What % of your CDs would you be happy with in MP3 format only?

pick

• Total voters
0-25% although if i can help it i try to stick as close to zero as possible. I like having the cd with the artwork for one, liner notes, music that's on a manufactured disc, etc... Now there are certain cases where it's not possible such as with OOP stuff that's impossible to find no matter how much you frequent eBay, music only pressed onto vinyl and you don't have a record player.

What?

Perhaps there's some confusion here in this thread....

Firstly, I'm not talking about buying MP3s at all. I'm talking about the fact that every single CD I already own is converted to MP3 format. I NEVER EVER listen to my actual CDs anymore. I own an iPOD. Once in a blue moon I might spin a CD, but I am out the house from 7am to 7pm (I need my music to be portable).

That said, I want to keep my best CDs I own simply because I like to collect them, regardless of whether they ever get pulled off the shelf. It's nice to reference the artwork, lyrics, etc. No question.

One recent example is where I downloaded the new Negura Bunget album. I then went out and bought the CD. Fwiw, that CD is still in its plastic lining, never spun even once (not even the DVD), and my downloaded MP3s continue to exist on my iPOD.

Now, if so many of you are voting 0% then that implies you've never flopped out when buying blind. You telling me you haven't EVER bought a CD that was a complete stinker, or above average at best and not worth keeping?

Perhaps I'm the only one here that doesn't sell off all my crap. Basically, my collection just keeps accumulating and so I need to get rid of stuff (and certain items I might want on MP3 format if I ever feel the urge to listen to it). It's already mine because I've already paid for it.

Moving forward, I will NEVER buy based on reading a review only ever again. Thankfully we live in an age where you can sample the goods before buying, but that's a recent event -- some of my CDs date back to 1991.

Firstly, I'm not talking about buying MP3s at all. I'm talking about the fact that every single CD I already own is converted to MP3 format. I NEVER EVER listen to my actual CDs anymore. I own an iPOD. Once in a blue moon I might spin a CD, but I am out the house from 7am to 7pm (I need my music to be portable).

Let me clarify: If all of my CDs disappeared and in their place was an MP3 player filled with completely legal MP3s, I would throw the fucking thing out.

That said, I want to keep my best CDs I own simply because I like to collect them, regardless of whether they ever get pulled off the shelf. It's nice to reference the artwork, lyrics, etc. No question.

Now, if so many of you are voting 0% then that implies you've never flopped out when buying blind. You telling me you haven't EVER bought a CD that was a complete stinker, or above average at best and not worth keeping?

Yeah, it happens, to this day. Who cares? Half the fun is finding out, and half the shit I end up loving, I didn't love when I first listened to it. When I first heard the new Dawnbringer, I was goofing on it, wondering how Chris could do such a thing. Now it's in serious consideration for my #1 of the year. Taking advantage of our modern means of music preview would have meant it disappeared really quick without some sort of investment in figuring it out (or in this case, a physical guide showing what the hell is going on in the sound).

Let me clarify: If all of my CDs disappeared and in their place was an MP3 player filled with completely legal MP3s, I would throw the fucking thing out.

Huh? What difference does the listening medium make? I couldn't live without my IPOD, and I'm certainly not going to walk around with a CD walkman anymore. :lol: And the point that's being missed here is that you would only keep the CDs that you thought were worth keeping.

Yeah, it happens, to this day. Who cares? Half the fun is finding out

Er, no. That's not fun at all, buying a CD with great expectations and it turning out to be a dud and you've just spent $15 so now you have to sell it or trade it at a loss. Basic economics would suggest that's pretty retarded.

Taking advantage of our modern means of music preview would have meant it disappeared really quick without some sort of investment in figuring it out (or in this case, a physical guide showing what the hell is going on in the sound).

Believe me when I say that at 36 years old, and having been listening to metal since 1984, I don't need (read: trust) anyone else telling me what I like before I myself sample the goods. :cool:

Huh? What difference does the listening medium make?

Have MP3s caught up with CDs in sound quality?

I'm certainly not going to walk around with a CD walkman anymore.

I do. With big headphones.

Er, no. That's not fun at all, buying a CD with great expectations and it turning out to be a dud and you've just spent $15 so now you have to sell it or trade it at a loss. Basic economics would suggest that's pretty retarded.

Basic economics have not much to do with luxury and/or art purchases. Not to me, anyway.

Believe me when I say that at 36 years old, and having been listening to metal since 1984, I don't need (read: trust) anyone else telling me what I like before I myself sample the goods. :cool:

Yeah, a review had better be written with a greater perspective than "buy" or "don't buy" these days to be worth reading.

Do I qualify? :p

I don't rip anything less than 192 K. Sometimes 256K but it's probably overkill.

Sorry, but I only want my CD collection to consist of albums I would deem as an "8/10" or higher (on my personal scale). It's at that point when the music is art -- anything less ranges anywhere from complete turd to popcorn trash to guilty pleasure. (Although I'd keep the guilty pleasures). :D

I don't rip anything less than 192 K. Sometimes 256K but it's probably overkill.

Sorry, but I only want my CD collection to consist of albums I would deem as an "8/10" or higher (on my personal scale). It's at that point when the music is art -- anything less ranges anywhere from complete turd to popcorn trash to guilty pleasure. (Although I'd keep the guilty pleasures). :D

... or something that tried and failed to be something. There can be some excellent songs on an album in that lower 79%... or historical relevance... I'm stocking up on older albums again (many of which I previously had and sold instead of taking them to Finland, hahahahahahha...) and a lot of that is for reference material more than listening material. Although it's best when it works as both. :D

And if I ever really have serious money, I'm going to invest in a turntable and then it will be the end of the CD collection. heh.

... or something that tried and failed to be something. There can be some excellent songs on an album in that lower 79%... or historical relevance...

Absolutely. The albums I keep will be:

- classic, 10/10 buy or die
- very good 8/10 or 9/10
- sentimental / guilty pleasure
- collectors item / rare / special packaging
- important "milestone" releases, stuff I rarely listen to (even on MP3) but I need to keep -- e.g. Darkthrone's "Transilvanian Hunger"

But I can honestly say that over the last 15 years, I'd guess that at least HALF of my collection doesn't fit into any of those categories. I've never traded or sold on a massive scale (except once to Chedsey).

And if I ever really have serious money, I'm going to invest in a turntable and then it will be the end of the CD collection. heh.

I've been promising to buy myself a turntable for the last 12 months. In the meantime, I buy vinyl either way. Lots of cool Empyrium, Slough Feg, and Agalloch etc -- all perfect for the analog sound.

I still say that I would like my percent to be 0. If I like an album enough to listen to it at all, even just on mp3s, I want a hard copy of it. That's just the way that I am. I have no problem keeping albums that are not truly gems because they are still fun to pull out and listen to once in a while. But I suppose that I have a good deal more interaction with my CD collection than you, since I only use mp3s when I'm on the computer. Any other time I'm listening to actual CDs. In fact, I have Piece Of Time in my CD player in my pocket right now. Not saying I wouldn't prefer to have an mp3 player, but I don't.

I used to be one of you old school types, but I'm in a situation where an Ipod makes all the sense in the world. Once I got started, it didn't make since to just put a few CDs on it, so I put pretty much all of them on. Now my CDs sit on a shelf where they remain in excellent condition. I sell off most of the ones I don't like. Then I wish I wouldn't have sold a few of them.

I haven't ruled out the idea of buying an mp3 player even though I don't consider it a necessity, and would never use one as a replacement for my stereo ...listening to albums in their entirety on laptop speakers just doesn't work for me, and the idea of a digital format superceding CDs disgusts me. I agree with Jay that the most useful thing about mp3s is taking the dangers out of impulse buying.

Reactions: dorian gray
Yeah, it happens, to this day. Who cares? Half the fun is finding out, and half the shit I end up loving, I didn't love when I first listened to it.

Exactly. This is like finding out what others bought you for Christmas, and then opening the present and "Thanks! I know I'll love it because I've already used it." BORING!

Jeez people, it's a few dollars. It's the same when you rent or go see a movie at the theater. Do you watch the movies on your computer first? At least if the CD is a stinker you can get some return from selling it.

/\ Indeed. I usually just listen to two to three songs to make up my mind whether or not an album is worth purchasing for further inspection. Most of the time, I'm quite pleased with the outcome.

If the band/label doesn't post free samples, then I don't hear it until the album comes out. Hell, I wouldn't even listen to my Katatonia promo because it had voice-overs.

I haven't ruled out the idea of buying an mp3 player even though I don't consider it a necessity, and would never use one as a replacement for my stereo ...listening to albums in their entirety on laptop speakers just doesn't work for me, and the idea of a digital format superceding CDs disgusts me. I agree with Jay that the most useful thing about mp3s is taking the dangers out of impulse buying.

Quoted for motherfucking truth.