Tom Araya disses new Metallica

joey78

Mar 5, 2004
India
Austrian heavy 'zine Stormbringer.at conducted an interview with bassist/vocalist Tom Araya of the California thrash metal veterans SLAYER prior to the band's November 16, 2008 concert in Vienna, Austria. Watch the 24-minute chat below.

During the interview, Araya was asked if he has heard METALLICA's new album, "Death Magnetic", and what he thinks of it. "You don't wanna know," Araya replied. "I heard the album. That's all you wanna know. I heard the album… That's why when they [the SLAYER management] said, 'We wanna release this [new SLAYER song], 'Psychopathy Red'.' And this is after listening to the [METALLICA] album. I'm like, 'Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Let's release this song and give it away, because at least the fans will know what they're getting with our album.' [Laughs] I'm being serious. When I heard the METALLICA album, it didn't appeal to me at all. And all I could think about was, 'Man, what happened?' And then they wanted to record three songs to help sell the tour, that we're working on new material, and I'm like, I thought it was a great idea to release this song. Because people then can have something to compare something to — [show them] that Rick [Rubin, SLAYER and METALLICA producer] still has it. It wasn't Rick. And that was kind of a way to show people, 'Hey, it's not Rick Rubin. It's the band. It's what the band brings to the table. People are always comparing albums. So now they have something that they can compare it to. And they know that this is what they're gonna be getting with our record. You're gonna be getting SLAYER."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=109075

Couldn't agree more!!! The new Metallica cd SUCKS something awful!! (Not that the last few Slayer albums have been gems)
Slayer are more than capable of turning it around and putting out something crazy heavy where Metallica will be back at the shrinks office again.... I feel bad for R.T. !!

Austrian heavy 'zine Stormbringer.at conducted an interview with bassist/vocalist Tom Araya of the California thrash metal veterans SLAYER prior to the band's November 16, 2008 concert in Vienna, Austria. Watch the 24-minute chat below.

During the interview, Araya was asked if he has heard METALLICA's new album, "Death Magnetic", and what he thinks of it. "You don't wanna know," Araya replied. "I heard the album. That's all you wanna know. I heard the album… That's why when they [the SLAYER management] said, 'We wanna release this [new SLAYER song], 'Psychopathy Red'.' And this is after listening to the [METALLICA] album. I'm like, 'Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Let's release this song and give it away, because at least the fans will know what they're getting with our album.' [Laughs] I'm being serious. When I heard the METALLICA album, it didn't appeal to me at all. And all I could think about was, 'Man, what happened?' And then they wanted to record three songs to help sell the tour, that we're working on new material, and I'm like, I thought it was a great idea to release this song. Because people then can have something to compare something to — [show them] that Rick [Rubin, SLAYER and METALLICA producer] still has it. It wasn't Rick. And that was kind of a way to show people, 'Hey, it's not Rick Rubin. It's the band. It's what the band brings to the table. People are always comparing albums. So now they have something that they can compare it to. And they know that this is what they're gonna be getting with our record. You're gonna be getting SLAYER."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=109075

Well, I didn't think the Metallica album outright SUCKED, but it was pretty meh. The only really good songs were All Nightmare Long and That was Just your Life. Many of the songs feel bloated or not very well-written. Luckily I wasn't expecting too much anyway...

About this whole thing, though, I don't think it's really good to diss other musicians, especially contemporaries, in interviews. It's not the classiest thing to do. (Though Slayer aren't exactly known for being "Classy". :lol:)

this from tom araya?!

of COURSE you know what you're getting with slayer, they've released the same album 8 times over.

there are some good songs on load, and death magnetic is a damn good album. Slayer release the same thing over and over and over. stream Seasons' title track and Angel of Death 12 times. there's your album.

It seems that the only way slayer can get themselves noticed is by disrespecting metallica, honestly, almost every slayer article i've read in the past 10 - 15 years has had some negative mention of metallica in it..... perhaps if slayer had written anything decent in this time frame then they wouldn't have to bring up metallica to get noticed..... in conclusion, if it wasn't for metallica, slayer would be finished..... would anybody care???

Whilst I am rather fond of Death Magnetic and don't agree with Tom I will state that SLAYER are still fantastic (understatement). What you see is what you get with them.

Perhaps tom should concentrate on releasing something thats actually as good or better than death magnetic [they havent even released something tolerable since SITA in 1990] before he bashes it

Tom is a catholic but yet writes about anti-christian stuff just to sell records. Hypocrisy if you ask me. All the cursing of Christianity in their lyrics is way way overdone.

Yeah he usually leaves the slamming bands to Kerry King

Yeah, maybe King hasn´t slammed bands like in his younger days recently. Back in the days King could call Mustaine a "fuck-tard", laugh at Metallica and diss 43 new bands before his morning beer. Now he lets out a meager "meh".

Araya had to take it upon himself. I guess James is supposed to ponder this and care. "Alright! "Death Magnetic" sold 200 000 last week BUT Slayer still think we suck. Got to aim for Arayas stamp of approval on the next record."

Yeah, I´m just writing nonsense.

Tom is a catholic but yet writes about anti-christian stuff just to sell records. Hypocrisy if you ask me. All the cursing of Christianity in their lyrics is way way overdone.

Hey, the kids (well a large sum of their fans is in their 40´s) love it and it sells. He´s not the first follower of Abrahamitic religions to belive his true god Mamon.

Actually that's technically incorrect. Kerry writes most of the anti-religious stuff. Tom usually writes the War, violence themed orientated songs.

Well I am a Catholic too but whilst I don't necessarily agree with Slayer's lyrics - I still love their music. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's no different to me than one of my athiest/agnostic friends who talks to me about his beliefs or lack of.

But I will state that whilst I love Death Magnetic that I have really enjoyed nearly all of Slayer's albums over the past decade. Christ Illusion and GHUA were great.

I love Slayer's music and i love Metallica too.

The way i see it is, some people change, some don't. At the end of the day it's about being true to yourself.
Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus - all started playing thrash.Somewhere along the way Metallica and Megadeth decided to do something different(eg, load, reload, Cryptic, Risk). Some may say they compromised, i dont agree. They were doing what they felt like doing and it sounded like they were enjoying it - to me that is what matters.

When i listen to Load andReload - irrespective of whether the music is thrash or metal or whatever - i see a band playing with passion, making music that they want to, writing from the heart. Touching on themes that symbolize where they are in their life at that point.

When i listen to St Anger and Death Magnetic, all i see is a band coerced into doing something that they do not want to do. To me the aggression doesn't sound natural and it never will ,because it is forced.

With Exodus, Anthrax, Slayer - they still enjoy playing aggressive music.

LIke Araya said, "it's what you bring to the table that matters, not the producer".
Metallica bring no aggression to the table because the circumstances in their life have made them change, they are not in the same headspace that they were in 85 and there's nothing wrong in that.

Benante's comment about the new Anthrax record not being forced was - IMHO - a dig at Metallica.

Interesting post joey78 and I tend to agree with most of it. Whilst I was quick to state Metallica sold out when I was younger when Load & Reload came out I have realised too that as I hit my latter 30s I find myself listening to more melodic / hard rock music - I still love the thrash stuff but I found my tastes, opinions and attitudes have changed.

That's life.

Whilst I was quick to state Metallica sold out when I was younger when Load & Reload came out I have realised too that as I hit my latter 30s I find myself listening to more melodic / hard rock music - I still love the thrash stuff but I found my tastes, opinions and attitudes have changed.

That's life.

same here mate. To be honest i wish Metallica would have kept going in the same direction they took on load/reload. A few rockers like fuel, aint my bitch but also some thought provoking tunes like Low Man's lyrics, mama said.

With megadeth as well i can't really get into their last 3 records, i loved Cryptic and Risk though.

Kerry writes most of the anti-religious stuff. Tom usually writes the War, violence themed orientated songs.

I want to see their work schedule.

1: Message Kerry for lyrics to "Christ-douche" and appologise for own crappy attempt at lyrics.

2: Finish lyrics to "Warfist, Fastwar, Fisted D-war-f."

3: Explain to Metal Hammer that Joey Belladonna isn´t trüe. If time permits diss someone else to cause stirr in media.

4: Fire Dave Lombardo.

:headbang:

Forced or not I really like Death Magnetic and if Metallica was not so into it I doubt they would be playing 6 songs of it live at shows,they did not do that for St anger or Reload.

I think Tom and Kerry should just give it up as far as dissing Metallica,its stupid as I like both there music as do many other fans.

I feel Charlie is Jealous of Metallicas success and he diged them most likely and if you have seen the thrash metal documentry Get Thrashed even tries to say Metallica never influenced Anthrax which I belive is BS.

Will see how good the new Anthrax is none of there albums have ever let me down like Slayers or Metallicas I will say that.

I'm just tired of the singer drama.

Yeah Anthrax has been the only one of the "Big Four" consistantly putting out good albums. Tom Araya should listen to Christ Illusion before he criticizes another band's album. That album is a piece of garbage just like St. Anger and Risk were. At least I have listened to Death Magnetic all the way through quite a few times and for the most part enjoyed it. It doesn't seem "forced" to me. It's a decent album by a band that hadn't done one in a while. I listened to Christ Illusion exactly once and was pretty much bored to death by it. I haven't enjoyed an entire Slayer album since Divine Intervention. (that being said I still think Slayer is the greatest live metal band ever.) Hopefully Slayer will put out a decent album this time.