Today's official "HI GUISE.." thread

Omtra

New Metal Member
Mar 26, 2009
Moscow, Russia
"How do i rekord kewl!??!?!"

So, i've been into recording for about 3-4 months. Got some results, but its still crap, and i wanted to ask some questions. First one - how should i pan all the stuff right? Guitars and bass especially.

For example, now i record rhytm guitar twice and clone channels (4 overall). Should i record it twice with different settings or same? Back to panning. Now i do it like that: 2 channels go to left and right, both 100%. And the remaining 2 - about 50-60%. I tried many variations, but they still suck. Now to bass. I record it once, then clone it. I put those 2 channels around the center, left and right, ~20%. Or should i put it more aside? For drums i use EZDrummer with some filters and Andy kick samples, and its enough YET. Well, here's an picture (LOL):

15gwfab.jpg

Now to guitars. I tried to use many stuff (Revalver, GTR, Guitar rig), but still i get awful plastic sound. Probably its all about mixing? So, heres a request - could you please upload some raw (without any manipulations, only mp3-conversion) guitar riffs for me, after mixing which sound pretty decent? Just to compare my shit with it.

Bass sound. I play with pick (actually im not a bass player), and i dunno why, but when in mix, bass sounds with different volume all the time. One moment i can hardly hear it, in a second it is too loud or smth. Whats the matter?

BTW, equipment - Gibson Les Paul, E-MU 1616, my noobage.
Soo, it was a first question pack. Sorry for english, if smth :loco:

cloning a guitar track so you have identical copies of it playing at the same time does nothing.

For a simple starting point:

guitar 1 left 100%
guitar 2 right 100%
bass guitar centre
kick centre
snare centre
OHs L (75-100)% R(75-100)%

cloning tracks does nothing to help you unless you are going to be processing one differently. Stick away from this for now.

Uneven bass volume is a problem to almost everyone, but to quote many people "fix as close to the source as you can" i.e. try and and keep the volume constant as you play. Other than that just compress it to hell and back. There are other tricks you might want to pick up on later but compression is a good starting point

yeah lower that guitar track it kills the whole recording, i can't even notice if there's actually a base drum there, just make it as present as the drums, no more, nor less

It's also pumping like crazy. Back off on the compression!

+1 And then the cymbals should be less "all over the place" which might make the kick come out more. And it seems the release of the compressor is very long. And that 2/1, 3/1, 4/1 thingy on compressors is because, like, if you put 2/1 it means the volume will go between 2 and 1... roughly said. :p And drums have lots of volume variations so you might want to put 4/1. And I personally prefer to put lots of compression on the drums but not on the whole mix and now it feels like the whole mix is smashed, which imho makes everything sound woofy. So I cannot comment the guitar and bass tone.

And I think you will never be able to fully test a mix when it is not tightly played.

That's a bit better dude.

The key to a good sounding track, whether the production is great or not, it tight playing. If you've got a good performance and good music, it'll shine through bad production. I mean some of the albums Scott Burns produced are absolute CLASSICS despite the fact they sound awful.
So be a total cunt to yourself about playing tight. Bitch yourself out if you do a bad take and refuse to settle for second best.