm perfectly happy staying with my 0 or 1 roommate, in my own little, teeny-tiny, standard, inexpensive hotel room, and going to YOUR parties; I don't need to throw my own. :) I don't plan on preparing meals... I tend to do maybe 10% of my eating in the room, and that usually consists of snacks. I hardly drink at all anymore, and have no reason to keep a fridge full of beer. And, I'm accustomed to living in small spaces; I've lived in dorm rooms and apartments for the last nine years.

I'm with you there. It's not like I am used to a cramped space or anything (I live alone in a 2 bedroom apartment), but when I go to ProgPower, I'm not there to hang out in my room for hours and hours, it's just there to provide me with a place to sleep and shower. I have little need for a hotel room that's bigger and better furnished than my own apartment, heh. I don't really need a fridge full of beer either (I hardly drink... in fact, Dr. Metal's excellent Chimay was the first drink I've had in like 5 - 6 months), but I will say this... one year I got a room at the Residence since it was available cheap on Hotwire ($56 a night, split 2 ways so it was $28 per person), and while it was not a suite, it still had a mini-fridge... which was useful because I could buy a couple extra sandwiches at the Subway and throw them in there so I had something to eat late at night. But I don't think I'd pay twice as much for that convenience.

Still, for next year, I'm going to book right when the dates are announced, and I'm going to get something within walking distance of the venue. Not that cruising around in a rental minivan wasn't fun and all, but that Days Inn 2 miles away was a real piece of shit, even for $49 a night. :eek:

The only reason I am going to be getting a suite next years is because there will be 3 other people coming with me next. Two of the them sleep in the same bed as they are married while me and the other guy switch between the other bed and the couch. Because there aint no way I am sleeping in a bed with big fat hairy guy. Granted he is my friend, but yeesh!!

Petethedrummer said:
booB- i got a suite for $99/night at the residence inn with a double bed and a pull out couch, not all of them are all that expensive

Was that a suite or a single room?

well...it had a kitchenette which was connected to the living room with a tv/couch/ etc, and then the next room had the bed and another tv and was connected to the bathroom area

edit: the rooms werent HUGE, but they were big enough

interesting find... I'd still say that I plan on leaving the suites to you guys, and getting a regular room. The Residence rooms with the fridges sound exactly like what I'd like to get... I could buy refrigerated snacks then.

The Hampton Inn is great... but hopefully next year the Residence won't already be full when the festival dates are announced... I'd like to give it a try.

While I will likely not get a suite, I will probably upgrade from Super 8. Going to try to get 2-3 people with me this time.

I liked having the fridge and the microwave in the suite. We'd gone out to City Cafe during the early part of 'ProgPower SemiWeek' and I was able to heat up and pick on the leftovers the rest of the weekend....
Plus, you can stock the fridge with potables -- not necessarily alcoholic, mind -- to soothe the throat after a night of screaming along with the bands. :)

I did book just before the dates were announced, due to that little leak, and the rate I got for a studio was better than even AAA got. I have no problem cramming 3-4 people in a small room, because we're only in there to sleep and get girly - but being in a 1BR suite this year (Residence let us keep Christina's room for the price I booked the studio), I found I liked having a kitchenette, because we could buy fruit and yogurt and juice for snacking (rather than wasting more money than we needed to at restaurants), and store the leftovers from when we went out. It was also nice to have a couch and a tv where you could crash out without being hemmed in with beds and suitcases, esp. since we were there for four nights.