doubling guitars and bassvst and eq question

poliver

I fuck Zelda for breakfas
Nov 11, 2009
sorry if these questions are noobish but so am i. i don't have an internet access at where i live, so please don't yell. any links to other posts or articles or books will be greatly appreciated.

recently i've read about that for rhythm guitars you need to record them twice and pan them to extremes for fatter sound. this works! before that i was delaying the same guitar by some ms on the other side. Now I read the article that says you can record twice and send also the delayed versions on the opposite speaker. I tried doing that and sound sound too unrealistic like synth, like it has and effect some sort on it like flanger or chorus. maybe i'm setting the delay too long. i've tried different times still sounds blurry, undefined. any tips? or i shouldn't be doing this i am aiming for hardcore sound.

and how should i pan a lead guitar when i already have rhythm doubled on both sides? center?
and when on the rhythm harmony kicks in, they still should be panned to extremes? won't that sound weird? i really can't just properly judge that by my own recordings.

any advice on bass vst? i need something to fill the bass gap, that wouldn't stand out, or be noticable, but still would be there. i mean i don't have any slap solos or stuff in my songs. i've been using the standard midi bass so far and sometimes it sounds shiity :heh: .

and really noobish EQ question, i know about lows, mid-lows, mid-highs, highs and stuff. but i can't put it to use. i'm supposed to give the instrements their frequency range, but when i do that they start sounding sorta dull. like i leave bass and kick in the lows, kick under the bass. guitars in mids, vocals in midhighs and highs. i don;t boost frequencies just cut everything around them. i tried changing frequencies but still sounds sound really altered not like they should.

For the guitars, the best thing i've come to is quadtrack, no delay shit, just two 100% L/R different takes, playing really tight, then two tracks more, panned something like 70% L/R like 5db less than the others. I wouldn't go with doublers or delays for guitars.

Take a look at Ermz mixing tips (in this forum), those helped me a lot on realizing you actually need to base your sound on ORIGINALLY good sounds, you can make a shitty bass sound better, NOT GOOD. and that sort of stuff. For the bass guitar, as i don't own one, i don't pitch shift but that's good enough sometimes, instead i use this very simple chain:
DI--gate--ampeg vst, with octaver adjusted to taste, lowpass, and tiny eq's, not trying to make it sound more than it actually can. Kind'a works on my stuff.

recently i've read about that for rhythm guitars you need to record them twice and pan them to extremes for fatter sound. this works! before that i was delaying the same guitar by some ms on the other side. Now I read the article that says you can record twice and send also the delayed versions on the opposite speaker. I tried doing that and sound sound too unrealistic like synth, like it has and effect some sort on it like flanger or chorus. maybe i'm setting the delay too long. i've tried different times still sounds blurry, undefined. any tips? or i shouldn't be doing this i am aiming for hardcore sound.

No need for more if you do double-track for hardcore IMO. You can avoid copy/paste in this case. Whatever works for you, how much are you delaying it BTW?

and how should i pan a lead guitar when i already have rhythm doubled on both sides? center?

Yep still double rthms panned , lead to the center or 50% or pan hard too if two lead guits...

and when on the rhythm harmony kicks in, they still should be panned to extremes? won't that sound weird? i really can't just properly judge that by my own recordings.

I do keep rhythm harmonies panned

any advice on bass vst? i need something to fill the bass gap, that wouldn't stand out, or be noticable, but still would be there. i mean i don't have any slap solos or stuff in my songs. i've been using the standard midi bass so far and sometimes it sounds shiity :heh: .

and really noobish EQ question, i know about lows, mid-lows, mid-highs, highs and stuff. but i can't put it to use. i'm supposed to give the instrements their frequency range, but when i do that they start sounding sorta dull. like i leave bass and kick in the lows, kick under the bass. guitars in mids, vocals in midhighs and highs. i don;t boost frequencies just cut everything around them. i tried changing frequencies but still sounds sound really altered not like they should.

I think there are plenty of great tips lately, search for metal bass and you'll find.