How do EQ Bass ~This is killing me...

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys!
I posted up a bassless mix last week to some nice feedback, and I've since had the bassist in for this band doing the bass tracks. The bass tone was really nice on the way in, nice amount of highs and lows ect, but I just can't get it to sit right! The D.I track has been high passed @ 400hz with a bit of a boost at 500hz, and that sound fine.

But the bass track that I run through the amp sim/ or not even, just sits too low and I cant get it to gel well enough with the guitars.

I'll post the clip just a little later, but fork me. I'm a little stressed over this!

Any advice???

Cheers

i had a lot of trouble getting a good bass tone, then i realized (with some help of the forum)
it's wrong strings and crappy playing, make sure it's played well etc.

get rid of high frequencies, add a little bit distortion and compress the shit out of it!
that's how i do it.

cheers
S.

The D.I track has been high passed @ 400hz with a bit of a boost at 500hz, and that sound fine.

Don't you mean high cut at 400 Hz?

As Soultrash already said, compression is such an important factor for getting the bass to sit well. Especially if it's been played with fingers.

I sometimes do parallel compression on bass to get both, the beefy low-end and the attack.

I have had luck reamping with my sans amp bass driver di, and sending the signal to two aux tracks. one gets a svt 15" impulse, the other is distorted using logics amp designer on a hi gain amp model with a 4x10 cab impulse (usually the blackface4x10 cab in amp designer) these tracks are sent to another aux, along with the clean sansamp reamp track to be compressed. I may eq this aux track, or if it makes more sense, I will eq one of the seperate aux tracks before or after the impulse depending on whether it needs it or not. usually hi/lo pass eqing, sometimes a bell subtractive eq in the low mid area. usually hi/low pass on individual tracks, and low mid cut on the svt 15" impulse track.

I would love to buy an ampeg bass stack with a 4x10 cab, 15" cab, and a yamaha sub kick. maybe just the cabs, and a power amp, with the sansamp running as the pre. Not many people here are micing up bass stacks and posting clips haha andy`s work on megadeths bass is insane!

These days I am running a clean di, a cleanish sansamp sound, and a guitar amp sim. All are compressed individually 3 or 4:1 looking for 3-10db of compression and then I'll often bus them and throw another compressor on doing less. I'll high pass the distortion at 200hz and give it a boost around 700 and 2kish to get some "meanness." The other two I mix to sound good together and then I bring the distortion in to make it sit well.

Andy's work on the megadeth is indeed fantastic-- of course James Lomenzo is an absolute monster.